Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Dposcorp

f0d
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

need help with citrix and new floor planning software for potentially new job

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 am

hey all
i may potentially have a new job if i can sort out a floor planning program and fix citrix issues

first off im usually more of a laborer driving forklifts and doing warehousey type stuff but im damn cluey with computers and IT type things, this position isnt even anything i asked for but when i was at my girlfriends work breakup party the bosses there were quizzing me about IT things since i have already solved a bunch of their issues they had that their current (and previous) IT people either couldnt be bothered fixing or diddnt know how to (all basic stuff)

anyways they are having major issues with citrix running slow as hell (i have never seen or used citrix before) and im guessing its a network or internet issue, they have adsl and where they are not much better is available unfortunately (im from australia which should explain that) i have done some googling and there seems to be some citrix performance tools available which im going to look into further when i can but i was hoping some of you brainiacs might have some quick tips for me

also they need a fast and easy to use floor planning software that is better than what they have, their workers that are using the current one (i have no idea which software) take way too long using it and its very expensive for them to use (they pay per floor plan and per user with current software) im hoping to find some improvement as they dont need much detail just basic doors windows room sizes and stuff like that but being fast and easy to use - so a tradie can easily use it on site on a microsoft surface
i was even thinking of paying someone else to write a program specifically for them then they wont have to pay per user and per floorplan but i have no idea where to go for such things and what the cost will be - any help with that would be greatly appreciated

this is a government job so im probably limited in what i can or cant do or even if i could do it but they are about to fire their second IT guy in around a year because stuff just isnt getting done and they seem super keen on getting me in there (even though the only quals i have are for a bunch of basic computer diplomas and cisco from around 25 years ago)
(edit: i wont be active for a few hours as its 1:30am and im going to bed so i cant answer anything till morning - i should have wrote this earlier lol)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Re: need help with citrix and new floor planning software for potentially new job

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 am

Citrix needs bandwidth. Lots of it.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

f0d
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: need help with citrix and new floor planning software for potentially new job

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 am

well that explains that issue
im guessing the latency of a 4G cellular connection would rule that out too

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Citrix relies on Windows Terminal Services for doing its magic, with adding their own internal sauce to it. Imagine it's like Windows' Remote Desktop Protocol on steroids. This protocol works really quick for "Windows Primitive" elements such as buttons, captions, text, scroll bars, etc. These get transmitted really easy by Citrix to the remote user (i.e. render button in this location with this text) However, with custom elements (custom buttons, logos, pictures, etc.) it has to transmit complete bitmaps (i.e. send a bit-by-bit picture, or a compressed version of it, but it will still be an image) to the remote user, which will increase bandwidth consumption. This is a crude explanation of the remoting aspect of Citrix, but hope it clarifies some things (AFAIK) . If you're accessing outlook, internet explorer or any browser, custom mail clients with icons through Citrix, your network consumption will increase significantly.

The other side of things is how Citrix works in the background: Imagine a remote person log into a server, and then start their own applications. Another person logs in, and opens their applications, and another one. Now you have three sessions in the one Citrix server. Resource allocation is important in Citrix deployments, and typically these servers need to be beefy (i.e. RAM, CPU, HDD Space) to support many people.

I've had no problems with LTE connections with Citrix using Outlook + Internet Explorer for some clients in the past. My guess would be the network access is terrible in this case :)