Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: NFL 2016

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 am

superjawes wrote:
Time to get politics off the brain and enjoy some football!

Week 10

Thursday Night Football
Cleveland at Baltimore

Sunday
Houston at Jacksonville
Denver at New Orleans
Los Angeles at New York Jets
Atlanta at Philadelphia
Kansas City at Carolina
Chicago at Tampa Bay
Minnesota at Washington
Green Bay at Tennessee
Miami at San Diego
San Francisco at Arizona
Dallas at Pittsburgh

Sunday Night Football
Seattle at New England

Monday Night Football
Cincinnati at New York Giants

Lots of games that should be good this week like Falcons/Eagles, Dolphins/Buccaneers, Cowboys/Steelers, and Seahawks/Patriots. I think the Saints are going to outscore the Broncos, though. Unless that defense can turn up points of their own, their offense just won't be able to keep up with Drew Brees.

The risky pick I'm taking is Ravens over Browns. I do think that the Browns will notch a win this year, and a divisional matchup is a prime chance for that to happen.
A defense that gives up 47 points to the freaking Titans is fundamentally broken. The Packers need to shakeup the coaching staff with Dom Capers at the top of the list.

How about that AFC West, though? The playoff picture is currently projecting 3/4 teams making it. Denver might have gotten away with a step out of bounds, but they did a good job against a team that can run up the score pretty quickly.

Speaking of playoffs, the Browns are still *technically* in the hunt. I think that they can be eliminated next week with a loss to Pittsburgh or a win by Baltimore.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:15 am

Week 11

Thursday Night Football
New Orleans at Carolina

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Cleveland
Baltimore at Dallas
Jacksonville at Detroit
Tennessee at Indianapolis
Buffalo at Cincinnati
Tampa Bay at Kansas City
Chicago at New York Giants
Arizona at Minnesota
Miami at Los Angeles
New England at San Francisco
Philadelphia at Seattle

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay at Washington

Monday Night Football
Houston at Oakland

The Colts woke up a bit right before their Bye Week. Now they are rested, playing at home, and playing a division game. They *should* win this one (which just means the disappointment will be even greater if they lose). The Ravens should put up a good show in Dallas, but I think the Cowboys will take the win.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:59 pm

With today's loss at home to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the 0-11 Cleveland Browns became the first team officially eliminated from the playoffs.  The news doesn't get better, as Cody Kessler may be done for the season with a concussion.  Can the Browns finish with a perfect record?  Here's what they have left on their schedule:
11/27 home against New York Giants
12/11 home against Cincinnati Bengals
12/18 at Buffalo Bills
12/24 home against San Diego Chargers
1/1 at Pittsburgh Steelers
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 am

I think the NFL is still showing them as "in the hunt" because they could theoretically win all five games and match the records of Baltimore and Pittsburgh...still quite unlikely, but not an official elimination, either. One more loss should do it, though.

As for finishing 0-16 or 1-15, it probably depends on Pittsburgh . The Giants and Bengals will definitely need wins for their own playoff hopes, the Bills will probably want a win for their own pride, and the Chargers are in the strongest division. If the Steelers can clinch a playoff berth, they might let the Browns have an easy win just to keep their team healthy. There might be a small chance to beat the Chargers, but that's pretty unlikely.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 am

superjawes wrote:
Week 11

Thursday Night Football
New Orleans at Carolina

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Cleveland
Baltimore at Dallas
Jacksonville at Detroit
Tennessee at Indianapolis
Buffalo at Cincinnati
Tampa Bay at Kansas City
Chicago at New York Giants
Arizona at Minnesota
Miami at Los Angeles
New England at San Francisco
Philadelphia at Seattle

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay at Washington

Monday Night Football
Houston at Oakland

Wins update. Also, since we're getting close to the playoffs, we can probably start speculating who makes it...

