Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: Help me understand, why is there a sport section?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Homebrewing is surprisingly geeky if you take it beyond the "Mr. Beer" kit stage to the next level. Math (recipe formulation), chemistry (mineral profile of your brewing water and how to tweak it, and how enzymes in the grain mash work), microbiology (sanitation, how environmental factors affect the behavior of yeast, and how those effects vary between yeast strains), and sensory evaluation (identifying desirable and undesirable flavors in the finished product, and their probable causes).

Well I like dark beers the last time I drank them.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Pancake wrote:
But we're talking sports?

It was just a response to travbrad listing "other interests".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm

tfp wrote:
Have you been to college or work in tech?

I've done those things. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I'm still friends with my main "group" of friends from high school. A few of us went to college together too, so that helped. I have been to zero reunion type functions. Though it sounds like I enjoyed high school more than most of you in this thread.

My aversion to Facebook has caused me to lose track of my high school friends.

Speaking only for myself, the idea of "friends forever" kind of wore off around the time my daughter was born. It was over before that—we were the last of my group to become parents and everyone else was busy, too—but unless you're involved in other activities with those people there just isn't time. Now I have friends from high school I still see but we have other things in common. Kids at the same school or extracurricular activities or whatever.

It kills me, though. They're good people. Or they were back then and I'm sure they still are now, and thinking about it now I miss them. Nobody's fault. Life just happens.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:55 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
My aversion to Facebook has caused me to lose track of my high school friends.

Speaking only for myself, the idea of "friends forever" kind of wore off around the time my daughter was born. It was over before that—we were the last of my group to become parents and everyone else was busy, too—but unless you're involved in other activities with those people there just isn't time. Now I have friends from high school I still see but we have other things in common. Kids at the same school or extracurricular activities or whatever.

It kills me, though. They're good people. Or they were back then and I'm sure they still are now, and thinking about it now I miss them. Nobody's fault. Life just happens.

Yeah, I'm much the same. The people I tend to hang out with these days are either people I work with (or have worked with within the past few years), or people from the homebrewing and/or beer judging community. One of the recent co-workers is also someone I went to college with, so that's basically the only person I've really kept in touch with from back then.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:59 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I'd like to learn how to brew light lagers when i'm done on the road, since those are my favorite kind of beer.

Turns out those are one of the more difficult styles to brew at home. Any technical flaws stick out like a sore thumb because there are no other strong flavors for them to hide behind. You also need a dedicated fridge to ferment in, since lagers are fermented at ~55F and aged near freezing.

Something like a blonde ale or wheat beer would be a lot easier to start with (no extra fridge needed since they can be fermented and aged at room temperature), if you like those... then if you decide home brewing is your thing you could make the additional investment in equipment and effort to do lagers.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 am

I like both of those too so I guess I could start with that.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

kekewons
Gerbil In Training

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:46 am

I would guess the OP has his answer by now, but in case not: There is obviously quite a lot of crossover between tech and sports--the wealth of sports games and simulations (and the use of the latter in the real world of sport) is a clear testament to that. Then too is the fact that many sports-minded people in real life are also quite capable, competent, and even comfortable with technology...which is why there is a sports section here. Need I continue?

I would also contend that "bullying" is considerably more prevalent inside sport than outside of it too.... Part and parcel of it really, and not just with regard to team sports. But it's also a part of life generally, and not just human life. Some creatures are just predisposed to want to fight.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm

idchafee might be one of the biggest sports fans I know. We still text each other sports stuff a few times a week.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am

kekewons wrote:
I would guess the OP has his answer by now, but in case not: There is obviously quite a lot of crossover between tech and sports--the wealth of sports games and simulations (and the use of the latter in the real world of sport) is a clear testament to that. Then too is the fact that many sports-minded people in real life are also quite capable, competent, and even comfortable with technology...which is why there is a sports section here. Need I continue?

I've found some new respect for whm1974 (and TR as a whole) - even back in the bad old days, none of my OPs would have gotten anywhere near 130 posts.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
kekewons wrote:

I've found some new respect for whm1974 (and TR as a whole) - even back in the bad old days, none of my OPs would have gotten anywhere near 130 posts.

The nature of whm1974 threads are to create useless banter using open-ended, sometimes mildly controversial topics which have no definitive answer and/or are solely a matter of opinion. They rack up the responses, but aren't meant to go anywhere or reach a conclusion.

Whm, I think you're whiffing on a (likely very successful) career in today's world of journalism. :P

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm

As I don't post much any more I'm happy I could direct this thread back towards alcohol before I slip back into the dark. :lol:

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm

leor wrote:
idchafee might be one of the biggest sports fans I know. We still text each other sports stuff a few times a week.

