Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

My pc freezes randomly. / help ?

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello, as the title of the topic says, my pc freezes randomly doesnt matter if im playing or not. My specs are

GPU : AMD RX 580 8GB GIGABYTE
RAM : 8GB RIPJAWS V @2800
Motherboard: ASUS A320M-K Prime
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1500x 3.5GHZ / 3.7GH
Monitor : Samsung C24F390
Mouse : Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Pad : Hyperx Fury S Medium
Keyboard : Mechanical Keyboard RedDragon Yama K550
HeadPhones : HyperX Cloud Stinger
SSD 240GB A400 from Kingston.
PSU: Corsair CX 550

The freezes are short like 2 or 3 seconds.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Re: My pc freezes randomly. / help ?

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:07 pm

You're not giving us much information to work with.

How often does this happen: 10 times a day, once a week, once a month?

You don't say what OS you're using, so I'll assume Windows. Run perfmon, right click on "Monitoring Tools", and choose Reliability Monitor. You'll probably see errors for some days. Click on those days and see what it says on the bottom.

Right click again on Monitoring Tools, choose Resource Monitor, and let it run. Next time you have a freeze, look at what it shows and see if you can identify a problem.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Yan wrote:

You don't say what OS you're using, so I'll assume Windows. Run perfmon, right click on "Monitoring Tools", and choose Reliability Monitor. You'll probably see errors for some days. Click on those days and see what it says on the bottom.

Right click again on Monitoring Tools, choose Resource Monitor, and let it run. Next time you have a freeze, look at what it shows and see if you can identify a problem.

Yes, im using windows 10, im goint to do what you suggested and i will update the thread as soon as i have information. Thanks in advance. This thing happen a few times a day-

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
Yan wrote:

A thing i realised after opening Resource Monitor, where can i found information about freezes in case they happen ?

In Reliabilty Monitor I can only see some errors of games stopping suddenly.

I dont really know what else to do :c

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
A thing i realised after opening Resource Monitor, where can i found information about freezes in case they happen ?

When a freeze happens, see if anything unusual happened, e.g. processor or disk use suddenly changed. Since this happens a few times a day, you shouldn't have to wait long to see if there's a pattern.

You complained about freezes. Are you now saying that games will also suddenly crash?

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Yan wrote:
KeepeRcsgo wrote:

When a freeze happens, see if anything unusual happened, e.g. processor or disk use suddenly changed. Since this happens a few times a day, you shouldn't have to wait long to see if there's a pattern.

You complained about freezes. Are you now saying that games will also suddenly crash?

No, I mean that the only error that i see is when some games crashed, but that was thing of the game not because of the pc.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
Yan wrote:

Yes, im using windows 10, im goint to do what you suggested and i will update the thread as soon as i have information. Thanks in advance. This thing happen a few times a day-

UPDATE:

2 freezes happened since i first wrote the post and they are not registered in any of the tools mentioned above, i dont know what else i can do :c

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:02 pm

You want to have a look at Event Viewer as well as the above suggestions. I would look specifically in System first, and Application second. You may get a clue as to whether you're having disk or memory errors, among other things. You may also want to run chkdsk from command line and initiate Memtest from within Windows.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:29 am

Is this a new build?

If not, anything changed (new hardware, new drivers, or even Windows Update) from before the freezes start occurring?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 am

If you can get an ETW trace showing the problem, that could narrow it down very quickly: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/xperf-basics-recording-a-trace-the-ultimate-easy-way/

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm

MOSFET wrote:
You want to have a look at Event Viewer as well as the above suggestions. I would look specifically in System first, and Application second. You may get a clue as to whether you're having disk or memory errors, among other things. You may also want to run chkdsk from command line and initiate Memtest from within Windows.

I ve looked in System and in Application and there is nothing that could be useful.
I ve run chkdsk and nothing changed and memtest hasnt showed any errors.

Flying Fox wrote:
Is this a new build?

If not, anything changed (new hardware, new drivers, or even Windows Update) from before the freezes start occurring?

The ssd is the only new thing in the build but these freezes started happening even before adding the ssd.

synthtel2 wrote:
If you can get an ETW trace showing the problem, that could narrow it down very quickly: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/xperf-basics-recording-a-trace-the-ultimate-easy-way/

Im going to try this one in a few minutes.

thanks for all the help guys <3

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:27 pm

synthtel2 wrote:

As soon as the freez occurs i have to save the trace so then i can analise it ?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but what are your power settings?

In Control Panel, do Power Options.If you have Balanced, choose High Performance instead.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Yan wrote:
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but what are your power settings?

In Control Panel, do Power Options.If you have Balanced, choose High Performance instead.

