Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Australian Open

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:45 am

Not that anyone here cares all that much about tennis, but singles finals of Nadal v. Federer and Williams v. Williams should at least not suck.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Australian Open

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am

Great. At least Nadal did not reach the Finals easy, since Fed had 2 5-setters on the road to the Finals. This is definitely a "throwback" tournament where all the youngsters fell early.

It is going to be interesting to see if Fed still had a psychological scare vs Rafa, especially during the Finals. Seems like this year's court is a bit faster compared to the surface over the last 10 years, and that is enough to help Fed one more time. As for the Williams sisters, Serena pretty much owned her older sister for years already. IMO it will take a miracle for Venus to win.

My prediction:
Fed wins if <= 4 sets.
Serena

But yes, both matches should be more exciting than most of today's games by these "youngsters". Too bad it will be 3-4am my time. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:35 am

Captain Ned wrote:
singles finals of Nadal v. Federer and Williams v. Williams should at least not suck.

Whoa, are we back in 2008?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:37 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
singles finals of Nadal v. Federer and Williams v. Williams should at least not suck.

Whoa, are we back in 2008?

Would be nice if the older ones win one more time for sure. That will complete this year's theme.

Edit - and right on cue, those fanboys of the baseliners are suggesting the courts were made faster just to suit Fed. How about all those years of slowing everything (Wimbledon especially) everywhere? Unfair to who now?
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ter-courts

Do people really want 30+ stroke rallies all the time in 2+ hour matches all the time? That will be really boring, and not good to players' bodies.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.