Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Help me understand, why is there a sport section?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am

whm1974 wrote:
OK I'm wondering why there is a sport's section on a geek site?

Because some geeks like sports.

After all true geeks and nerds have a strong disdain for people that like or play sports, especially football and wrestling.

Nah. Not even remotely close to being true. There are a lot of geeks and nerds who love sports, even play sports. There are entire careers in sports that are tailor made for geeks and nerds.

Can you guys clear this up for me?

Seems pretty clear already.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:15 am

Don't stereotype. I mean, Asia Carrera is totally a computer geek. And for the love of WHOMEVER, do not google her at work.

I'm mostly over sports. I watched way too much as a younger man and got unhealthily obsessed at times (I so clearly remember breaking my glasses by throwing them on the ground in anger after Jay Burson and OSU beat Louisville in 1989). My only thrills nowadays come from rooting for teams I perennially hate, to lose.

In order from most hated to "almost meh":

1) Duke men's basketball.
2) See above
3) See above
4) New England Patriots
5) Ohio State football
6) Whichever NBA team Lebron James is playing for (sure he's one of the best ever, but what a drama queen)
7) New York Yankees (this is the only one where I can't remember why I root against them)
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 am

kvndoom wrote:
7) New York Yankees (this is the only one where I can't remember why I root against them)

Because management tries to buy their way to build a championship team?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

kvndoom wrote:
Don't stereotype. I mean, Asia Carrera is totally a computer geek. And for the love of WHOMEVER, do not google her at work.

Back in the day she used to post in the [H]ardOCP forums! Hell she is even a good friend of the founder of the [H]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am

kvndoom wrote:
6) Whichever NBA team Lebron James is playing for (sure he's one of the best ever, but what a drama queen)

Buckethead is a music geek supreme, and he's apparently really into basketball. His best-known track ("Jordan") was dedicated to Michael Jordan, and he's done multiple songs dedicated to Lebron James.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-NjZp7Aurg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqwJNEwhUVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1bW1qu_6Fg
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

This thread reminded me...the Packers are apparently big tabletop fans, including Settlers of Catan.

On top of that, Andrew Luck (the caveman QB of the Indianapolis Colts) hosts his own book club, complete with "rookie" and "veteran" books each month.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
meerkt wrote:
True nerds don't use JPEG for line art.

Didn't you see the image? There's no such thing as a true nerd!

A-ha! You're a sports fan.

just brew it! wrote:
That actually occurred to me when I downloaded it to make my modified version. I re-compressed it with JPEG after the edit anyway figuring most of the damage was already done, and that compression artifacts had likely already ruined the chances of getting a better compression ratio out of PNG.

You should have used either a JPEG saver that only re-encodes modified macroblocks, or bitmap->vector->bitmap + save as PNG (or GIF, if smaller).
BTW, there are JPEG compressors with a mode optimized for lineart, making mosquito noise less visible. I don't remember which ones. Maybe it's an option in the Mozilla encoder?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:52 am

meerkt wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
That actually occurred to me when I downloaded it to make my modified version. I re-compressed it with JPEG after the edit anyway figuring most of the damage was already done, and that compression artifacts had likely already ruined the chances of getting a better compression ratio out of PNG.

You should have used either a JPEG saver that only re-encodes modified macroblocks, or bitmap->vector->bitmap + save as PNG (or GIF, if smaller).
BTW, there are JPEG compressors with a mode optimized for lineart, making mosquito noise less visible. I don't remember which ones. Maybe it's an option in the Mozilla encoder?

It wasn't worth spending more than 5 minutes on. Figuring those things out would've taken extra effort! :lol:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Ha, this thread has fully degenerated into nerd pedantry, I approve :)

It was mspaint, took around 45 seconds to make and I clipboarded it to imgur in another 15.

The real question is this; Do you see it as black and blue or gold and white?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:29 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
The real question is this; Do you see it as black and blue or gold and white?

You should've made it an animated GIF, so you could ask people if they perceived any sounds while watching it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... sion-ears/

Kieta
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 pm

I love sports almost as much as I love computers. Football, baseball and basketball are my favs. I'm still mad Madden 08 was the last Madden for PC!!! Oh and the days of NBA Live on PC!!

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm

bthylafh wrote:
kvndoom wrote:

Because management tries to buy their way to build a championship team?

To be fair, management of every team in professional sports tries to buy their way to a championship - it's literally their job.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure you know my meaning.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

videobits
Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:05 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
My point is...did you try it? Did you try any sports? You can't say you hate something if you never tried it.

Yes I was forced to play sports against my will during PE. :evil:

First....the crap they force you to play during PE in school probably did suck and shouldn't be used to pass judgement. My own personal history says 5 out of 6 gym teachers sucked.

Here's the thing...from a totally scientific (nerd if you will) reason, you need to keep exercising to stay healthy. So, what are you going to do? Run in circles around the block or play a game with some friends. This is why you find me in my upper forties playing beer league indoor soccer twice a week.

And final thought. If you simply expand your definition to what is a 'sport' then it will fit in perfectly here on Tech Report. This is a link to a program at a school one of my in-laws teaches at:

http://www.kwu.edu/about-kwu/kansas-wesleyan-university-esports
and this
https://nacesports.org/

There. Nerds, geeks, sports. DONE

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

videobits wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
My point is...did you try it? Did you try any sports? You can't say you hate something if you never tried it.

