Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Illissius
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:51 pm

Welch wrote:
APWNH.... Are you 13? Well I guess I'll have to give you some credit for not saying "PwNd"

Great job at finding a post made quite a few months ago ;) Get a life, and a new set of insults too because your heavy competition for those poor AOLers :o

It's short for A Person Who Needs Help which was his original sn on the forums, I assume he abbreviated it because it was, err, too long.
Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively.
last.fm profile

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:58 pm

Illissius wrote:
amaroK
Kaffeine
Krusader
Kate
Gwenview
K3b
Kopete

First one to guess what they do without clicking on the links wins a prize ;)

Kate is a text editor, K3b is a CD burning app, and Kopete is an IM client (a very buggy one, I might add).

Kaffeine... isn't that a music player?

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:01 pm

****!!

I forgot that I was looking at a thread that I found using Search....

sorry. :oops:

edit: although, it was only 20-something days old...

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:45 pm

Ahaha, no problem. I just hate to see someone act like they are the cats meow on such an old topic. Its gotta be more than 20 days old though, I hadnt typed on this topic until today since much before I went on vacation, which was 2 months ago. 20 days since the last guy had posted perhaps.

Looking on the bright side, It brought this old thead back to life with more programs listed by other users :D

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:16 pm

Heh, yeah I was bored and looking around for screensavers, and came upon this thread. I couldn't resist posting something when I saw Kevin's post. :lol:

I despise thread resurrections as well...

Nullvoid
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:33 pm

noone's given it a mention so here goes:

foobar2000

It's an outstanding proggy for playing mp3's among other things. No nonsense, does what it says on the tin kind of simplicity. I like.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:36 pm

Nullvoid wrote:

foobar2000

It's an outstanding proggy for playing mp3's among other things. No nonsense, does what it says on the tin kind of simplicity. I like.

Oh yeah. Foobar is great.

I'd be using it if i didn't have a piece of **** sound chip. :evil:

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:56 pm

Debian - helps avoid all sorts of problems that other people have with computers. Get everything you need from one installer.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

Illissius
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:05 am

bhtooefr wrote:
Illissius wrote:
amaroK
Kaffeine
Krusader
Kate
Gwenview
K3b
Kopete

First one to guess what they do without clicking on the links wins a prize ;)

Kate is a text editor, K3b is a CD burning app, and Kopete is an IM client (a very buggy one, I might add).

Kaffeine... isn't that a music player?

Ding! Kaffeine is more of a video player actually, but can play audio as well. (And Kopete, well, it *was* rather buggy (couldn't manage to hold a connection for more than an hour or so, *and* lacked autoreconnect), but it seems to have solidified lately. (either they added autoreconnect transparently, or it just doesn't disconnect any more)
I've arranged with the forums software to have you sent a cookie.
Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively.

last.fm profile

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:20 am

I started using fulDC and oDC at a local LAN party. It was our means of sharing big game patches and all of that stuff. They are hub based file sharing applications. I have yet to get a virus or spyware from it as well. The worst thing to happen is you run into people with fake share (No, not you download it and its not what you thought it was) I mean as in their share is faked so that you cant download from them, and they can sap from everyone else. These programs usually turns away the little kiddies as it requires you to port forward, put your IP in settings and all of that in order to download. It does have auto reconnect if you get into a hub with that user again. OR you can allow it to find a user using the files exact THH (Its Hash Name). You can pick through users share, or a global search over all of the multiple hubs you are in at the same time. Some hubs have over 7000 people, get in a few of those and you have over 20k user's data at your finger tips :)

If you arent up for some Port Forwarding and network setups, then dont bother with these programs. Afterall, we only want the experinced in this programs community ;) Do a google search for these following programs (Diffrent GUI's)

oDC 5.31
fulDC
DC++

Note that they all have DC which stands for Direct Connect. There are over 30 diffrent interfaces. oDC 5.31 was the last one that group made until they moved onto fulDC which supports file Hashing and some more nitty gritty features. oDC is about as basic as it gets. and DC++ is a very popular version as well, most other clients use the same core program as DC++ and just skinned diffrently. All of these are Unix based and open source, so enjoy :D

ONE more thing.. If you are intrested in starting your own hub, then check out the freebie, Yoshi Hub, which is also Open Source
http://www.dcdev.net/YnHub/

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:46 am

I wanted to listen to mp3's while I play DOOM 3 and needed a low resource mp3 player and found Billy by Sheepfriends.

Description
Billy is a lightweighted no nonsense audio player that allows you to quickly play an entire directory of MP3 files.

http://www.sheepfriends.com/?page=billy

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:54 pm

I just downloaded Billy. Aside from its exetremely plain and lame name, it is a considerably neat little program, and for those of us who are KB pushers, a must have. Their website had higher numbers on billy but I got the same for winamp and lower for billy, so all the better :)

The Winamp using double digits in MB was when Winamp was maximized. This of course is going to require the system to draw it onto the screen and use up more memory. When minimized winamp used a little over 5mb of memory, when maximized it used anywhere from 10mb to 13mb.

Billy when minimized uses just short of 3mb. When maximized billy only used just short of 5mb and just barrely peaking over it at times.

In other words you are going to save yourself when minimized 1-2mb of memory (considerable little amount of ram) And most people arent going to have it maximized but if that is the case then you are looking at saving yourself 5-7mb of ram (very nice savings)

These are compared to winamp 5.094, and if you want a comparison to windows media player then you are even dumber than any of us could have imagined :P

When testing I played the same exact song (192kbps) at the exact same time between both programs.

