Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NFL Free Agency (+Draft?) 2017

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Okay...we got some fun news, so I had to start a thread.

Brock Osweiler: Houston Texans > Cleveland Browns
He had a solid starting gig in Denver, but he passed to take a huge contract in Houston. After a mediocre year opposite a strong defense, Houston have traded the QB plus a 2nd round 2018 draft pick to Cleveland. The funny part? Cleveland are unlikely to keep Osweiler. They will likely try another trade, and if they cannot offload him, they essentially paid $16 million for a draft pick (might not be terrible for a team with a ton of cap space).

Chicago Bears: Jay Cutler--CUT,
Chicago have ended the Jay Cutler era and signed Mike Glennon to a 3-year, $45 million deal.

Tony Romo: ???
It doesn't look like Dallas will find a trade for Tony Romo, and the former starter appears ready for release. Prior to today's news, I thought Denver would be the best landing spot. The Broncos still have one of the best defenses in the league, and it would be a nice, short-term gig that could land a Super Bowl appearance. However...the Osweiler trade frees up plenty of cap space for the Texans to make a deal. I think that Denver + Romo > Houston + Romo, but the later combo would still be potent, and now Houston can make a strong offer.

Feel free to share more stories and speculation.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: NFL Free Agency (+Draft?) 2017

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Romo should retire while he can still walk.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:07 pm

The Osweiler trade is pretty amazing. That's some out-of-the-box thinking on both sides. The Texans gave up a second round pick to be rid of Osweiler and his huge salary. The Browns gave up cash and cap space to get a second round pick.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/broc ... omo-030917
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/clev ... all-030917
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/power-pla ... --nfl.html
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

I guess I forgot about this thread for a while...

Tony Romo: RETIRED
Despite the best efforts in Houston, Tony Romo has retired to take a job in broadcasting. This leaves the Texans without a starting QB, and Denver's situation is still somewhat fluid.

Eddie Lacy: Green Bay Packers > Seattle Seahawks
I liked Eddie Lacy in Green Bay, but it appears that his struggle to stay in shape resulted in lukewarm feelings, so now Seattle have a potential replacement for Marshawn Lynch. Speaking of Beastmode...

Marshawn Lynch: Retired/Seattle Seahawks > "Oakland" Raiders
THIS is an interesting one. Seattle technically still have Marshawn's contract, but they are apparently willing to deal with Oakland to make this move happen. Looking at both teams, I have a feeling that Lynch's early-ish retirement might have been primarily driven by the decline of the Seahawks. Now that his home team is looking Super Bowl ready, he is poised to add some lethal talent to an already powerful offense.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

druidcent

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:22 pm

As an avid Denver fan, I wouldn't say the Denver situation is fluid.. They have two young QBs, one with a solid year of experience. This will be the year to see if he can step it up to be an average QB behind an extremely crappy O-line.. And Paxton Lynch will have a year of studying behind him, so hopefully he can start developing into the first-rounder that he was projected. I never took the Romo to Denver rumors seriously, unless Romo was cut.. Elway wasn't going to trade for that monster contract for only 1 to 2 years of QB play.