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: ???
AFC South: ???
AFC West: Broncos or Raiders
Wild Card 1: Chiefs
Wild Card 2: Broncos or Raiders (depends on who takes the division)

NFC East: Cowboys
NFC North: Lions
NFC South: Falcons
NFC West: Seahawks
Wild Card 1: Giants
Wild Card 2: Vikings

The AFC North/South are kind of garbage right now. They will obviously come down to Ravens/Steelers and Texans/Colts, but I don't think there's a clear favorite. Maybe we'll get a better idea on Thanksgiving. The Steelers usually have the Colts' number, but the game is in Indianapolis, so you never know.

The AFC Wild Cards probably go to the West. The Broncos, Raiders, and Chiefs all look very strong, and unless one of them falls apart, they all make the playoffs. If a breakdown DOES happen, I think the Dolphins sneak into 6th seed.

The NFC is a bit more predictable. The Cowboys are definitely taking the East and probably 1st overall seed, with the Seahawks at 2nd. The South is close, but I think the Falcons can keep their lead. The North is a different kind of mess. The Vikings should be the favorites, but they've been shaky lately, and the Lions have an opportunity to take the lead on Thanksgiving (I think they do). The Packers...will probably not even make a wild card, and with any luck, they'll be hiring new coaching staff in the off season.

As for wild cards, I think the Giants can take one, and the Vikings or Lions will take the other.
Last edited by superjawes on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:19 am

As a Texans fan, I'm just hoping the Colts suck, but not enough that they finally fire Pagano.   The Jags I just feel bad for.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:34 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
As a Texans fan, I'm just hoping the Colts suck, but not enough that they finally fire Pagano.   The Jags I just feel bad for.

As a Colts fan...my feelings are mixed. I always want to see them win, but it's clear that we aren't going to the Super Bowl with Grigson and Pagano at the helm, so missing the playoffs again might be better for us in the long run. As soon as the defense achieves "basic competence", the Colts will go back to dominating the AFC south :P

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:37 pm

In your dreams. The Flaming Tacks are actually improving and we're competent even with bad QB's.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

superjawes
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Getting in a bit early for Thanksgiving.

Week 12

Thanksgiving Games
Minnesota at Detroit
Washington at Dallas
Pittsburgh at Indianapolis

The early game should be good. I think the Lions have the momentum and home field advantage, giving them an edge. The Cowboys are red hot and should make easy work of the Redskins. The late game would have been a fun shootout to watch...if Andrew Luck was healthy... :-?

Sunday
Tennessee at Chicago
Jacksonville at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Baltimore
Arizona at Atlanta
New York Giants at Cleveland
Los Angeles at New Orleans
San Francisco at Miami
San Diego at Houston
Seattle at Tampa Bay
New England at New York Jets
Carolina at Oakland

The Giants get the honor of (officially) knocking the Browns out of the playoff hunt. The Panthers might put on a good show, but I think that the Raiders will notch another win to stay atop the AFC West.

(EDIT: Technically the Browns are already out because the top teams in the division still have to play each other.)

Sunday Night Football
Kansas City at Denver

Denver is coming off bye, playing at home, in prime time, against a division rival. Game should be intense, but Broncos should come out on top.

Monday Night Football
Green Bay at Philadelphia

The Packers have given up almost 90 points in two weeks...to the Titans and the Redskins.
Last edited by superjawes on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Browns are already completely out of the playoff hunt at 0-11; they can't take the division (even if they win out the Ravens and Steelers both hold tie breakers) and there's multiple teams with 6+ wins to take the wildcard slots. 

49ers are, I *think* looking at a possibility of elmiination if they lose, and the Seahawks, Redskins,a nd Vikings win (since that would put both division and wildcard slots out of reach).

superjawes
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:48 pm

That's what I get for going off of nfl.com :oops:

I think it is literally impossible for them to make the playoffs now. I think maybe the program is seeing a possibility of having the Browns, Steelers, and Ravens all at 5-11, but that would literally be impossible since the Steelers and Ravens have an upcoming game.

