Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

"Single Signon" Browser Tabs...does something like this even exist?

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:47 pm

So once each week, sometimes more often, I pay my bills going forward up to 3 weeks. In preparation for this, I log onto my bill pay, checking, savings, 401K, credit card, and corporate financial institution accounts via Firefox. Twice each month, I also log onto my electric, water, cable, cell, and ISP accounts for planning and payment.

I dread this each week...not doing my finances; that's actually fun. It's the damned logging on for each institution or provider that makes me dread it. It's so painful and with the special character requirements, I have a fair number of mistakes and redos. This is a lot of password hassle. I swear to you that passwords are not working for us. Oh yeah, and then quite a few of them will time me out and kill the session before I can finish my work. It feels like my checking account waits 45 seconds and times me out.

This is like death by a thousand paper cuts. Is there any way for me to reduce the pain and tedium of all those logons by using a "single signon" web browser tool of some sort to authenticate myself only ONE TIME, and have it open a tab and log me on for each accounts I've defined to it? Maybe a macro of some sort?

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Re: "Single Signon" Browser Tabs...does something like this even exist?

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Have your browser remember your login info? Then you will just have to type the master password for the browser to provide you with access to all the individual ones. You could also use some external password manager like KeePass. In any case, being able to paste passwords will take care of the problem with typing mistakes. It can also be argued that copy/paste can be safer against malware that uses key loggers to capture your passwords.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:02 pm

There would also be super easy for malware to look at the contents of your clipboard. I personally have not yet found a password manager I like. I’m interested to hear the rest of the responses

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 pm

The "staying signed-in" is likely an issue with the respective website. Of course you don't want to remain signed-in after using it, so it's a "balancing" act.

https://krypt.co/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-QtcwS-Nk

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:32 pm

You're wanting a password manager. I use Lastpass but there are others, such as KeePass. Choose a nice long, complicated password for the manager and then let it create randomized, unique passwords for individual websites.

Recommended practices: have a memorizable password* for the password manager and a different one for your primary email account, so if things go completely pear-shaped you're not locked out. I strongly recommend enabling two-factor authentication for at least those two things as well; I use a Yubikey (one with me and one backup in a safe place), and for services that don't use that I have Authy on my phone.

* generated with Diceware.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 am

I have a password manager. I use eWallet, because it works with Windows, Android, and iOS.

But it only works "sometimes" as a single signon mechanism. For example, it won't work with websites that have one page for the account name and a different page or screen for the password entry. For others, it doesn't always work, resulting in an "invalid password" message. And for those sites that it DOES work, I have to log on to each site... one. at. a. time.

That is frustratingly slow. I'm already logging on to a known set of sites, and would just like to log on to all of them "ALLATONCE" (TM). Are there other password management tools that work on Windows AND iOS?

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 am

I use LastPass and don't see those kinds of issues. I will suggest that if you use a password manager or similar that MFA is strongly recommended. I part for premium and use a Yibikey. Totally worth it. I should also add that LastPass has browser add-ons, Windows 10 app, iOS, Android, etc. It's very widely supported.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:22 am

Lastpass lets you edit a given site's entry so that instead of pointing at e.g. <https://site.domain.tld/login/login.php> you can set it for <https://site.domain.tld> or <https://domain.tld>. It also has something called "equivalent domains" that's good for different domains using the same credentials, as protonvpn.com and protonmail.com do. It also works (for me, at least) on websites like Gmail that have you enter your username on one screen and password on the next.

I'm not familiar with other password managers so I can't say if others have an equivalent feature. I also don't know of anything that will securely let you automatically log into a list of websites in the background; this feels like it'd be a security risk to me anyway.

As to getting kicked off the website after you log in: maybe browser settings. Try a different browser or create a second Firefox profile to test with.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

BIF
Gold subscriber
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:41 pm

I didn't know that Lastpass could do all that. I will investigate. It may be worth switching...

llisandro
Gerbil

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Another satisfied LastPass user here. Used to use it with a Ubikey 2FA, now I just use Google Authenticator.
There are occasionally sites that get borked and I have to manually enter something- usually something like it suggests passing my password into the popup where I'm meant to type a one-time password sent to me by my bank or somesuch, so I generally disable auto-login and just have lastpass fill in the fields for me. My feeling was this more of a problem a few years ago- it doesn't happen to me very often any more, definitely not on any of my routine banking/CC/etc sites.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Just signed up for lastpass. Is there any way to import from chrome, or ideally, iPhone passwords?