More during the NBA season. Mostly when the Bulls and Knicks are either really good or really bad. Who am I kidding, they're never really good.

I might blow whm1974's hard-wired mind here. I played baseball and volleyball in high school. Played basketball regularly until my early 30's, and still follow baseball (Cubs), basketball (Bulls) and football (Packers) very closely. I'm perhaps not as hard-core a nerd as many here, but I do work in IT so there's that. But then I played in band all the way through college (low brass 4lyfe yo), and I was in marching band all through high school. In fact, I missed the 1st week of baseball practice my freshman year because I was on the band trip. I played trombone in all the theater pit orchestras (theater kids have the BEST parties) and I made the State jazz band on the trombone my senior year. of high school Got a music scholarship to college, and played in several community bands both during college and after. Haven't played in a long while, but I'm sitting here at the dining room table looking over at my trombone in the corner. Maybe someday....

tl:dr: you can be all sorts of things at the same time, if you so choose. Some of the biggest jackwipes I've ever met were "nerds." Some of the other biggest jackwipes were not. And I've met fantastic people in all areas too.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Also if the Dolphins could kick Tom Brady in the ass one or two more times tonight, that would be spiffy
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 am

idchafee wrote:
Also if the Dolphins could kick Tom Brady in the ass one or two more times tonight, that would be spiffy

grats!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 am

Is this horse dead yet? I thought we thoroughly explained the purpose of TR Sports back on page 2...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:01 am

superjawes wrote:
Is this horse dead yet?

It's a whm thread, so no?

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:08 pm

In the interests of random posting here about sports (which I haven't followed in years), I've recently begun to watch the Vegas Golden Knights.

For a Ice Hockey brand-new expansion team based in one of the hottest cities in the country, there sure are doing well!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm

I've debated attending our local indoor football games; tickets are dirt cheap and I think my kids would enjoy a quarter or two before they got bored.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

kekewons
Gerbil In Training

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

@id: Basketball* was my game too up into my thirties (6'5 then, w/38" sleeves), but auto-racing has always been my primary interest in sport, I'm sure. Not necessarily F1 any more though--I'm more of a "historics" kinda guy, as with many other interests in life. So I spend a fair proportion of my time PC racing with sims like rFactor(1 and 2), Assetto Corsa, etc.... I've been racing online dating back to the arrival of the first really good road-racing sim, "Grand Prix Legends."

As might be imagined, we have a fair number of participants (like my league teammate) who have real-world racing experience too--this is one of the crossover areas I was referring to in my earlier post, and it's always a pleasant surprise to meet someone who has experience in both disciplines. I tend to ask a lot of questions of them, and most are happy to talk about most of it once the ice is broken. But not always, and some subjects there are off limits too (the death of a racing friend behind the wheel being a big one--both of the former Formula Atlantic racers I know have lost friends).

As you say, it takes all kinds to make a world, and some people who really could be the bully type if they wanted to (see footnote) often choose to go the other way instead.

And then there are the "trash talkers"....yeesh!

----

[* I used to play pickup ball matched up (head-to-head that is) against a couple of people who went on to NBA careers, against a gal too who played seven years of pro-ball in the EU...and for about six months against a former starting Super Bowl Linebacker (who's second sport in college was basketball). But he was so mild-mannered and quiet I didn't even find out who he was until the last night we played...and then realized I really should have figured it out--all the clues were there. :D ].

\

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Homebrewing is surprisingly geeky if you take it beyond the "Mr. Beer" kit stage to the next level. Math (recipe formulation), chemistry (mineral profile of your brewing water and how to tweak it, and how enzymes in the grain mash work), microbiology (sanitation, how environmental factors affect the behavior of yeast, and how those effects vary between yeast strains), and sensory evaluation (identifying desirable and undesirable flavors in the finished product, and their probable causes).

Will have to compare notes some time. I've been brewing for a year now and am playing a lot. My recent experimenting is my mineral profile of the mash water.
I brew ales almost exclusively and focus on porters and stouts which are my preferred styles.

Redocbew

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm

kekewons wrote:
But he was so mild-mannered and quiet I didn't even find out who he was until the last night we played...and then realized I really should have figured it out--all the clues were there. :D ].

The best trash talk is no talk at all. :P I tended to attract competitors while at the archery range. One day, this guy shows up and says "I think I can give you a run for your money today.". I had seen him there frequently, and given what I had seen I was not at all concerned. I didn't say much, and he quickly went down in flames clearly very confused and frustrated.

That's another thing I think most people don't realize when they think about the stereotypical alpha male who's "good at sports". Being an alpha male just means you think you'll be better than the next guy. Sometimes you are, and sometimes you aren't. It doesn't make you a jackass. Being a jackass makes you a jackass.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.