Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Help me understand, why is there a sport section?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:43 am

I think the OP was just pandering expecting a large number of "OMG ME TOO" responses and to my delight, the realities of real life kicked in. People are diverse. We don't live in a trope of what a 'real' nerd should be. That's a small mindset. http://reddit.com/r/gatekeeping or the "No True Scotsman" fallacy in action.

I'm a programmer but I enjoy lifting weights, and watching hockey, football, and fighting. There's nothing wrong with enjoying sports alone, or more intellectual pursuits alone. Dexter Holland, lead singer and front-man for the punk-rock band "The Offspring" was pursuing a PhD in molecular biology and has published a peer reviewed paper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Ho ... fic_career). Do what you love, why bother with the 'why' of what someone else chooses to pursue? Don't try so hard to box people in, give them a chance. Change is good. Experience is good. Try new things.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:12 am

I know two different people that have finished Ironman Wisconsin. That includes a full marathon and 112 miles of riding a bike (and a 2+ mile swim).

If biking and "jogging" are not a sport, I don't know what is. :lol:

Dexter Holland is one of my heroes. I've been listening to the Offspring since high school, and even their recent stuff is really good.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am

I used to do kickboxing (school went out of business), and am nerdy. Still lift; currently recovering from some back injuries but hope to have my squat back up over 400 and my dead back up over 450 within a couple of months (I'd like 5 and 6 respectively but that'll be a bit).

No, we're not all anti jock. FFS my kid brother's the biggest gamer I know IRL and he played football, did boxing, and totaled something like 1280 in powerlifting in high school.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:22 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
I think the OP was just pandering expecting a large number of "OMG ME TOO" responses and to my delight, the realities of real life kicked in. People are diverse. We don't live in a trope of what a 'real' nerd should be. That's a small mindset. http://reddit.com/r/gatekeeping or the "No True Scotsman" fallacy in action.

I'm a programmer but I enjoy lifting weights, and watching hockey, football, and fighting. There's nothing wrong with enjoying sports alone, or more intellectual pursuits alone. Dexter Holland, lead singer and front-man for the punk-rock band "The Offspring" was pursuing a PhD in molecular biology and has published a peer reviewed paper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Ho ... fic_career). Do what you love, why bother with the 'why' of what someone else chooses to pursue? Don't try so hard to box people in, give them a chance. Change is good. Experience is good. Try new things.

Very true, and that is why I enjoy this community that has a common affinity for Tech but also diverse with many different interests. I've always loved science/engineering/computers and physical activities preferably outdoors (surfing, kayaking, trail biking etc.) Which is probably why I set my goal for a Professional Engineering license and gravitated to being a science and engineering officer in the USAF. It is the whole-person concept to balance mind, body and spirit. Speaking of rockers with PhD's, Dr Brian May guitarist who founded Queen started as an astrophysicist just before they broke out then 30 years later went back and finished his thesis: "A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud"
Last edited by G8torbyte on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:37 am

I'm coming into this thread pretty late, but I think steelcity is right on the money. I grew up heavily into sports as well, and never fit the "nerd" description very well at all. I just happen to like computers and tech, and enjoy discussing said topics with those more knowledgeable than myself.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am

It isn't just a matter of anecdotes where we individually know/are people who are "nerds" and yet involved in sport or how there are notable people out there in "non-nerd" professions with advanced professional degrees and/or sophisticated interests.

No, this is actually a starkly evident thing in statistics: educational attainment is HIGHLY correlated not just with positive health outcomes but also physical activity.

In other words, for every year of education you have, you are *MUCH* more likely to live longer and be more physically active.

The stereotype of the reclusive "nerd" who shuns the sun and the company of others is basically an outright lie: it isn't true.

More-over, people involved in sport during their education typically achieve higher levels of educational attainment. Again, the entire idea is simply false.

These are recurrent findings, I mean, I shouldn't have to cite them. Use the words I just did and google and you'll be *buried* in NIH links, just to start.

