Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

How do you rip a DVD for Plex that has a disk error

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Question for all of you, I have a few DVDs that seem to have errors and I am not able to rip all of the shows. I am using MakeMKV and HandBrake now and I have also tried DVD Decrypter with no success. I’m positive it is an error in disk stamping as they are band new and there are no marks. I am thinking if the disk will play in a DVD player I could get around this issue by recording the dvd player output. The shows are old 480i and I’m not too concerned about data loss, assuming the video looks ok when watched off of the DVD on a TV.

Have any of you guys run into this and do you get around the problem?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: How do you rip a DVD for Plex that has a disk error

Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:53 pm

If you can rip to an ISO format without error then I'd start looking at ways to fix DVD encoding/format errors to get it working.

Recording the output stream and reencoding it will be a painful process.

VLC can technically dump DVD streams as well, but you'd lose all the metadata as well.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 pm

That's the problem some sort of error will prevent the creating of an ISO. I can try a different set of software to create the ISO just to see do you have any recommendations?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:20 pm

Which file fails to copy?

Another solution: just download the whole thing from the internet.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:46 pm

A couple of the VTS_.VOB files.

If I could find the ISO for the 3rd Disk of the 2005 season of the Red Green show or the 3 episodes that it is failing on I'd be happy to get them that way. I have another set of old British comedies that I loose 1 to 2 shows per disk as well. I guess the issue is not knowing where to look.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:32 pm

So not high-profile enough to be easy to find (in decent quality).

What does DVD Decrypter say/do (when set to ignore read errors)?

Maybe try a simple file copy ignoring bad sectors.
I'm not sure how it would work if the video is encrypted, but otherwise, maybe just a few bad spots.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 pm

For DVD Decrypter it stalls at about 57% and takes many hours to read about 30MB. The drive would error and I have to eject the disk and reinsert and it would start reading again after about 100 hrs I started looking for other options. That said I don't think I had the same settings as the thread you linked so I'll retry it and see what happens.

I haven't tried the simple file copy using a tool like that, good idea.

jmc2
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:13 am

I use the program below to recover damaged optical disks.

"CD Recovery Toolbox Free" , CDRecoveryToolboxFreeSetup.exe
http://www.oemailrecovery.com/cd_recovery.html
( it does like to talk back to it's website when you use it. I keep that VM off line)

It crawls across the disk in 2k chunks to recover whatever it can. If the bad area is small it may take minutes to recover the "bad area".
You may not notice the damage or if most of a VOB is bad it may take all night to process.

The resulting saved VOB file may be very very good or a jerky green mess depending on how badly the optical data is damaged.
But the repaired VOB will function correctly in a VIDEO_TS folder.
Last edited by jmc2 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am

Yeah if it's only a few small blocks it may just show up as a quick video glitch. If it hits a keyframe it may be a few seconds of garbled mess.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Per a recommendation over PM I'm running ISObuster and it's still running after kicking off over night and I'll see where it lands. I'm not sure how "CD Recovery Toolbox Free" compares with ISObuster but I'll check depending on how this run goes.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:11 pm

I used to use CDCheck. It's so old the Web page tells you the download time at 56kb/s. ;-)

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:25 pm

I have tried a couple more tools and I am able to get some video that was ignored before with IsoBuster and Recovery Toolbox and then using DVDVob2Mpg to create an mpg that plays.

I'm currently running IsoPuzzle, I am down to the last 9059 sectors which works out to about 18MB of data out of the ~4.4GBs. It's about 30 hours in and still finding good sectors though that has been slowing down substantially. Once it stalls out, maybe another day or so, and I try it on my other desktops DVD drive I'll try it out check and see how the video is. Assuming the 18MB of data loss is correct I think this has done the best so far but we'll see once I check out the videos themselves.

jmc2
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:03 am

tfp wrote:
I have tried a couple more tools and I am able to get some video that was ignored before with IsoBuster and Recovery Toolbox and then using DVDVob2Mpg to create an mpg that plays.
I'm currently running IsoPuzzle, I am down to the last 9059 sectors which works out to about 18MB of data out of the ~4.4GBs. It's about 30 hours in and still finding good sectors though that has been slowing down substantially. Once it stalls out, maybe another day or so, and I try it on my other desktops DVD drive I'll try it out check and see how the video is. Assuming the 18MB of data loss is correct I think this has done the best so far but we'll see once I check out the videos themselves.

Good to hear! Links to these resources would be nice.

Thanks.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 am

jmc2
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 am

tfp wrote:

Thanks so much! Hope I never need them.

Chalesboon
Gerbil

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:08 am

Yan wrote:
I used to use CDCheck. It's so old the Web page tells you the download time at 56kb/s. ;-)

CDCheck is best option which you suggested, Thanks a lot, I tried this on the same issue and it works.