Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

What's happening to JavaScipt on FF?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Without me doing anything, lately websites are telling me that JavaScript is disabled on my browser, which is FF (whatever the latest version is). I didn't change any settings before this happened. I see this error on two sites: Google Maps and Hotmail.

I am using NoScript, but I don't think that's it because of the two sites this happens on, Google Maps has all of the 'scripts' allowed and Hotmail has some ads blocked. The funny thing is, Google Maps will give me the error if I let FF autofill the address, but if I manually type 'maps.google.com' and press <ENTER>, it goes to the site and works perfectly.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: What's happening to JavaScipt on FF?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm

I only use FF Dev (63.0b4 (64-bit)) but mine is working fine. I am no way in heck signing up for Hotmail to check that particular use case for you, but Maps works fine for me and doesn't do what you described in my particular case. I have no extensions/plug ins installed on that FF instance.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Over the years I've had all sorts of weird errors in Google maps, most of which were fixed by clearing cookies. I don't know if they don't regression test script updates against old cookies or if they just have buggy code, but it certainly seems like malformed data can confuse it. Not saying that's the solution in your case, but it might work and (other than logging you out) it shouldn't hurt.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Are you using Decentraleyes? I was having similar problems, and I found that disabling Decentraleyes solved it.

I'm using version 63.0b3 (beta).

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Launch about:config in the address bar, type java in the config search bar, in FF 59.x.x the second item will be enable java script which you can toggle true/false by right clicking and then left clicking toggle. If it says true then the problem is either the website or no script or your FF install is corrupted.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm

This is almost certainly noscript. I've seen those sort of errors on websites where even upon bringing up the noscript menu there aren't any other domains i can grant temporary access to.

I've actually started using two Firefox installs, one with noscript (actually PaleMoon because I like some of the old plugins) and one without (regular FF). If a site fails on my default noscripted instance I just copy the address onto the other FF and it usually works great.