Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Russia gone from 2018 Winter Olympics

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Never thought the IOC would have the stones, but the Russian Olympic Committee has been banned from the 2018 Winter Games. There's a path for "clean" athletes to compete, but not under the Russian flag. They will instead compete under the name "Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)" and under the Olympic flag.

And yes, I harbor (all too likely vain) hopes that this can stay out of R&P.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Russia gone from 2018 Winter Olympics

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Interesting. I feel that not being allowed to go to the olympics is a great shame on them.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Interesting. I feel that not being allowed to go to the olympics is a great shame on them.

An article on ESPN says that the Russian pro hockey league, the KHL, won't let its players go to the Olympics (NHL had already decided to keep its players out a year or so ago) if they can't skate as Russia and under the Russian flag.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:08 pm

I can't help but feel like ousting a country from something like the olympics, which i consider to be a sort of multi national peace meeting, is a major insult. Maybe i have too high of an opinion of it as a world event.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I can't help but feel like ousting a country from something like the olympics, which i consider to be a sort of multi national peace meeting, is a major insult. Maybe i have too high of an opinion of it as a world event.

I think you're right about the insult, but the evidence that has been played on 60 minutes and so on is rather compelling in support of this. I think it is good that the IOC is providing a route for clean players to compete anyway.
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 pm

No flag and no anthem played if an OAR athlete wins. Definitely an interesting alternative to a blanket ban on Russian athletes. Given the statements made by Russian sports officials already, they definitely consider it a major insult. :P

Putin has spent serious cash building up Russia in international sports, so will be fun to see his official reaction and decision tomorrow on how he plans to handle it. He most assuredly will take it as a slap in the face, would be surprised if Putin didn't announce something retaliatory in response.

arunphilip
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:17 pm

Wow, that sends a strong message. Especially coming on the heels of 2014 that Russia themselves hosted.

It is good that the IOC has provided the provision of OAR, and it would be interesting to see if Russia's Olympic Committee actually allows their athletes to register via OAR, or tells them not to, by way of sending a response.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 pm

This is interesting, mostly because it's been a problem for decades. I guess the question is why the IOC decided to do something now?

My guess is that they were encouraged to go for it by someone.