I have it on high performance already. I think I've tried everything and still not a clue on what is going on with my PC :(

Yan
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 pm

I still have a few ideas. ;-)

First, follow wirerogue's advice here to check that TRIM is on.

Second, check Task Scheduler (in Control Panel, Administrative Tools) and see if the freezes happen to occur when a task is scheduled to run.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Yan wrote:

Second, check Task Scheduler (in Control Panel, Administrative Tools) and see if the freezes happen to occur when a task is scheduled to run.

Thanks for the advice, I actived TRIM and i will be checking if freezes stop ocurring, also Im going to check on Task Scheduler if a task is related with freezes.

I'll be updating the thread in the week. Thank you so much!

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:22 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:

Yup. You'll probably want to send the resulting trace to us, analyzing them is much more involved than capturing them. Watch out for this bit and don't let us see it if it would contain anything sensitive, though:

Bruce Dawson wrote:
Be aware, however, that ETW traces can contain personal information. ETW traces record information about all processes on your system. Typically this include the names of files being read and written, so an analyst may be able to tell what document you were editing, or what music you were listening to. However the traces will not include the contents of the files or the names of files that are on-disk but not referenced. The Input tracing information is very important for a successful analysis but it defaults to Private mode, where all letters are recorded as ‘A’ and all numbers are recorded as ‘1’, to avoid being a key-logger.

Do follow up with the rest of the suggestions in this thread first. ETW in this context is probably a bit heavy-handed, but if you've got no other real hints at where to look, it's an extremely reliable way to get some solid hints.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
KeepeRcsgo wrote:

Yup. You'll probably want to send the resulting trace to us, analyzing them is much more involved than capturing them. Watch out for this bit and don't let us see it if it would contain anything sensitive, though:

Bruce Dawson wrote:
Be aware, however, that ETW traces can contain personal information. ETW traces record information about all processes on your system. Typically this include the names of files being read and written, so an analyst may be able to tell what document you were editing, or what music you were listening to. However the traces will not include the contents of the files or the names of files that are on-disk but not referenced. The Input tracing information is very important for a successful analysis but it defaults to Private mode, where all letters are recorded as ‘A’ and all numbers are recorded as ‘1’, to avoid being a key-logger.

Do follow up with the rest of the suggestions in this thread first. ETW in this context is probably a bit heavy-handed, but if you've got no other real hints at where to look, it's an extremely reliable way to get some solid hints.

What can i do to avoid sensitive stuff ?

I have tried everything and nothing changed, still experimenting freezes... :c

Yan wrote:

I tried with the things you told me to and today I got another freeze while I was playing so I think your advice hasnt solved anything yet :c

Im open to more ideas </3 And of course sending the ETW trace so maybe I can get more information about the freezes ...

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:28 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:

If you're not sure based on what's already here, it's probably not worth messing with for such a small problem.

KeepeRcsgo wrote:

There's always more. ;)

My Windows install is still on a very cheesy old SSD with very inconsistent performance, and it occasionally causes similar problems (the most similar problems I've experienced). A Kingston A400 should have much better typical performance than what I'm running, but being very low-end, it wouldn't be weird if it had some big stalls under load.

* Task manager tracks drive response times a bit now, and that reading correlates well with the problems I see (but may not on other drives, and it may only look bad in particular workloads). When you put the drive under load (copying large files should do the trick for a basic one), what kind of response times do you see? Both the typical range and maximum you see out of that number could be useful.

* You could run both CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark (one link for both) and see if they turn up any odd results.

* Is the drive near full? They perform well a lot more consistently if you keep significant space free. 20% free might be a good target.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:58 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
KeepeRcsgo wrote:

If you're not sure based on what's already here, it's probably not worth messing with for such a small problem.

KeepeRcsgo wrote:

There's always more. ;)

My Windows install is still on a very cheesy old SSD with very inconsistent performance, and it occasionally causes similar problems (the most similar problems I've experienced). A Kingston A400 should have much better typical performance than what I'm running, but being very low-end, it wouldn't be weird if it had some big stalls under load.

* Task manager tracks drive response times a bit now, and that reading correlates well with the problems I see (but may not on other drives, and it may only look bad in particular workloads). When you put the drive under load (copying large files should do the trick for a basic one), what kind of response times do you see? Both the typical range and maximum you see out of that number could be useful.

* You could run both CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark (one link for both) and see if they turn up any odd results.

* Is the drive near full? They perform well a lot more consistently if you keep significant space free. 20% free might be a good target.

Hello again, im really glad you are still there :') .

