Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

5 PC license pack of O&O Power Pack for only $24.99

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:01 am

Apply the discount code ENDOFLIFEWIN7 and save $$ on a five PC license pack of O&O Power Pack:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oopowerpack

Really cheap so get it before the deal expires.

Backup your PC with O&O DiskImage 15
O&O DiskImage lets you backup an entire computer and everything on it whenever you want – even while the computer’s being used. In the event data loss should ever occur, your data can be quickly restored with just a few mouse clicks – even when Windows is no longer able to start.

Up to 100% more speed with O&O Defrag 23
A professional defragmentation with O&O Defrag Pro gives old and new PCs fresh legs – and for the long-term!
If you spend a lot of time on your PC, slow system and program starts or system crashes while playing can be very frustrating. Periodic defragmentation often works wonders in bringing new life to a PC.

Delete redundant data safely with O&O SafeErase 14
Delete old files, temporary files and internet files to take the load off your PC. The new O&O SafeErase Pro deletes these files forever – data spies have no chance!
All files, settings, applications and operating system are deleted so that a recovery is impossible.

Save your valuable data with O&O AutoBackup 6
The new O&O AutoBackup 6 automatically backs up and synchronizes selected files and folders with an external backup device so that in the event of a data loss it can be accessed again immediately.

Code also works for O&O FileBackup.

O&O's free software:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
https://www.oo-software.com/en/filedirect
https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster
https://www.syspectr.com/en/
https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooregeditor

Dposcorp

Re: 5 PC license pack of O&O Power Pack for only $24.99

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:38 am

Never heard of this before and few reviews came up after a quick search.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Gonna do some more research

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:54 am

Dposcorp wrote:
Never heard of this before and few reviews came up after a quick search.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Gonna do some more research

O&O has some mind share for me due to their their ShutUp10 product for Windows 10, but that's about it. (Haven't yet tried it myself though, since I likely won't bother to mess with consumer Win10 until a new computer build.)

Yan
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:15 pm

Dposcorp wrote:

"Up to 100% more speed with O&O Defrag" sounds like a lot of baloney.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 am

Yeah, you might get 100% speedup after a defrag if you A) have a mechanical HDD; and B) upgraded the OS on an existing system drive while the drive was badly fragmented. It's basically a corner case for a badly fragmented OS install.

And fragmentation doesn't cause system crashes, so that part is pure BS.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 am

just brew it! wrote:

Probably not anymore, but it could indeed happen in Win9x. Don't ask me how.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:34 am

bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There was some system code that depended on a critical file being in contiguous blocks otherwise it would result in an exception?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:41 am

There's a corner case you can hit if you use NTFS file compression AND have individual files which are very large (10s of GB). This is not something users would typically hit in practice though.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There was some system code that depended on a critical file being in contiguous blocks otherwise it would result in an exception?
This was once used as a primitive form of file copy protection. If you tried to copy off the files you had a copy but it would not execute because the executable was hard coded to look for different parts of the file at a fixed location on the disk. I'm not sure if they used a fancy writing to put the sectors where they wanted them or if they simply noted on installation what the actual cylinders and sectors were for certain files and then encrypted it into the executable. Either way, copies would not work unless you had a perfect sector by sector copy.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, you might get 100% speedup after a defrag if you A) have a mechanical HDD

100% and more with a SSD is probably possible ... as well as 10,000% with a HDD. You'd need a SSD with a high sequential read speed but a relatively low IOPS, and have O&O Disk Fragmenter run on it for 24 hours before any benchmarking.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 am

Wirko wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, you might get 100% speedup after a defrag if you A) have a mechanical HDD

100% and more with a SSD is probably possible ... as well as 10,000% with a HDD. You'd need a SSD with a high sequential read speed but a relatively low IOPS, and have O&O Disk Fragmenter run on it for 24 hours before any benchmarking.

Possible... but I'd say still unlikely. It's a corner case.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am

Mr Bill wrote:
Igor_Kavinski wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

This was once used as a primitive form of file copy protection. If you tried to copy off the files you had a copy but it would not execute because the executable was hard coded to look for different parts of the file at a fixed location on the disk. I'm not sure if they used a fancy writing to put the sectors where they wanted them or if they simply noted on installation what the actual cylinders and sectors were for certain files and then encrypted it into the executable. Either way, copies would not work unless you had a perfect sector by sector copy.

I think this was more of an install floppy disk thing. It'd be too easy to break such a thing on a hard drive.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 am

bthylafh wrote:
I think this was more of an install floppy disk thing. It'd be too easy to break such a thing on a hard drive.

One defrag and you're toast!

Until just a few years ago, the GRUB bootloader for Linux would do something like this on certain systems, where it would record absolute LBAs of the next stage of the bootloader and use that during the system boot process to load the next piece of itself. Resulted in random breakage if you copied a boot partition without doing a sector-for-sector clone.