Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

PDFs? No more awkward shell/browser integration

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:21 pm

Foxit Reader
Foxit Reader is a free reader for PDF (Portable Document Format) documents. You can view and print PDF documents with it.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:46 pm

How does this do anything to end awkward shell/browser integration? Why would someone too lazy to click on a checkbox instead download and install an entirely new program?

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:25 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Why would someone too lazy to click on a checkbox instead download and install an entirely new program?

Quite often that checkbox doesn't work. It's nice that it's there, but it would be even nicer if it worked consistently.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:50 pm

I have been using Foxit Reader for some time as my pdf reader, I'd give it the thumbs up. It's small and doesnt have a lot of bloat, no probs.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Wait, what's the problem with reading PDFs through your browser again?
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

mdfrncs
Gerbil

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:07 pm

I hate reading them through the webrowser - especially in a website with frames. Small viewing area and slow - I'd rather open then in a standalone application.

Which is why I like Opera - click on a pdf, click open, and there it is.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Problems? less screen real-estate, and more memory consumption. Can lead to stall the process and then you lose all you were viewing (either tabs or other browser windows). To summarize: crap.

I use FoxIt in the windows machine at the office. Good stuff.
no sig

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:27 pm

SNM wrote:
When you view them in a browser, Acrobat downloads the PDF one page at a time, so everytime you scroll down to the next page, everything freezes while Acrobat goes out to the net and downloads the next page. Repeat this for a few pages, and it'll drive ya nuts. By disabling browser integration (or using an alternate reader) it'll download the whole thing to your HD - which you can then view with no annoying pauses, or at a later time.

fc34
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:29 pm

SNM wrote:

The main problem is that the file is downloaded to a temporary location, and IE doesnt remember to clean it up after it's downloaded, resulting in lots of clutter in the Temporary Internet Files. Not to mention that it's slow as heck, and frequently causes IE to hang.

Another thumbs UP for Foxit, I use it and recommend that anyone who currently has adobe replace it. It even automatically checks to see if it's the default PDF reader.
Windows XP - The 64-bit wannabe with a 32-bit graphics interface for 16-bit extensions to a 8-bit patch on a 4-bit operating system designed to run on a 2-bit processor by a company that can't stand 1-bit of competition

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Hmm, the PDF Download extension for FireFox makes it easy for me to choose what to do with a PDF. Small ones I let load in the browser, big ones get downloaded and viewed with a standalone instance of Acrobat Reader.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

muyuubyou
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: London, UK or Tokyo/Yokohama, Japan or Madrid, Spain

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:22 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Hmm, the PDF Download extension for FireFox makes it easy for me to choose what to do with a PDF. Small ones I let load in the browser, big ones get downloaded and viewed with a standalone instance of Acrobat Reader.

That also works, assuming you use Firefox and Acrobat Reader. I prefex FoxIt, though it can be argued more pages are tested against Acrobat. Interestingly, some older pages won't render properly in Acrobat, yet they will in FoxIt. Good download either way, since it's pretty light.
no sig

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:37 am

I just use it on my USB drive since there is no installation required. I don't have a problem using acrobat on my own machine even though it can be annoying sometimes.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:42 am

I find Acrobat's browser integration to be incredibly annoying. It's actually gotten a little better with Acrobat 7 (6 was a total abortion), but I still prefer to disable the browser integration, which forces PDFs to open in a separate Acrobat window.

Maybe I'll check out this FoxIt thing...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
I find Acrobat's browser integration to be incredibly annoying.

The thing that gets me about Acrobat Reader is that it's almost as if Adobe is trying to make it slower and more annoying with each new version.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:45 am

bitvector wrote:
The thing that gets me about Acrobat Reader is that it's almost as if Adobe is trying to make it slower and more annoying with each new version.

It seemed like the last version was actually a slight improvement to me.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:22 am

just brew it! wrote:
bitvector wrote:

Version 5.0 had significant bugs, but 5.1 was ok. Version 6 was an abomination. In version 7 there were significant improvements made, especially with the startup time. Make sure you have at least 7.0.3 if you're using Firefox and want to be able to disable browser integration.

I make it a policy now to wait until a few patches have come out before using any new version of Acrobat.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:51 am

Don't for get a nice little program called AR-Speedup.

If you HAVE to use adobe ready because you need a particular plugin you can disable all the other plugins and still get a small/fast adobe reader.
Aran
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

2nded.

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:10 pm

DaveG wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
bitvector wrote:

Version 5.0 had significant bugs, but 5.1 was ok. Version 6 was an abomination. In version 7 there were significant improvements made, especially with the startup time. Make sure you have at least 7.0.3 if you're using FireFox and want to be able to disable browser integration.

I make it a policy now to wait until a few patches have come out before using any new version of Acrobat.

Ya know I've had so much hell with Adobe Reader over the past year at home, at work and on multiple machines. Completely locking up my browser in both IE and FireFox. There is a small utility that I haven't tried called adobe speedup that does some sort of tweak. I do use an extension in FireFox called pdf down loader that doesn't work quite right. What's up with those adobe people lately? Outsourcing programmers to Bangladesh.

Hari Seldon
Gerbil

Re: PDFs? No more awkward shell/browser integration

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:01 pm

VTNC wrote:
Foxit Reader
Foxit Reader is a free reader for PDF (Portable Document Format) documents. You can view and print PDF documents with it.

PDFCreator is a free PDF Creating app.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:55 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:
PDFCreator is a free PDF Creating app.

This thread was about free PDF readers.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God