Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Firefox's Addons Disabled

Sun May 05, 2019 12:46 am

A few days ago, one of the certificates used to prove the chain of trust for addons for Mozilla Firefox expired, and this has resulted in all addons being disabled in the Firefox browser.
I've personally experienced this on Firefox for Android and Windows.
A fix is currently being rolled out on the server-side, so its just a matter of sitting tight until the update takes effect.

I was surprised to see there wasn't a thread already on this topic, given the popularity of Firefox within such circles.

Ari Atari
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Re: Firefox's Addons Disabled

Sun May 05, 2019 2:06 am

Just to parrot other people: "Don't try deleting the add-on as a fix! If you sit tight you won't lose the add-on data."

Some of the thing is that the check doesn't all happen at the same time, so some people got the problem as late as today. My desktop had this problem three days sooner than my phone for instance.

If you need to get things working ASAP you can change xpinstall.signatures.required to false, but all this does is disable the check for all add-ons which defeats the purpose a bit. Just don't forget to turn it back on in a week or so.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2019 2:10 am

Ari Atari wrote:
My desktop had this problem three days sooner than my phone for instance.

Good warning on not trying to uninstall/reinstall addons. And I too had a gap of a couple of days between the problem occurring on my phone and desktop, as well.

Ari Atari wrote:
If you need to get things working ASAP you can change xpinstall.signatures.required to false

Nice, I didn't know this workaround. Thank you. It seems like a server-side fix is on the horizon, so I'll probably just hang tight until then.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 05, 2019 3:53 am

This happened to my desktop a few hours ago.

If you prefer not change a config line (for fear of forgetting to set it back later) it's also possible to go into about:debugging and re-load your stuff as temporary plugins. The actual .xpi files should be in your user profile directory in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2019 9:13 pm

So, I received Firefox 66.0.4 on my desktop, and the release notes indicates this carries a fix for the issue. After updating, I can confirm that all my add-ons are working, with no action required on my side.

Ditto on Android, I received an update for Firefox, and add-ons are working on Android as well. All but one add-ons were automatically re-enabled, I only had to do so for one (a theme/skin named Black by MaDonna).

Good to see it fixed in a reasonably timely manner (especially with a weekend in the midst), but I'm sure there's a bit of egg on Mozilla's face, as they join the list of big-name companies that forgot to renew something (cert, domain, etc.)

Edit: this release has a few unresolved issues:
  • A small number of add-ons may be listed as unsupported or may not appear in about:addons. Their data is not lost; users should be able to re-install the add-ons and recover the data (Bug 1549129).
  • If add-ons that use Containers functionality (such as Multi-Account Containers and Facebook Container) were disabled as part of this problem, any lost site data or custom configurations for those add-ons will not be recovered by this release. Users may need to set them up and login again in about:addons (Bug 1549204).
  • Themes may not be re-enabled. Users may need to re-enable them in about:addons (Bug 1549022).
  • Home page or search settings customized by an add-on may be reset to defaults. Users may need to customize them again in about:preferences or about:addons (Bug 1549192).

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 05, 2019 9:58 pm

I didn't get bit by this right away; I suppose it was because I leave FF running all the time because when I did close it, my extensions all auto-disabled. Enrolling in the studies program fixed it immediately.

In other Firefox-related news, FF for Android is getting EOL'd late this year. Its replacement was briefly called Fenix and now is Firefox Preview; you'll need to search for an APK if you want to try it out. Two important changes I've noticed: no extensions (I trust this will change) and the address bar, etc. are at the bottom of the screen. The latter feature's starting to grow on me and exists because of how stupid tall modern phone screens are.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I didn't get bit by this right away; I suppose it was because I leave FF running all the time because when I did close it, my extensions all auto-disabled.

No, I think it was just luck of the draw. I had Firefox running on my desktop for nearly a week (i.e. since the latest Patch Tuesday), and yesterday this bit me, without me doing anything significant or relevant (like checking for updates, tinkering with add-ons). It likely verifies the authenticity/trust of add-ons on a timer-driven schedule. Ditto on Android, it's been running for several days, although given memory management on my phone, I can't be sure if the app was reloaded at some point.

bthylafh wrote:
In other Firefox-related news, FF for Android is getting EOL'd late this year. Its replacement was briefly called Fenix and now is Firefox Preview; you'll need to search for an APK if you want to try it out. Two important changes I've noticed: no extensions (I trust this will change) and the address bar, etc. are at the bottom of the screen. The latter feature's starting to grow on me and exists because of how stupid tall modern phone screens are.

Thank you for that PSA, I was utterly unaware of that. I do hope that Firefox Sync works on the replacement app.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 am

arunphilip wrote:
Thank you for that PSA, I was utterly unaware of that. I do hope that Firefox Sync works on the replacement app.

It's got an option to sync with your Firefox account. I'm not using that because this is still alpha and I don't want my account screwed up.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 8:31 am

bthylafh wrote:
arunphilip wrote:

It's got an option to sync with your Firefox account. I'm not using that because this is still alpha and I don't want my account screwed up.

Good to know that feature's there! Yeah, like you, I'll hold off - in my case until it shows up in an app store in beta or better form. I don't sideload apps :)