Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: 2016 World Series

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:26 am

So Back To The Future just had an off-by-one error. :wink:

(Probably a 0-based versus 1-based array indexing issue...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:50 am

Now that I've had some sleep and can run through the myriad ESPN videos with an analytical eye, I noticed that once the out had been called, Anthony Rizzo shoved that ball as far down in his back pocket (why do baseball uniforms have pockets?) as humanly possible.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:56 am

I made it to work on time.

Great game. My wife has finally become a Cubs fan. (She has been a Rangers fan to this point.)

I never thought I would see it happen.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
Cute. I guess this also implies that the teams which make it to the World Series tend to be pretty evenly matched. (Which makes sense.)

Probably true. There are some outliers, particularly where the Wild Card winner just got hot at the right time and beat a considerably stronger team (the Giants were a wild card in 2014, for example), and you really can't reliably predict the winner. This year the Cubs had the best record in baseball, but the last time a best-record team won the World Series was 2013 and the time before that was like 2009.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:15 am

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

derFunkenstein wrote:
Seriously classic game. Glad Chapman got torched at least.
I simply didn't see the need to bring him in in Game 6.

This was a great series to watch, but I am tired of hearing over and over the last 24-48, that they shouldn't have brought Chapman in game 6.

Bringing him in was the right thing to do, to ensure there is a game 7 tomorrow, and all the naysayers should look back no further then the Jays/Orioles wild card game this post season.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ch+britton

You dont bring Chapman in to pitch in game 6, and there is no tomorrow.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:22 am

I absolutely agree with Dposcorp. Lots of hot takes saying "shouldn't have used Chapman in game 6" around Twitter last night. Even my wife on the couch with me said that. The rest of the Cubs bullpen was eminently hittable. In an elimination game you have to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:35 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
In an elimination game you have to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

I get that. You still have to leave something in the tank for the next day. Who knew 24 hours ago that the something would be a journeyman who has more trades than saves?

Dposcorp

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:39 am

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
In an elimination game you have to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

I get that. You still have to leave something in the tank for the next day. Who knew 24 hours ago that the something would be a journeyman who has more trades than saves?

You are still not getting it..........what good is a full tank the next if the series ended the day before? Leave everything on the table, so you have no regrets.
Just like Kyle Schwarber trying to stretch a single into a double.......if he hurts himself again, at least he gave it his all.
If you lose tomorrow, it will be in game 7, not game 6 with a bunch of second guessing.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 am

Al, I get it. I've been a Yankees fan since as long as I've known about baseball (the first closer I really remember was Sparky Lyle) so I grok riding on closers. I still need to have a plan for tomorrow IF we win tonight.

Dposcorp

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:32 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Al, I get it. I've been a Yankees fan since as long as I've known about baseball (the first closer I really remember was Sparky Lyle) so I grok riding on closers. I still need to have a plan for tomorrow IF we win tonight.

I know Ned, I just like bothering you.

Also, this was one of the better articles I read today, and also has a good paragraph I can quote to bug you :)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 3e1e391bc2
3. There are limits to the gains from tactical wizardry. The starkest contrast this postseason was between Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter and Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona. In the wild-card game, Showalter did not use this season’s best reliever in an extra inning game. In the first game of the Indians’ Division Series against the Red Sox, Francona went to his best reliever, Andrew Miller, in the fifth inning to squelch a rally. The Orioles lost their one playoff game and were eliminated; Francona guided his team to Game 7 of the World Series.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:48 am

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:09 pm

When do the Indians make a play for Theo Epstein? He's now broken two age-old curses and is clearly headed for Cooperstown, but he's still young enough to maybe break a third curse.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Debating whether to even try to go in to the office tomorrow. Metra (the commuter rail system us suburbanites use to get in to the Loop) has already posted a warning on their web site that trains will be "crowded and off-schedule" tomorrow, due to the expected mobs of people coming in to the city for the victory parade and rally.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Debating whether to even try to go in to the office tomorrow. Metra (the commuter rail system us suburbanites use to get in to the Loop) has already posted a warning on their web site that trains will be "crowded and off-schedule" tomorrow, due to the expected mobs of people coming in to the city for the victory parade and rally.

Hey, Bill Murray gave ChicagoLand kids the rest of the week off as a school vacation, so roll with it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:05 pm

Pointed out the warnings on the Metra site to my immediate supervisor. He's not touching that with a 10-foot pole, so it's decided then. Looks like the entire group is working from home tomorrow to avoid the clusterf**k that the commuter trains and downtown area will almost certainly turn into. (Aside from the guy who took a vacation day... maybe he's planning on going to the rally. :lol:)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:46 pm

I've been a Cubs fan since 1981. I'm still not entirely sure that last night happened, even though I dropped $500 on Cubs World Series swag this afternoon.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 pm

idchafee wrote:
I've been a Cubs fan since 1981. I'm still not entirely sure that last night happened, even though I dropped $500 on Cubs World Series swag this afternoon.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan (not all that into sports in general), but it is definitely surreal. I watched the series, and the thing that kept going through my mind was, "Holy crap, *this* could be the proverbial 'next year' I've been hearing about since I was growing up in the 1970s!" :lol: