*Edit Notification November 2nd*
I will be updating this first post to include a list of many of the programs that have been listed on the following pages to help all of the new members who don't have the time to read through all of these posts. I will also be editing this post to include Windows XP programs and then another list of programs that are Windows 7 compatible (or at least that are fully functional when ran in compatibility mode). If you have posted or are going to post programs and are willing to test them first as well as confirm with the developers which version of windows they are compatible with, please PM here on the forums so that I can edit the post and provide the best information to our fellow TR members. Thanks for all your efforts!
Now im sure someone is going to hollar at me saying im wrong about one of them, or that this has already been covered on another thread. Well go ahead and do it. Also make some recommendations on any other freebie programs that you know of that you think to be MUST HAVES.Adaware SE
- This program is just all around the best adaware program avalible to the market. To make things greater they made a personal use version that is free! CNET -
"With the ability to scan your RAM, registry, hard drives, and external storage devices for known data-mining, advertising, and tracking components, Ad-aware SE easily can clean your system, allowing you to maintain a higher degree of privacy while you surf the Web.
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition boasts a number of improvements. Extended memory scanning now scans all modules loaded by a process. Scanning uses the all- new CSI (Code Sequence Identification) technology to identify new and unknown variants of known targets. Extended registry scanning now scans registry branches of multiple-user accounts and performs additional smart checks to detect dynamically created references. Scanning speed is noticeably faster, and this version offers an Extended Scanning mode for known and unknown/possible browser hijackers."Ace Utilities
- This program does quite a few of the standard features you would find on your windows system rolled into one! Cleans Junk Files, Clean System Registry, Erase Your history, Fix Invalid Shortcuts, Edit Startup Menu, Find Duplicate Files, Add/Remove Porgrams, Find Empty Folders, Disk Analysis, Scheduled System Maintenance. And a new feature that allows you to TRUELY wipe information off your computers Hard Drive by writting all zeros to the area. Doesnt cost alot but is well worth the little bit of cash.Spyware Blaster
- This is a program that you cant afford not to have on your computer. This one strikes another point for GNU, Totally free! It uses an extremely basic interface to do a very important job. There are known sites that host files to place adware on your computer. What would you do to avoid these sites? How would you be able to possibly block all of them by manually blocking each one? Well you dont have to. Spyware Blaster can be set to auto update if you want or you auto update to receive a reffrence files that once downloaded adds more of these known sites. It then shows you how many of these sites are not blocked by you for your Internet Explorer, and Mozilla FireFox at the same time. And to make it all of the better it is a passive program. So no running it while you surf. Just update from time to time, enable protection against those sites and time to rock n roll!MRU Blaster
- From the Makers of Spyware Blaster. This very small little program takes but litterally 2 seconds to run! MRU stands for Most Recently Used. If you share your PC with others and dont want them to see what you have visited or used then you need MRU Blaster. It erases things that erasing your history cant get! A basic Form of MRU deletion is included in Adaware SE but it doesnt nearly touch what this program is capable of.Disk Keeper
- Something I have used for about 2 years. One of my prized programs. By the name you could have probably guess it was some sort of disk managment program. It replaces to defualt windows defrager and adds quite a few features that the windows defrager cant touch. It works very quickly, has analyize disk to see how fragment the selected drive is. Has a Set it and Forget it setting where you can set the programs priorty setting and for it to run at set intervals or days of the week, or just when your computer goes to screen saver. It also has a boot time defrager to keep you Master File Tables in order and files that cant be touched during windows running.Gibson Research
offers all sorts of little gadgets to maintain and test your computer, and turn off dangerous secruity holes in the various windows operation systems. If you are running a server or want to test a new firewall they have programs that can test your server/firewall's security so as to make you aware of security holes that need to be fixed. And to make the numerous programs even great they are FREE and almost all are 200-300 KBs in size and require no installation. Just run the little exes and your off
Now that its over, its time for me to hear comments and suggestions. And dont forget to try out these awsome programs to get your pc run in tip top shape.
EDIT: Since every forum needs at least one sticky thread, i'll sticky this one for a while, and thanks to Ragnar Dan, this one also references the other one.