EDIT: the 49ers are in that same "realistically eliminated" space. I don't think they can beat the Seahawks for the division (7-8-1 would be better than 7-9), and from there they need a lot of help from other teams to get a better record than the Vikings, Lions, or Redskins (and a win from the Redskins would definitely eliminate the 9ers).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 pm

superjawes wrote:
That's what I get for going off of nfl.com  :oops:

Previously, I wrote:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:51 pm

By losing for a franchise record 10th straight time today, the 1-10 San Francisco 49ers have also eliminated themselves from playoff contention.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
By losing for a franchise record 10th straight time today, the 1-10 San Francisco 49ers have also eliminated themselves from playoff contention.

I'd love to listen in on the chatter in SF's front office. They had an ugly breakup with Harbaugh, gave Tomsula a chance (kinda?), and now Chip Kelly is on track to have a worse record than Tomsula. It's pretty clear at this point that coaching isn't their problem, but I wonder if upper management realizes this...

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 am

I did not see any of the Sunday games, so I am still catching up on highlights.
superjawes wrote:
Week 12

Thanksgiving Games
Minnesota at Detroit
Washington at Dallas
Pittsburgh at Indianapolis

Sunday
Tennessee at Chicago
Jacksonville at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Baltimore
Arizona at Atlanta
New York Giants at Cleveland
Los Angeles at New Orleans
San Francisco at Miami
San Diego at Houston
Seattle at Tampa Bay
New England at New York Jets
Carolina at Oakland

Sunday Night Football
Kansas City at Denver

Monday Night Football
Green Bay at Philadelphia

Minnesota kept it close, but Stafford is definitely a better QB when you need a last minute effort. The Colts showed signs of life, but they were hurting bad without Luck.

Anyone want to give a rundown of what happened in Tampa? Having a team (the Seahawks, no less) score 5 points is strange, but I saw several ugly highlights for the Hawks. The Falcons still look solid for taking the NFC South, but the Bucs might make a run for it. Should be interesting, at least.

superjawes
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Dallas can, with a little help from San Diego or OR Arizona, clinch the first playoff berth of 2016.

Week 13

Thursday Night Football
Minnesota at Dallas

Sunday
Kansas City at Atlanta
Detroit at New Orleans
Los Angeles at New England
Denver at Jacksonville
Houston at Green Bay
Philadelphia at Cincinnati
Miami at Baltimore
San Francisco at Chicago
Buffalo at Oakland
New York Giants at Pittsburgh
Washington at Arizona
Tampa Bay at San Diego

Sunday Night Football
Carolina at Seattle

Monday Night Football
Indianapolis at New York Jets

Dallas is the easy pick, IMO. It's at home, and the Vikings haven't been great lately. If Dallas gets a decent lead, Minnesota won't be able to recover. There are a lot of games to keep an eye on this week. KC vs. ATL should be good. MIA vs. BAL is important for both teams' playoff chances, as is TB vs. SD. Oakland should be able to snag another home win, but they shouldn't underestimate Rex's Bills.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 pm

With their Thursday night victory (a franchise record 11th in a row) and a loss by a division rival this evening, the 11-1 Dallas Cowboys became the first team to clinch a spot in the NFL playoffs this season.   Meanwhile, the Jacksonville Jaguars lost their 7th game in a row to become the third team eliminated.  The Bears, Jets, Rams, Panthers and Bengals are mathematically still alive, but it's not going to happen for them, either.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:03 am

superjawes wrote:
Week 13

Thursday Night Football
Minnesota at Dallas

Sunday
Kansas City at Atlanta
Detroit at New Orleans
Los Angeles at New England
Denver at Jacksonville
Houston at Green Bay
Philadelphia at Cincinnati
Miami at Baltimore
San Francisco at Chicago
Buffalo at Oakland
New York Giants at Pittsburgh
Washington at Arizona
Tampa Bay at San Diego

Sunday Night Football
Carolina at Seattle

Monday Night Football
Indianapolis at New York Jets

Looking at the Playoff Picture (some speculation implied)...

