Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

daveagn
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Nero Problem

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:16 am

I'm working on a friend's computer that is experiencing slow burns with Nero. The specs are:

WinXP Media Center
P5B-E Motherboard
Two LG SATA DVD burners

The first thing I noticed was two copies of Nero were installed. I managed to get them both uninstalled, ran an uninstaller program that Nero provides, and then reinstalled Nero 7. Now Nero sees one burner as a CD drive and seems to lock the other one at 1x read/write. To top it off, it has a DMA manager and won't let me turn DMA on, even though I've gone into the BIOS and turned it on. I've about had it with this piece of crap, but my friend seems pretty intent on keeping it. Anybody have any thoughts?

dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 am

Have you got the motherboard drivers installed?

Is windows accessing any / all drives under PIO mode?
SZ87R6/i5 4560 stock/24GB 2333mhz/840 Evo 250GB/Seagate 2TB/ASUS 760GTX/Dell 2711
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.

daveagn
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:59 am

Yes, I believe so. Apparently, before the second copy of Nero was installed it worked fine.

Taddeusz
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 am

Go to the Device Manager and remove the IDE channel that the offending drive is on. Reboot the computer and Windows should redetect the drive with the correct DMA setting.

Windows XP has a problem where if it starts detecting read errors on a drive it will decrease the DMA level until it gets to PIO mode. But then it gets stuck and won't recover back to DMA mode once the errors have passed. Removing the IDE channel and rebooting is the only way I know of to fix the issue.