----

So where does the idea come from? Well, I won't get into too much depth, but let's say you are a maybe-not-so-healthy and maybe-not-so-educated individual who is cut off from most regular society. To you, a computer becomes a gateway into a community or communities you would otherwise have no access to. And, behold, everyone you talk to via computer *also* has a computer!

And since computers are talismans of intelligence, and since everyone you've met in a similar circumstance as yourself equally has one and is grateful for it (otherwise, what would they do? Watch TV like a pleb?), huh, you all must be a cut above.

right?

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:18 am

I played basketball and football growing up, still played bball well into my adulthood. I have season tickets to the Knicks, and am also a Giants and Yankees fan.

Also everyone is a candidate to be bullied, learn how to fight and don't be afraid to get hit and that sh*t dies down real fast. Most people are scared to get hit, show a bully you're ready to throw down, and 9 times out of 10 they back down. That 10th time will be a fight, go all in, and even if you lose you'll find that person developed respect for you. Bully types like to pick on easy targets, if you're gonna be a pain in the ass to them or make them look bad, they will go bother someone else.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:33 am

leor wrote:
Also everyone is a candidate to be bullied, learn how to fight and don't be afraid to get hit and that sh*t dies down real fast. Most people are scared to get hit, show a bully you're ready to throw down, and 9 times out of 10 they back down. That 10th time will be a fight, go all in, and even if you lose you'll find that person developed respect for you. Bully types like to pick on easy targets, if you're gonna be a pain in the ass to them or make them look bad, they will go bother someone else.

Yeah, I had something like that happen freshman year of high school. The class bully decided to target me, and would do random stupid sh*t like throw my books out the window. Eventually I lost it and took a swing at him. I got my ass kicked in the resulting melee, but he left me alone after that. And he was thereafter known in that class as "the a**hole who beat the crap out of the little Asian kid with glasses". Heh.

The vision in my right eye has been a little worse than in the left ever since. (Nothing that can't be corrected with the proper prescription, but the right lens is noticeably thicker.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am

just brew it! wrote:
The vision in my right eye has been a little worse than in the left ever since. (Nothing that can't be corrected with the proper prescription, but the right lens is noticeably thicker.)

Shot to the eye? Not cool.

I have a small scar on my face from when a kid smashed me in the face with a chunk of snow that had frozen into ice. That's pretty much the only artifact from my tussling days.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am

whm1974 wrote:
Bike cycle riding and jogging can provide plenty of exercise, and what is wrong with a gym using the exercise equipment?

Body Building is a sport. So according to you...

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
While you're posting, whm1974, you should probably make another one in the back porch. Something along the lines of "Nerd Don't Drink Alcohol, so JBI = ???". I mean if you're going to stereotype you may as well go all-in.

Have you been to college or work in tech?

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:07 pm

tfp wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
While you're posting, whm1974, you should probably make another one in the back porch. Something along the lines of "Nerd Don't Drink Alcohol, so JBI = ???". I mean if you're going to stereotype you may as well go all-in.

Yes and Yes, I was talking about stereotypes as popularized by Hollywood, not reality.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 pm

tfp wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Yes I have drunk alcohol before, and I yes I have to two years of college.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 pm

whm1974 wrote:

You really need to get to the TR BBQ. It'll help you dispel many erroneous notions.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

You really need to get to the TR BBQ. It'll help you dispel many erroneous notions.

Nothing would make me happier then seeing whm **** faced drunk.

Whm how much time do you spend dealing with people these days. I ask because I know what it feels like to be essentially isolated for years and the effect that has on your perception of society. There were a few time I noticed myself thinking weird things that I know are only the result of never socializing. I know you're on disability so I'm thinking you might have something similar going on but haven't done anything to keep it in check.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Nothing would make me happier then seeing whm **** faced drunk.

Whm how much time do you spend dealing with people these days. I ask because I know what it feels like to be essentially isolated for years and the effect that has on your perception of society. There were a few time I noticed myself thinking weird things that I know are only the result of never socializing. I know you're on disability so I'm thinking you might have something similar going on but haven't done anything to keep it in check.

