Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

File Depository?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Can't find any free solutions to this problem.

I'd like to be able to supply people with a URL where they could upload small files to without being able to see the contents of the destination source. Think the Box, or Dropbox, but where users are anonymous,they cannot see the content of the shared folders, and it is free.

Unfortunately, I don't have a webhost to use or I would have just given restricted FTP access. Any suggestions?

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: File Depository?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 pm

dashbarron wrote:
Can't find any free solutions to this problem.

I'd like to be able to supply people with a URL where they could upload small files to without being able to see the contents of the destination source. Think the Box, or Dropbox, but where users are anonymous,they cannot see the content of the shared folders, and it is free.

Unfortunately, I don't have a webhost to use or I would have just given restricted FTP access. Any suggestions?

Interesting... so you want each individual user to be able to upload to his or her own account but not be able to see the accounts of anyone else?
Are you actually requiring that the user who uploads the file cannot have any access to that same file that he or she uploaded after the upload is completed?

If you have access to a Linux box, it's pretty straightforward to setup very limited accounts for upload and download using SSH (Windows users can use the WinSCP client or similar programs BTW). In the sshd config you can setup directories for each user where the user is locked to that directory. Additionally, you can do a setup where the users only get file-transfer access (i.e. they can't login with a shell and run programs, only upload/download files from their own personal directory).

Would this satisfy your requirements? If it sounds good, I can get you more details on how to do the setup.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

way2strong
Gerbil

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:54 pm

dashbarron wrote:

It seems to me this means he can't roll his own solution like an ssh server, but needs a web service.

chuckula

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

way2strong wrote:
dashbarron wrote:

It seems to me this means he can't roll his own solution like an ssh server, but needs a web service.

Hrmm... if giving away metadata like the filename isn't a big problem, you could always have the users encrypt the files first. The problem there is you are putting trust in the users to actually do the encryption. Maybe you could setup a MIME type checker or even just a filename filter to help avoid accidental uploads of unencrypted files?
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:43 am

Hmm. Check out Knowledge Tree. It's open source. It runs on Linux. I don't remember if they have a windows version. There's also Alfresco. It's also open source runs on a tomcat server.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:38 pm

way2strong wrote:
dashbarron wrote:

Exactly. I need to have a service I can use where people can upload files, but not be able to see the contents of the repository. I was hoping there was some easy service I could use which would not require anyone to make an account or do any work outside of the actual file uploading. After looking for...two weeks+ now, this doesn't seem to exists. I just assumed there would have been something out there a company was capitalizing on through ads. Dropbox, thebox, etc., etc.,...nope.

chuckula

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 pm

dashbarron wrote:
way2strong wrote:
dashbarron wrote:

Exactly. I need to have a service I can use where people can upload files, but not be able to see the contents of the repository. I was hoping there was some easy service I could use which would not require anyone to make an account or do any work outside of the actual file uploading. After looking for...two weeks+ now, this doesn't seem to exists. I just assumed there would have been something out there a company was capitalizing on through ads. Dropbox, thebox, etc., etc.,...nope.

OK...I can't vouch for it, but how about this one: http://www.hidemyass.com/upload/ They get the win for the funky name if nothing else. 8)

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Haha. The vulgar language probably wouldn't go over well :)

I'll just have to suffer with a email depository instead.

I'm really surprised there isn't some free solution out there to meet my needs. I guess Rule #34 doesn't apply to everything.