Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: NFL 2018

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 pm

druidcent wrote:
Did the Chiefs and Rams forget their defenses in Mexico? I think they just grabbed some random people and stuffed them into the uniforms..

You might be right. I completely lost interest by halftime. Madden simulations aren’t my style.

superjawes
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Before we roll into Week 12 and the Thanksgiving games, I thought I'd do a checkup on my predictions from Week 1.

superjawes, in Week 1 wrote:
Season long storylines/predictions to watch include Andrew Luck's return. My Colts could have drafted one of the many QB's taken in the first round, but instead they traded down (twice), so my guess is that Luck is going to be fully recovered (physically) and it will be Coach Reich's job to keep him safe and fix that team's awful, awful defense.
The Colts have won 4 games straight and look like the best 5-5 team in the league. They have candidates for rookie of the year, and the O-line has given up zero (0) sacks in five (5) games. On top of that, Andrew Luck has thrown 3+ TD passes in 7 straight games. Feels good, man! :D

Remember Cleveland's 1-31 record over 2 years? That ends this year...I'm not saying they win the division (because getting through Pittsburgh AND Baltimore will be tough), but they win several (6 to 9) games. Any bets on when they win their first?
6 wins might be unlikely now, but they have won three (plus a tie), and they got their first win of the year in Week 3.

...I think the closest and/or most competitive division this year is the NFC North. Vikings? Good. Packers? Great when Aaron is healthy. Lions? Well, they've had one of the best QBs in the league, and now they have a new coach. Bears? Underrated. Their QB got the benefit of low expectations in his rookie season, and I think they'll have a decent all-around team.
This still looks like the most competitive division. The Packers clearly have some issues, and the Lions are a work in progress with a 4-6 record. Still, only 3 games separate #1 from #3. The surprise here is the Bears. I knew they were underrated, and their QB still needs some work, but that defense has been kicking ass and taking names. This team should make the playoffs for the fist time since 2011.

Keep an eye on the Giants. They were another team that was (should have been) better than their 2017 record, but now that they've dumped the terrible HC, this team should do better. I don't think they beat the Eagles in the NFC East, but they might make a WC spot...
NEVERMIND :oops:

Moving West, I see a ton of people hyped about the Rams, but I said all last year that they were overrated, bolstered by low expectations and playing in a weak division. This year, the Cards look better, and the 49ers are due for a breakout now that they have their QB troubles handled. The 49ers will win the NFC West.
No one could have expected Jimmy G to get hurt, and Arizona has shown some STUNNINGLY bad management for their rookie QB. Also, credit where credit is due. The Rams have improved this year. They will still face a tough postseason, but you have to respect the way they are playing right now.

Finally...this is going to be a crazy QB year. Besides Luck and Rodgers coming off injury, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, and Case Keenum all have new jobs. Brees is coming up on the end of his career. Wentz is due back some time this year, and his backup/temporary starter is SB LII's MVP. And after all that, we have a ton of rookie/sophomore QBs with expectations.
Well, Luck is looking good (see above) and Rodgers is Rodgers (held back by the rest of his team). Wentz is struggling, but so are the rest of the Eagles. Keenum wasn't the cure-all for the Broncos, nor was Cousins for the Vikings (I am not surprised by either). Then there's Alex Smith...I feel REALLY bad for him right now :-?

And then there's Patrick Mahomes, lighting up his competition. The low scoring games for this team were in Week 4 (27 @ Denver) and Week 10 (26 vs. Arizona). The Chiefs scored 40 and 51 points in their LOSSES. Alex Smith looked good in 2017, but now we know why he went to Washington.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:57 am

Week 12

Thanksgiving Day, 11/22
Chicago Bears at Detroit Lions
Washington Redskins at Dallas Cowboys
Atlanta Falcons at New Orleans Saints

Sunday 11/25
Cleveland Browns at Cincinnati Bengals
San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jacksonville Jaguars at Buffalo Bills
"Oakland" Raiders at Baltimore Ravens
Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers
New England Patriots at New York Jets
New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles
Arizona Cardinals at Los Angeles Chargers
Miami Dolphins at Indianapolis Colts
Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay Packers at Minnesota Vikings

