Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Best HTML editor to build web forms?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:58 am

What is the best HTML editor to build web application? What I mean is HTML editor that comes with a (relatively) comprehensive set of Form Object templates like radio button, HTML table (editable, like Excel), drop-down icon, etc, etc.

I've tried M$ FrontPage, but it doesn't satisfy me so far. I already have Windows version of Open Office (without JRE), but it doesn't come with a dedicated HTML editor (and building HTML page with OpenOffice Writer is quite a nightmare --it's a word processor anyway).

A friend of mine suggested Web Serif, but google search (whether using the keywords 'WebSerif' or 'Web Serif') has been fruitless so far. The best result I could get are this and this. Thus, I wonder whether the software called 'WebSerif' (or 'Web Serif') really exists; is there really such animal? :???:

How about Mozilla Composer? Is that good enough to design Web Form?

Or maybe I should use PHP IDE like Eclipse?

Any suggestion?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:03 am

Notepad.

Best control, ease of use, cleanest (doesn't mess with your code) and you can validate your form to your hearts content.

For quickies though, I use Dreamweaver and write my own validation, because frankly DW's validation sucks, and it's bloated.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:12 am

pete_roth wrote:
For quickies though, I use Dreamweaver and write my own validation, because frankly DW's validation sucks, and it's bloated.

Thanks. Actually, it's gonna be quicky. By the way, does Dreamweaver come a comprehensive set of form objects?

On the other hand, what if I use a dedicated HTML Form Builder like PageBreeze? Has anyone ever tried it before? It seems to have a complete sets of Web Object, but what if I also want to insert picture, change the colors, make some fancy form title (well not that fancy, but the ability to use True Type Fonts is welcome), etc?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

Thanks. Actually, it's gonna be quicky. By the way, does Dreamweaver come a comprehensive set of form objects?

On the other hand, what if I use a dedicated HTML Form Builder like PageBreeze? Has anyone ever tried it before? It seems to have a complete sets of Web Object, but what if I also want to insert picture, change the colors, make some fancy form title (well not that fancy, but the ability to use True Type Fonts is welcome), etc?
HTML is HTML. You can always make it do what you want later, as longas your app isn't worthles at generating code.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:23 am

I like Bluefish and/or Quanta. They're Linux apps and I don't know if there are Windows ports for them.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:27 am

I've been using dreamweaver for years and it does have a decent set of form building controls, but you can, as Matt said, edit it later to add what you need supposing DW doesn't have it.

I would really try to break your dependence on ANY app that does all the heavy lifting for you and learn HTML first, then use dreamweaver for those quick jobs.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:31 am

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
(well not that fancy, but the ability to use True Type Fonts is welcome), etc?

Using a font in your web page that is non-standard will require the user to download and install it somehow. This is not ideal. Learning CSS would bea good alternative for using fonts and styles that not all users (or at least your target audience) have access too.

In other words, say you use "dripping blood font 2.0" on your Halloween web page. Unless it's an image, everyone will see it as their default font or the css style sheet they have created for themselves.

http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/css_no15.htm

^^ That will show you how to use CSS to embed the font so it downloads with your html page. However, depending on the font it may annoy some people. I generally shy away from things like this.

bryanl
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:58 am

It appears that there are unstated conditions.

But you mught take a look at NVU

Open office does a credible job as an HTML page editor. It uses inline CSS and standard HTML styles and does allow direct coding for forms and such things. Use file->new and specify new HTML Document for a completely blank page.

But your big problem is going to figure out those 'ustated conditions' that have made your review of common options come up unsatisfactory.

Do keep in mind that there is no magic bullet, that a CMS or similar app may be more in line with what you need. On the other hand, cream or any other stright text editor with HTML recognition capability might be what you need. Can't tell from here.
Bryan

VaTech Hokie
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Another thumbs up for DreamweaverMX.
Always Proud to be Hokie

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:30 pm

Notepad on PC, bbedit on mac.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:46 pm

I kinda started to enjoy Visual Studio Web Developer express. It's free and does some error checking for you. Still I wouldn't recommend using it's UI and rely on intellisense. Other than that, it's nice completing, editor for those who know what they WANT to write.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Best HTML editor to build web forms?

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Arrrrgggg Thread Resurrection!

I'm responding here because this seems to be the only thread in the forum that comes up when I search for HTML editor or web editor. After looking over some of these old suggestions, I decided to try BlueGriffon to write myself a website for my lab business.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:47 pm

My Domain host says they will run wordpress for free. Any favorite malware free web locations for finding wordpress templates?
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 pm

I got a Joomla template from RocketTheme when making a site for a relative not too long ago; they have WP stuff too. It costs money, but it's supported and avoids the freeware/malware trap you alluded to. Their stuff loads slow on a weak connection, but that seems to be par for the course these days--thus be the price of fancy responsive layouts that play nice with everyone's little gadgets.