When I put the drive under load I see response times varying from 200 to 500~ but i saw some high spikes of 1200 or 1000.
At normal use, I can see that the response times vary from 0.5 to 2 ms with high spikes of 20 ~

Whit CristalDiskMark I got

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2018 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 468.295 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 112.716 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 57.278 MB/s [ 13983.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 201.569 MB/s [ 49211.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 60.767 MB/s [ 14835.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 170.548 MB/s [ 41637.7 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 19.647 MB/s [ 4796.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 77.803 MB/s [ 18994.9 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 46.4% (103.7/223.6 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2019/08/22 21:48:35

And with Cristal Disk Info I got that my SSD is in good health but I actually got that my HDD is on yellow, meaning risk.

https://imgur.com/a/Lpsx6c1

And about the disk being full, it has 120gb left of 240

I really appreciate all the help Im getting, not only from you but from everyone that has answered, thank you so much! I hope I can soon get this problem solved

Yan
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Try running CHKDSK with the /R option on the D: drive:
CHKDSK D: /F /V /X /R

The speed for the C: drive is slower than I'd expect.

Can you run Crystal Disk Mark on the D: drive?

Can you download smartmontools (file smartmontools-7.0-1.win32-setup.exe), install it, and run it with
smartctl --test=long /dev/sdb
, then do
smartctl -A /dev/sdb
and show us the section at the end that starts with "START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION"? Running the test will take some time; you can use your computer while you're testing, but that will slow down the test.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 pm

Yan wrote:
Try running CHKDSK with the /R option on the D: drive:
CHKDSK D: /F /V /X /R

The speed for the C: drive is slower than I'd expect.

Can you run Crystal Disk Mark on the D: drive?

Can you download smartmontools (file smartmontools-7.0-1.win32-setup.exe), install it, and run it with
smartctl --test=long /dev/sdb
, then do
smartctl -A /dev/sdb
and show us the section at the end that starts with "START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION"? Running the test will take some time; you can use your computer while you're testing, but that will slow down the test.

I used chkdsk on D drive and it stuck on 10% for almost an hour so i decided to reboot the pc. Im testing the pc with Smartmontools right now and in 2 hours I may get the results. I'll update the thread as soon as I can. THANKS AGAIN!

himanshu5
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 am

How often you are facing this freezes?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:12 am

It's pretty clear that your D: drive is defective, and that could cause the freezes.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Yan wrote:
It's pretty clear that your D: drive is defective, and that could cause the freezes.

I got the results from the Smartmontools . https://imgur.com/CmLOQpz

I think that you are right about D being defective. Do you recommend me unplugging D and using the PC with only C and seeing if frezees still ocurr ?

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:32 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
Yan wrote:

I think that you are right about D being defective. Do you recommend me unplugging D and using the PC with only C and seeing if frezees still ocurr ?

Yeah, removing a secondary drive should be an easy test for process of elimination. As mentioned by others, the numbers on your C: drive don't look very good for an SSD either. Maybe it's time to think about replacing them.

While you're doing all this, you might double-check your BIOS settings for anything strange, and also update it to the latest version.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Quick note here, from long experience. Change only one thing at a time.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:50 pm

The Egg wrote:
KeepeRcsgo wrote:
Yan wrote:

Yeah, removing a secondary drive should be an easy test for process of elimination. As mentioned by others, the numbers on your C: drive don't look very good for an SSD either. Maybe it's time to think about replacing them.

While you're doing all this, you might double-check your BIOS settings for anything strange, and also update it to the latest version.

The ssd is actually not that old. I think It has 5 months of use so If you tell me that the numbers for the disk aren't good I can then change it using the guarantee.

As regard to the Bios, It is updated and I haven't found anything strange. In case I missed something, where specifically should I look in the bios?

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Running without D: is a solid next step. The SSD's performance looks reasonable to me, given it's a very low-end drive to start with.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Quick note here, from long experience. Change only one thing at a time.

Solid advice. Too many things at once, and it's hard to know which did the trick.

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
The ssd is actually not that old. I think It has 5 months of use so If you tell me that the numbers for the disk aren't good I can then change it using the guarantee.
As regard to the Bios, It is updated and I haven't found anything strange. In case I missed something, where specifically should I look in the bios?

If your SSD is a SATA drive, make sure it's set to AHCI rather than IDE, etc. Hard to know every setting in a given BIOS, but just give everything storage-related a once over. Stopping after each item to see if the problem remains, I would do the following:

• Disconnect the secondary drive (and leave it disconnected for now)
  • Check all BIOS settings
  • Check that the drive is running the latest firmware
  • Check that all storage-related drivers for your motherboard are installed and up to date