I commend you on a great find, im going to put this to use :D! (Cant seem to find a volume controller though :-?) I also like their converter, that will come in handy when im dealing with all of my European friends :P

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:47 am

Just left click and hold on the % number and move the mouse up and down.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:28 am

LOL. Before you got to post it I figured it out. You have to do it at a werid angle. Thats the only feature they need to work on, otherwise the program is a No Non-BS MP3 player :) It does save a nice amount of ram for those of you trying to conserve all you can. Espcially if you want to run games and music in the background. In that case this program is essitenial!!!

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:17 am

Another program I've been using lately is allway sync. It synchronizes folders and files in between computers and other storage devices. I have a 300gig maxtor (pri) and an 80gig WD (sec) I keep two folders, my documents and a folder named download on both harddrives, allway sync keeps them syncronized. It's free.

http://allwaysync.com/

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:34 pm

I have not tried this, but it looks like a good set of programs for viewing video files (DVD, DIVX, XVID, MPEG, WMV...)

They are found at cliprex.com:
Cliprex DVD Player Professional - Free DVD player software
Cliprex DS DVD Player, free dvd video software player
Cliprex Cdivx Player, free divx video player software
Cliprex Lite Video Player, free video player software

Has anyone tried these? They look nice.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:08 am

Never heard of them.. Most people use Media Player Classic with a good set of codecs like Ace Mega Codecs Pack.. Or they use VLC player also.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:37 am

Nullvoid wrote:

foobar2000

I tried that program cause of this thread and hated it. It had me wishing for bloat.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:39 am

Well by looking at the version number (0.8.3) Id suspect that its a beta... I found the post made by the person above recommending Sheep Friends player "Billy" to be a damn good product. Simple, to the point, does its job at lower than they actually tested it on their system again winamp (lower in resources that is)...

You dont even have to install it, can be simply extracted to a folder if you wanted it to. Sound quality was awsome as well. When I really want to skimp I use it in place of winamp. My only grip is their werid volume control thing. other than that its got all of the basic musts, playlist (the whole thing is a playlist lol) Shuffle, Repeat... If you need a good little music player, give it a shot.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:38 pm

cd burner xp pro works pretty good and it's freeware.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:27 am

Billy beats Foobar2000

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:47 am

Couldnt agree more :)

Klyith
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:28 pm

Billy may have lower memory requirements... But what can it do besides play mp3? Foobar is not really supposed to be a ultra-minimalistic player anymore.

What Foobar set as its main design goal is flexibility. There are a lot of plugins for foobar, and they can do a lot more extensive changes to how the program works than plugins for most programs. There is more flexibility in it than winamp or even firefox.

My current foobar setup uses 13mb of memory, which is as much as winamp5. But if I use the the database, the ColumnsUI extension, album list panel, and skinned buttons, it both looks good and serves as a total music library program. Plus I can play pretty much any audio format known to man. If you look at the Foobar Gallery thread on HA.org, you'll see the kind of things that Foobar can do.

Of course, the price for having huge configurability is having to configure it.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 pm

Gee golly Klyith, I didn't realize. I retract my earilier statments denouncing foobar.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:22 am

I dont really have a need for foobar to be honest... Billy does the MP3 WMA playback, if i have any other formats than that I will covert them to one of the two (MP3 of course)

Billy seems to me to be the ultimate Minimalizists Music Player. Plays, and does it with half of the resouces of winamp, half of the featurs, but the half that is left is all that you will really use anyhow ;) Not trying to go down on winamp, but they really need to work on their system resource usage to make themselves competetive again.

Klyith

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:09 pm

Welch wrote:
I dont really have a need for foobar to be honest... Billy does the MP3 WMA playback, if i have any other formats than that I will covert them to one of the two (MP3 of course)
That's called transcoding, and it's a bad thing.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:01 pm

I just stumbled across Coolplayer and I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but it looks promising.

l33t-g4m3r

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:40 pm

foobar is definately better than any other mp3 player quality-wise.
low-bitrate mp3s (and regular mp3s) sound much better with foobar than any other player due to features like:
resampling
dithering
24 bit output support
and stereo to 4 channels

is there even ONE other mp3 player that can do all this?

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:24 am

Intrestingm didnt know about transcoding... thanks Klyith. Although im not sure it will make it to where I wont want to do it anyhow. I have done it in the past and im one for quality. I never notice anything worth talking about quality wise from a convert. Just one of those things I guess.

rollingbones
Gerbil

My Must Have Programs

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:31 am

You can get these FREE! think about it.....,but I will buy AVG PLUS

Firefox+extensions+adaware+noscript=****

End it all-This is a must when you want to shut down all your programs in 1 click.Very handy when installing software.

Absolute Security Pro-This is the only,and last encription program you'll ever need.A ton of cool features.

WinXfiles-Lock up those image files while your at it!

foxit reader-This is a nice piece of software to open pdf files quickly.

Billy-great music player.Uses very little resources.

Microangelo-Change the look of windows completely.I love the ability to change any Icon,which is just one of the great features.

Avg Plus-Anti-virus & firewall in one program.Avg has great resources,and forums to answer all your questions quickly.Easy to set up and configure. Uses little resources.I will NEVER put anything NORTON on my pc again.

Must have utilities!!I use all 3 of these in combination.They all compliment each other.My pc runs smooth using these programs.

1.RegSupremePro / jv 16 power tools is a nice program too.Both are made by same company.

2.Tune-up Utilities 2004-5 stars in my book

3.CCleaner-another 5 star program

Icon Saver-puts all your icons back to the same spot.

Adaware se,spyblaster,and spybot seem to knock out most spyware problems,but If you just use Firefox with the right extensions,you will avoid 95% of your problems to start.Why fix problems after the fact!SpyBlaster will pick up the extra 5%.I only use IE for updating windows period........