Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Id3 tag reapair software

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:30 am

I'm in the midst of cleaning up and organizing my mp3 files and I notice that a lot of the id tags are incorrect or just a jumble of incoherant letters and numbers.

Could anyone suggest a program that can allow me to fix these tags and is free. I Tried a few trial versions of some programs, but they put their program name at the end of the tag. (yeah like that's gonna make me buy the product :roll: )

For example I have a tag that looks like this now:

Georgee Thoroughood - I Drink Alonee<mp3id3> :roll:

I would prefer one that allows me to make then changes myself and not one that does it automatically.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

pmeysemb
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:52 am

The best I have found is MP3/Tag Studio 3.05 by Magnus Brading. I have used it to fix up and archive over 12,000 tracks now (been collecting for quite a few years now) :o It is fully functional shareware with a small reminder window that starts with the program. The batch tools it has are really nice.

good luck

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 am

You can actually do it right through WinXP. Select the files you want to change, right click on properties, select the summary tab, then click advanced. You can select multiple files for changing the artist and album tags then select the individual files for song name.

I've actually been using musicmatch for ages now for editing tags. I actually payed for it a long time ago, the support has gotten worse and the software more buggy as time goes on so it seems that it was a mistake. The nice things about it for the tags is it gets the info right automatically about 70% of the time.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:23 pm

Thanx guys.

I didn't know I could do it right thru XP......thanx for the tip redeye.

I did download that mp3 tag/studio, and it seems to be easy enough to use, and quite full of resources.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

anand
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:54 pm

I'm a fan of mp3tag for mass editing tags:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Foobar2000 also has pretty decent tag editing capabilities but it's a little clumsy compared to dedicated tools.