Yes I was forced to play sports against my will during PE. :evil:

First....the crap they force you to play during PE in school probably did suck and shouldn't be used to pass judgement. My own personal history says 5 out of 6 gym teachers sucked.

Here's the thing...from a totally scientific (nerd if you will) reason, you need to keep exercising to stay healthy. So, what are you going to do? Run in circles around the block or play a game with some friends. This is why you find me in my upper forties playing beer league indoor soccer twice a week.

And final thought. If you simply expand your definition to what is a 'sport' then it will fit in perfectly here on Tech Report. This is a link to a program at a school one of my in-laws teaches at:

and this
https://nacesports.org/

Walk to school or ride a bicycle.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:53 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I didn't say that the stereotypes apply to everyone, but I think that if we give an IQ test, people who watch WWE and Football will score lower then everybody else.

I was staying out of it just fine, but this is too much. Things (not people) I love most in life: Nature. Sports. Technology (PC's, servers, networking, "what's a computer"). Sometimes after the NFL playoffs end, Sports takes a back seat to Tech, but by July, football anticipation has pushed Sports back to 2. I played around 100 baseball games a year from 6th grade to 12th grade, along with the other big sports.

Slopes are slippery and therefore dangerous, whm1974. The IQ comment is pushing me to the edge of being dangerous to you.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm

whm1974 is very good at insulting anyone whose thought processes don't work exactly like his. Which is pretty much everyone, I guess.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 is very good at insulting anyone whose thought processes don't work exactly like his. Which is pretty much everyone, I guess.

Thankfully. 8)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Redocbew

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Walk to school or ride a bicycle.

Cycling is a sport, and if you started doing that then you could also complain about random motorists trying to run you over whether or not that was their intention.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I don't think it's malicious. Like the "No True Scotsman" argument he's trying to find a definition of what a "True Geek" means - to him.

So far, we can ascertain that:

True Geeks program in C
True Geeks use Linux
True Geeks aren't into sports

Let's see where this ends up.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Pancake wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I don't think it's malicious. Like the "No True Scotsman" argument he's trying to find a definition of what a "True Geek" means - to him.

So far, we can ascertain that:

True Geeks program in C
True Geeks use Linux
True Geeks aren't into sports

Let's see where this ends up.

He's probably got at least a couple more conditions for his definition, but they'd drag this thread into R&P territory so I'll refrain from mentioning them.

rinshun
Gerbil

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Give him a break the guy was just joking...

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 pm

rinshun wrote:
Give him a break the guy was just joking...

Err... if you'd been following his posting history in R&P you'd be less inclined to think so.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:05 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I'm pretty sure you know my meaning.

On top of that, MOST teams spend as little as necessary and try to build their rosters through smart drafting, only signing free agents to big bucks if they fill a need. I mean, can anybody reasonably accuse the Seattle Mariners of "buying a championship"? :lol:

While we're on the topic of player signings, I'm firmly in the camp that players should get as much as they can on the free market. Ownership groups rake in the cash and fans blindly wave money at them to buy their stuff, but for some reason the players are the ones that get turned into villains. In reality they provide a service at an elite level (even Daniel Descalso is better at baseball than anyone in this thread) and they should get paid according to what their services do for the on-field product that the ownership is trying to sell. I don't care that it's obscene amounts of money. Those same players are generating revenue (in some cases) that is multiple orders of magnitude greater than that.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
At the very least, it needs this:
It really seems like it is more of an overt sports hatred than a secret phobia.

You beat me to it!

whm, if you channel all this posting time into any sort of competitive endeavor (sports, Bonsai, whatever), you'll soar. Good luck and godspeed.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:29 pm

videobits wrote:

While disliking "nerds" or "jocks" is silly, LOL players deserve a world of scorn. ;)

DOTA for life.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Everyone has thrown in the obvious-Computer games are a sport.

Different approach-
Bricklayers-concrete workers-factory workers etc all get plenty of exercise.
Geeks through no fault of their own can spend 8 hours a day on their bums.
So come the weekend,playing sport helps to keep heart problems and diabetes at bay,and promotes a healthy body.
LOGIC-geeks should be more into sport than others...................................

And pretty please-do not mention the word gym...................

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm

HERETIC wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Different approach-
So come the weekend,playing sport helps to keep heart problems and diabetes at bay,and promotes a healthy body.
LOGIC-geeks should be more into sport than others...................................

Bike cycle riding and jogging can provide plenty of exercise, and what is wrong with a gym using the exercise equipment?

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:00 am

whm1974 wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Different approach-

Bike cycle riding and jogging can provide plenty of exercise, and what is wrong with a gym using the exercise equipment?

Bike riding-yup that's a sport...
You could add swimming as well..............
To the best of my knowledge "jogging" can actually be bad for you...

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 am

HERETIC wrote:
Bike riding-yup that's a sport...

An extremely competitive sport.

HERETIC wrote:
To the best of my knowledge "jogging" can actually be bad for you...

It's also not immune to jocks and their ridicule: "Hobby Joggers"