AFC East: New England
AFC North: Baltimore, Pittsburgh are alive
AFC South: Tennessee, Houston, and Indianapolis are all alive, and will be tied 6-6 pending tonight's MNF game
AFC West: Oakland on top, Kansas City are close, Denver are alive

AFC Wild Cards: Oakland, Kansas City, and Denver are top contenders (pending who wins the division). If any of those teams crumble in the final four weeks, Miami, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh all have chances to sneak in.

AFC Spectators: Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York Jets, Buffalo, Jacksonville, San Diego

NFC East: Dallas (#1 seed overall)
NFC North: Detroit on top, Green Bay and Minnesota are alive
NFC South: Atlanta and Tampa Bay are tied
NFC West: Seattle

NFC Wild Cards: The New York Giants are the strongest (IMO). Green Bay and Minnesota are probably in position to battle down the stretch for the other wild card, but Tampa and Atlanta aren't out, either.

NFC Spectators: Philadelphia, Chicago, New Orleans, Carolina, Los Angeles, San Francisco

superjawes
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 am

So about last night...I always like seeing my Colts win, but that felt cruel.

Also, the Jets' loss last night (officially) eliminates them from the playoffs.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 am

The Bears can't even tank for draft position correctly. Neither can the Packers
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 am

Week 14

Thursday Night Football
Oakland at Kansas City

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Buffalo
Denver at Tennessee
Washington at Philadelphia
Arizona at Miami
Minnesota at Jacksonville
Houston at Indianapolis
San Diego at Carolina
Cincinnati at Cleveland
Chicago at Detroit
New York Jets at San Francisco
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Atlanta at Los Angeles
Seattle at Green Bay

Sunday Night Football
Dallas at New York Giants

Monday Night Football
Baltimore at New England

Got some good playoff stuffs this week. Dallas can secure the NFC East, and with some help, they can secure everything up to home field advantage. It all starts with beating the Giants on the road, though, and the Cowboys' only loss on the season was to said Giants.

Seattle have a chance to secure the NFC West, too. Basically they just have to get a better result than Arizona (SEA win + ARI tie/loss, or SEA tie + ARI loss). A road game to Wisconsin will be difficult, though, as would one to South Florida. Both games should be worth watching.

In the AFC, New England can win the East with the same "do better" conditions, this time looking to Miami. They can clinch a first round bye if Pittsburgh lose or tie.

Oakland can't secure the West this week, but they can snag a playoff berth under a slew of conditions.

Outside of games that would immediately secure playoff spots, the Colts have a big game at home against the Texans. They could/should have won the first meeting, and they need to win this one to have any real shot at a postseason.

Personally, I'll also be interested in the Bengals/Browns game. I still think that Cleveland will secure a win this season, and right now, the Bengals are the best candidate.
Last edited by superjawes on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 am

I'm not sure on the math, but it also looks like Cincinnati, San Diego, Chicago, and Los Angeles could be (formally) eliminated this week, too.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Watching the Steelers at the Bills is making me shiver.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:26 pm

superjawes wrote:
Week 14

Thursday Night Football
Oakland at Kansas City

Sunday
Pittsburgh at Buffalo
Denver at Tennessee
Washington at Philadelphia
Arizona at Miami
Minnesota at Jacksonville
Houston at Indianapolis
San Diego at Carolina
Cincinnati at Cleveland
Chicago at Detroit
New York Jets at San Francisco
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Atlanta at Los Angeles
Seattle at Green Bay

Sunday Night Football
Dallas at New York Giants

Monday Night Football
Baltimore at New England

Cleveland remain winless, and SF fall to the Jets in OT. This puts Chip Kelly's record BELOW that of Jim Tomsula, even if the 49ers manage to win all of their remaining games.