Yes I know I need to get out more.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Yes I know I need to get out more.

The good news in our case is that our next high school reunion is only four years away. (I'm thinking of skipping it)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm

i never go to reunions i just look people up on facebook if i want to see what they're up to. I guess that doesn't help for the people you forget about.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:59 pm

I haven't gone to any of mine. I didn't really care for most of those people then, not sure why I'd want a reunion with them now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm

I never went to mine.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 pm

I went to one of them. Maybe the 10 year one?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I went to one of them. Maybe the 10 year one?

High school was annoying enough the first time through. Not too interested in reliving it for even one evening.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
i never go to reunions i just look people up on facebook if i want to see what they're up to. I guess that doesn't help for the people you forget about.

I'm of the opinion that if I didn't bother to stay in touch with you in the past, there was probably a reason ;-)

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:49 pm

leor wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

I'm of the opinion that if I didn't bother to stay in touch with you in the past, there was probably a reason ;-)

The one person I bothered to stay in touch with from high school is the one I'm married to. :lol: (Yeah, high school sweethearts. Isn't that cute? *gag*)

She hasn't kept in touch with anyone else from high school either, but still talks to her best friend from elementary school occasionally.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm still friends with my main "group" of friends from high school. A few of us went to college together too, so that helped. I have been to zero reunion type functions. Though it sounds like I enjoyed high school more than most of you in this thread.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:06 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I'm still friends with my main "group" of friends from high school. A few of us went to college together too, so that helped. I have been to zero reunion type functions. Though it sounds like I enjoyed high school more than most of you in this thread.

Actually, now that you mention that, I guess I misspoke slightly. There are two people from my high school that my wife and I do still see occasionally, but the odd thing is that I never really knew them in high school; we became friends in college. So I think of them as "friends from college", even though we also went to the same high school. We used to get together every few months, but that has tapered off over the years. Last time we all saw each other was at a funeral for a mutual friend. Unfortunately, that is only going to become more common going forward, as we're all in our 50s now.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:58 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:

Yep the thing about a lot of nerds is we often nerd out about a variety of subjects. Sometimes those subjects are the more stereotypical nerd things like comic books, anime, fantasy/sci-fi novels, d&d, etc. Quite often they aren't though. I used to skateboard a lot when I was younger, did lots of partying/drugs in college, and I still watch UFC and boxing sometimes (also MotoGP and F1). I don't think any of that stuff is typically considered "nerdy" other than F1 maybe. At the same time my biggest interests are music, computers, video games (less and less these days..), plus lots of science stuff especially psychology, neuroscience, and astronomy.

TLDR: People are complicated, not one dimensional TV characters.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Homebrewing is surprisingly geeky if you take it beyond the "Mr. Beer" kit stage to the next level. Math (recipe formulation), chemistry (mineral profile of your brewing water and how to tweak it, and how enzymes in the grain mash work), microbiology (sanitation, how environmental factors affect the behavior of yeast, and how those effects vary between yeast strains), and sensory evaluation (identifying desirable and undesirable flavors in the finished product, and their probable causes).

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Homebrewing is surprisingly geeky if you take it beyond the "Mr. Beer" kit stage to the next level. Math (recipe formulation), chemistry (mineral profile of your brewing water and how to tweak it, and how enzymes in the grain mash work), microbiology (sanitation, how environmental factors affect the behavior of yeast, and how those effects vary between yeast strains), and sensory evaluation (identifying desirable and undesirable flavors in the finished product, and their probable causes).

Oh yes. Fellow home-brewer checking in. Although only in winter (summer now) and only ales and stouts as I lack the refrigeration tech for lagering. Some beers best drunk young like my cherry blonde which is good for up to a month carrying some of the delicious fresh cherry flavour and sweetness before that attenuates. Others best drunk old like a big stout maturing and consolidating its dark malts.

But we're talking sports? Got my tickets to the annual test cricket match sorted. Up to five days of sheer suspense and strategic delight.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd like to learn how to brew light lagers when i'm done on the road, since those are my favorite kind of beer.
When drunk.....