Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: My pc freezes randomly. / help ?

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:27 pm

The Egg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Quick note here, from long experience. Change only one thing at a time.

Solid advice. Too many things at once, and it's hard to know which did the trick.

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
The ssd is actually not that old. I think It has 5 months of use so If you tell me that the numbers for the disk aren't good I can then change it using the guarantee.
As regard to the Bios, It is updated and I haven't found anything strange. In case I missed something, where specifically should I look in the bios?

If your SSD is a SATA drive, make sure it's set to AHCI rather than IDE, etc. Hard to know every setting in a given BIOS, but just give everything storage-related a once over. Stopping after each item to see if the problem remains, I would do the following:

• Disconnect the secondary drive (and leave it disconnected for now)
  • Check all BIOS settings
  • Check that the drive is running the latest firmware
  • Check that all storage-related drivers for your motherboard are installed and up to date

I think that all storage-related drivers for the motherboard are installed, but just to make sure, in the ASUS page I found some drivers for SATA but it seems they are for RAID and a software called RaidXpert, should I give it a try and install those drivers?

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:56 pm

A RAID utility shouldn't be needed. I did notice that the latest BIOS for your board (5205) is only 2 weeks old. You have this one installed? If so, were you also having problems prior to installing it?

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:09 pm

KeepeRcsgo wrote:
I think that you are right about D being defective. Do you recommend me unplugging D and using the PC with only C and seeing if frezees still ocurr ?

Actually, the results show that your drive passed the test. If it had failed, there'd be something in the column "WHEN_FAILED". But in my experience, a drive can have problems long before it actually fails a SMART test. By the time it fails, you don't wonder whether the drive is defective, you know it is!

I agree with everybody else that the simplest thing now is to disconnect the drive and see if that helps.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:14 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
Running without D: is a solid next step. The SSD's performance looks reasonable to me, given it's a very low-end drive to start with.

Yes, any 240 GB SSD that costs CAD 44 is obviously low-end. ;-) I hadn't noticed that.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 pm

The Egg wrote:
A RAID utility shouldn't be needed. I did notice that the latest BIOS for your board (5205) is only 2 weeks old. You have this one installed? If so, were you also having problems prior to installing it?

Yep, I had the same problem even before installing the latest update (5205) for the motherboard.

Yan wrote:
KeepeRcsgo wrote:
I think that you are right about D being defective. Do you recommend me unplugging D and using the PC with only C and seeing if frezees still ocurr ?

Actually, the results show that your drive passed the test. If it had failed, there'd be something in the column "WHEN_FAILED". But in my experience, a drive can have problems long before it actually fails a SMART test. By the time it fails, you don't wonder whether the drive is defective, you know it is!

I agree with everybody else that the simplest thing now is to disconnect the drive and see if that helps.

I'm going to try it tonight and I will update the topic as soon as possible to let you know if the problem is D:

Thank you again for the help that you gave me in this past days!

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:48 am

Once again, after unplugging the disk D: I got another freeze. I dont know what else to do :(

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Post the ETW trace synthtel2 mentioned the next time your computer freezes.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:24 pm

I don´t know why but the software to record the ETW trace doesnt work. I used it before but It does not work right know, what can I do about It ?

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Somehow I got UI for ETW working again, as soon as I experience freezes I will record a trace and upload It so then you can analize It.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:27 pm

In event Viewer im getting a lot of this events.

La configuración de permisos específico de la aplicación no concede el permiso Activación Local para la aplicación de servidor COM con CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
y APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
al usuario DESKTOP-88LDMVM\KeepeRCS con SID (S-1-5-21-1682620033-3373719494-3804075773-1001) en la dirección LocalHost (con LRPC) que se ejecuta en el contenedor de aplicaciones con SID No disponible (No disponible). Este permiso de seguridad se puede modificar mediante la herramienta administrativa Servicios de componentes.

And also a lot of warnings:

El certificado para Sistema local con huella digital 79 c2 71 f1 6e a0 91 1a b1 eb a7 31 bf 31 está a punto de expirar o ya expiró.

Sorry It is in spanish

Yan
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm

Does this help? https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... mgrgeneral

I don't think this has anything to do with your freezes, however.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Update: I changed the RAM stick from slot 1 to slot 2 just because. After that the Next freeze I experienced Was a complete hung, had to restart the pc because it won't respond.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Run mdsched.exe to run Microsoft's memory diagnostics.

