Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

How's OpenOffice now that it's Apache's?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Has anyone spent any quality time with Apache OpenOffice? It's pretty annoying that there is now a LibreOffice and an OpenOffice, and in spite of my relative ignorance of the finer details of the open source world, I find myself thinking Oracle has probably done enormous harm over the past few years and genuinely deserves to die in a fire.

Anyway, some chap is apparently very impressed with OpenOffice now that Apache has taken the helm:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90443

Ringofett
Gerbil

Re: How's OpenOffice now that it's Apache's?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Not sure who you heard all that from, but Libre has left OpenOffice choking in its dust. They've fixed some admittedly obscure but useful issues vs. Word and Excel to where now I still prefer Office, but concede Libre is acceptable.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm

I've had better luck with compatibility and stability with LibreOffice.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Ringofett wrote:
Not sure who you heard all that from

You didn't see the link in the first post?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 pm

TBH I haven't tried OO lately; I had switched to the Go-oo fork prior to the Oracle/OpenOffice/LibreOffice train wreck, and these days just tend to stick with whatever Debian/Ubuntu are shipping (currently LibreOffice).

Guess I ought to give OO another chance...

I'm on the fence regarding whether it's a good thing to have two closely related (but competing) office suites like this. On the one hand, competition can spur innovation; on the other hand, you've gotta believe there's some wasted effort, with people on both teams spending time trying to fix the same bugs. If Apache has fixed OO's governance issues maybe there's a chance the two projects will merge back together at some point?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.