Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:55 pm

It seems as though I have the entire site working now. Still doing some additions and renditions to it, but it looks promising. It seems to be I didn't upload EVERYTHING to the server.

All I need to do now is find a way to either link my FTP server program to a section of the site, Have a page with member only access, or link to a folder that is password protected. Any thoughts on any of these? Safety concerns? Ease of use for the user?

THanks! 8)
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:57 am

Yet another thread I need to get caught up on after being away for ~3 weeks... :wink:

I'm somewhat doubtful that you will be able to implement file upload capability, using your ISP-supplied hosting space.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zapgirl
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:51 am

lol...password protection ....planning on .cgi? i have a simple .cgi password protection script that i got it some tutorial site...which work pretty good ...highly recommended to u

and welcome back just brew it! nice to see u back to TR even u have been back for couple of days.... :lol:
Be Yourself & Everybody Will Adore You 8)

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:06 am

zapgirl wrote:
lol...password protection ....planning on .cgi? i have a simple .cgi password protection script that i got it some tutorial site...which work pretty good ...highly recommended to u

and welcome back just brew it! nice to see u back to TR even u have been back for couple of days.... :lol:

How did you implement it? Was it by creating a folder of some sort and putting a password on that folder? Or by Hyperlinking to something?

I can't get my FTP server working through the NO-IP service I signed up with. I have the necessary ports forwarded but still nothing so I am trying a different route with a web page access of some sort.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:13 am

Getting inbound FTP to work through a firewall can be an adventure. The problem is that it uses extra high-numbered ports, which also need to be opened. The range of ports used depends on how the FTP server is configured.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:28 am

just brew it! wrote:
Getting inbound FTP to work through a firewall can be an adventure. The problem is that it uses extra high-numbered ports, which also need to be opened. The range of ports used depends on how the FTP server is configured.

It sounds like I would have to digging around somewhere to find out which ports access what and then forward them.

I have heard that it is very unwise to forward all the ports, but what else can I do? I currently have a Linksys BEFW11S4 (I think that's the model # - it's a four port wireless router). Even if I hook up the DSL modem only, I get nothing.

I have seen websites that have membership areas. How do those work?

EDIT: all my web stuff is through Front Page 2003 at the moment.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:39 am

Here's some info on how FTP works: <a href="http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html">Active FTP vs. Passive FTP, a Definitive Explanation</a>. You'll also need to consult the documentation for whatever FTP server software you're using, for specifics regarding how to configure it. A while back I tried to get inbound FTP to work through Redhat 8's software firewall, and eventually gave up; I didn't need FTP that bad.

If you forward all of the ports, you might as well not have the firewall at all, since you are effectively bypassing it.

To set up a web site with a membership area, you need to have some sort of database on the server that lists who is allowed to log in, and stores their user preference settings (if any); and you need to track each user's session (typically using cookies). Depending on what sort of capabilities your ISP provides on your web hosting account, this may or may not be feasible. If all you are allowed to do is serve static content, then you're SOL.