Try just one stick of RAM, then the other.

Run Memtest86+.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Yan wrote:
Run mdsched.exe to run Microsoft's memory diagnostics.

Try just one stick of RAM, then the other.

Run Memtest86+.

I have done It but I can not upload the results right now, I can tell you that I had only 1 error in the four tests, but maybe It is enough to make crashes happen, I'll upload It as soon as I arrive home.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:20 pm

There's no "only" one --- one error is one too many. RAM tests should be squeaky clean, and there's an excellent chance flaky RAM is the root cause of all of this then (and probably more glitchiness).

It sounds like you've only got one stick of RAM? That makes debugging this significantly harder. (For future reference, you're also leaving a lot of performance on the table if you don't use at least two sticks.) The bad hardware could theoretically be any of the CPU, mobo, or RAM itself (though RAM is the most likely). Did you run the memory testing with the stick in the original or switched slot? If it was switched, rerunning it in the original slot would be good.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Yup, what he said. You should not be seeing ANY errors when you run a memory diagnostic. Until you can consistently pass memory diagnostics with NO errors, you will continue to have system stability issues.

My standard burn-in test for new builds is an overnight (minimum!) run of Memtest86/Memtest86+. If any errors are reported, this is an indication that there's a problem with the memory subsystem which needs to be addressed before I even attempt to install an OS. Installing an OS with flaky RAM can even result in a corrupted OS, so as far as I am concerned memory errors are a "full stop" condition.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm

MOSFET wrote:
You may get a clue as to whether you're having disk or memory errors, among other things. You may also want to run chkdsk from command line and initiate Memtest from within Windows.

Yeah, I'll just go on back to an earlier suggestion - it's that kind of day! Gee, who would've thunk it would come down to disk and/or memory errors :)

FYI, with CrystalDiskInfo, go to Function > Advanced Feature > Raw Values > 10 DEC and you will get much more meaningful numbers.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Once again, I'm here. My pc got frezeed a few days ago and It won't start again. I can hear some weird noise but all the fans are working well so I can't tell where the noise is coming from.

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:58 pm

If I had to describe it, it was like I was playing and suddenly, the screen turned off and show the sign of "HDMI" showing the input like it was disconnected. After that I turned it off and tried to turn it on, It did like a try and then It died.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 pm

We all agreed that your RAM is defective. Did you replace it?

You probably also have other problems, but if you didn't replace your RAM, then do that before we go to other things.

At this point, you might want to simply replace the computer. How old is it?

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Didnt replaced IT yeti, gonna buy one stick as soon as possible and try how it goes

KeepeRcsgo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:31 am

Hello again, I recently bought another ram stick so I replaced the other one. I've been playing on my pc for 3 hours more or less but still got 2 freezes in that period of time.

If I try mi pc with the old ram stick it won't start and with the new one I still have freezes.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 pm

So obviously replacing the RAM helped, but wasn't enough to solve the problem.

Did you check the new RAM by running Memtest86 or Memtest86+ overnight? If it fails, try putting the RAM in a different slot.

As I mentioned, you might want to consider whether it's worth replacing your computer piece by piece, or whether it would be better to simply buy a new one.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 am

When you replaced the RAM, did you reset your RAM timings to defaults?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

That's mostly still a fine computer, and there's no reason to scrap the whole thing. Likely stuff at this point includes:

* As JBI said, the timings might be set wrong.

* The CPU or mobo might be broken.

* (Most likely IMO) the hangs aren't the RAM's fault directly, but the sketchy RAM broke something in software which is now causing the hangs. Reinstalling Windows will fix anything like that, and it may be near-impossible to fix otherwise.

If you've been running that Windows install a long time on sketchy RAM, there's almost certainly a lot of accumulated glitchiness along those lines even if the immediate problem doesn't fall in that category, and you couldn't go wrong by reinstalling Windows now.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 pm

synthtel2 is right on, as is JBI (and others). Might as well start at the VERY beginning. Reseat DIMMs and PCIe cards, and check all power connections to mobo, GPU, drives, everything. One cat hair in your PCIe or DIMM slot will cause major issues. Then reset BIOS to optimized defaults, and adjust from there. Then refresh Windows in some way suitable to you. I would just format and reinstall my boot drive.

and FFS, run memtest and chkdsk to some meaningful extent.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.