Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Antivirus software

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Windows Defender is all you need for traditional viruses, because traditional viruses aren't the main attack method any more; the proliferation of free and OS-included AV has made them a high-investment, low-return option for people trying to exploit you, so most of them have moved on to exploiting you and your browsing habits instead of your OS vulnerabilities.

This is why Malwarebytes is the closest I get to traditional AV these days...it's been years since I even heard of a traditional virus threat, it's all social engineering and occasionally a browser exploit.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Same, w10 and defender with malwarebytes, i got lucky and got one of those lifetime licenses for 30$ back in the day and got grandfathered in :)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Jolynn Cassani
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:11 am

I am planning to try Bitdefender. Any experience?
Work hard, and never give up on your dreams.

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:37 am

Jolynn Cassani wrote:

It's a pretty good product, but I found it to be aggressive - a bit too aggressive. After having used BitDefender for four years, last month I tired of the struggle and switched all of our household PCs and laptops to Trend Micro. The reason? Bitdefender kept interfering with my access to network devices, such as my NAS and HP printer. Even after setting up exclusions in Bitdefender and researching the issue several times, the device blocking still occurred in some cases, and on multiple machines (in fairness Windows 10 seemed to have been less affected than Windows 7, but NOT totally unaffected). Since the switch to TM, the device blocking problem appears to have ceased.

Jolynn Cassani
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:21 am

Lucky Jack Aubrey wrote:
Jolynn Cassani wrote:

It's a pretty good product, but I found it to be aggressive - a bit too aggressive. After having used BitDefender for four years, last month I tired of the struggle and switched all of our household PCs and laptops to Trend Micro. The reason? Bitdefender kept interfering with my access to network devices, such as my NAS and HP printer. Even after setting up exclusions in Bitdefender and researching the issue several times, the device blocking still occurred in some cases, and on multiple machines (in fairness Windows 10 seemed to have been less affected than Windows 7, but NOT totally unaffected). Since the switch to TM, the device blocking problem appears to have ceased.

Which package of Trend Micro are the best home laptops and window 10?
Work hard, and never give up on your dreams.

Sebby
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:16 am

For me, Kaspersky is the best!

ScannerSparkly
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 am

I've used Malwarebytes for a while, seems alright. After previous experience with viruses I just try to be more careful and not download random stuff or click on suspect links and it seems to work ok.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:52 am

Does Bitdefender play nice with batch files? Both Avast and Kaspersky periodically nuke some batch scripts I run as scheduled tasks, claiming they are "potentially unwanted programs". That behaviour is hella annoying because I use a lot of batch scripts to pull data off of servers I administer so I can very quickly up a VM image in case something fails.