Atlanta and Green Bay absolutely crushed their opponents this week. With Tampa Bay's good showing, they not only stand a chance to win a wild card spot, but they also have a very real chance at snagging the NFC South. Green Bay still need some help, but a strong close to the season puts them in contention for a wild card, too.
Last edited by superjawes on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:20 am

The 3-10 Chicago Bears and 4-9 Los Angeles Rams became the fifth and sixth teams eliminated from the playoffs on Sunday. The Rams gave Jeff Fisher a two-year contract extension last week.  He responded by tying the NFL's all-time record for losses by a head coach.

At 5-8, the San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints are mathematically still alive for the playoffs but I don't expect that it will happen for them.  The playoff chances for the 5-7-1 Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals are also slim.

At a surprising 8-5 under their young first-year head coach, quarterback whisperer Adam Gase, the Miami Dolphins are in the thick of the AFC wildcard race, but losing a much-improved Ryan Tannehill to a torn ACL hurts their chances going forward.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:33 am

14 games in and the Rams are already making last year at the Edward Jones Dome look like it was absolutely packed to the gills. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:11 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The 3-10 Chicago Bears and 4-9 Los Angeles Rams became the fifth and sixth teams eliminated from the playoffs on Sunday. The Rams gave Jeff Fisher a two-year contract extension last week.  He responded by tying the NFL's all-time record for losses by a head coach.
The joke response is that Fisher obviously has blackmail on someone...realistically, I'm not sure why he's still there. Perhaps they wanted to maintain some continuity over their return to LA?

At 5-8, the San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints are mathematically still alive for the playoffs but I don't expect that it will happen for them.  The playoff chances for the 5-7-1 Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals are also slim.
The Chargers/Eagles/Bengals/Cardinals would have to win their final 3 AND no other WC contender can get to 9 wins. To break it down a bit more, the Chargers/Eagles would (additionally) have to win tiebreakers, the Bengals/Cardinals could snag spots thanks win percentages padded by ties, and I believe that the Panthers/Saints have mathematical chances to take the NFC South.

Additionally, the Cardinals (5-7-1) have a real (albeit slim) chance of stealing the AFC West. In order, the Seahawks (8-4-1) face the Rams (Seattle have lost the last 3 meetings), the Cardinals, and the 49ers. Meanwhile, the Cardinals face the Saints, Seahawks, and Rams.

At a surprising 8-5 under their young first-year head coach, quarterback whisperer Adam Gase, the Miami Dolphins are in the thick of the AFC wildcard race, but losing a much-improved Ryan Tannehill to a torn ACL hurts their chances going forward.
It ain't looking good for the Dolphins. They have to compete for a spot against the Raiders (10-3), Broncos (8-5), Steelers (8-5), and Ravens (7-5 + game tonight) for that Wild Card, and their final games are @ Jets, @ Bills, and vs. Patriots.

derFunkenstein wrote:
14 games in and the Rams are already making last year at the Edward Jones Dome look like it was absolutely packed to the gills. :lol:

Speaking of empty stadiums, apparently some Browns tickets hit $1...

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:29 am

Baltimore @ New England tonight. I know the Ravens CAN do it. I'm not sure if they WILL do it though <sadpanda>.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:48 pm

superjawes wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
The joke response is that Fisher obviously has blackmail on someone...realistically, I'm not sure why he's still there. Perhaps they wanted to maintain some continuity over their return to LA?

Well, the Rams gave Fisher the extension before the season, and were waiting for a good time to announce it. A good time never came. As to why, I don't know. They've never turned in a winning record in his tenure. But he was The Guy and everyone was excited after his time in Tennessee.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:14 pm

superjawes wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
The Miami Dolphins are in the thick of the AFC wildcard race.
Their final games are @ Jets, @ Bills, and vs. Patriots.
The next two are winnable. The Chiefs/Raiders are likely to continue to push the Patriots, so they probably won't rest in week 17. 10-6 should get the second wildcard spot.