Monday Night Football, 11/26
Tennessee Titans at Houston Texans

I don't think anyone is *technically* eliminated from the playoffs, so that does mean that games are still meaningful, and we've still got several good games lined up. This week I like the Saints at home against the ailing Falcons, I like the Ravens--Flacco or not--against Chucky's Raiders, and I like the Chargers in a bounce-back game against the Cardinals. Much safer picks than last week :lol:

Thanksgiving looks like a good day for football. The Bears are coming off a big divisional win, but now they have to play the dangerous Lions on the road. Washington will have their season decided in Dallas. Either they figure out the QB situation, or the Cowboys leap ahead. And despite the struggles for Atlanta, they are playing a divisional game, and they've still got Matt and Julio on the roster. That game has shootout potential. Actually, I only see one "bad" game this week, and that's the 49ers in Tampa. I like the Ravens at home, but they still NEED to win, as do the Eagles, Chargers and Steelers in their matchups. SNF and MNF for Week 11 are impossible to top, but Week 12 should still be really good, with key divisional games for the NFC North and AFC South.

Kick back, eat some turkey (or your protein of choice), and enjoy the holiday.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm

The Egg wrote:
druidcent wrote:
Did the Chiefs and Rams forget their defenses in Mexico? I think they just grabbed some random people and stuffed them into the uniforms..

You might be right. I completely lost interest by halftime. Madden simulations aren’t my style.

And other called it "exhilarating" and possibly "the future of football." Which would be in keeping with the other major pro sports, which have mostly de-emphasized defense and tweaked their rules to encourage higher-scoring games.

The Egg

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Romo is hands-down the best announcer on any network.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Week 12 - Results

Thanksgiving Day, 11/22
Chicago Bears 23 at Detroit Lions 16
Washington Redskins 23 at Dallas Cowboys 31
Atlanta Falcons 17 at New Orleans Saints 31

Sunday 11/25
Cleveland Browns 35 at Cincinnati Bengals 20
San Francisco 49ers 9 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27
Jacksonville Jaguars 21 at Buffalo Bills 24
"Oakland" Raiders 17 at Baltimore Ravens 34
Seattle Seahawks 30 at Carolina Panthers 27
New England Patriots 27 at New York Jets 13
New York Giants 22 at Philadelphia Eagles 25
Arizona Cardinals 10 at Los Angeles Chargers 45
Miami Dolphins 24 at Indianapolis Colts 27
Pittsburgh Steelers 17 at Denver Broncos 24

Sunday Night Football
Green Bay Packers 17 at Minnesota Vikings 24

Monday Night Football, 11/26
Tennessee Titans 17 at Houston Texans 34

I missed most of the Thanksgiving games, but how about them Bears, eh? Backup QB and they still secure division win on the road. That's a potent defense. Y'know, Denver is still a long shot to make the postseason, but a couple of spoiler wins in a row against other playoff-likely teams, and they could sneak in. If nothing else, they can still do damage to the Bengals next week, and they host the Chargers in week 17. I am still very happy with my Colts. Their streak of 0 sacks ends, but that was only 1 today. Also, Andrew Luck ties 2004 Peyton Manning for games in a row with 3+ TD passes.

SNF EDIT: With last night's loss, I think the Packers are effectively done for 2018, and hopefully this leads to the end of Mike McCarthy's career in Wisconsin.

MNF EDIT: well the Titans didn't do any favors for the Colts...at least they're still behind us.
Last edited by superjawes on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:59 pm

Even a team that is having such a terrible season that it is in the running for the first overall pick in the draft still isn't desperate enough to look the other way forever:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... en-foster/
Michael David Smith wrote:
Although Foster is a talented player, it’s hard to imagine any team will claim him on waivers, given the repeated off-field issues. His NFL career may be over.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:52 pm

2018 claims another coach as Jacksonville fire OC Hackett. The team is at 3-8 after losing 7 in a row.

TheEmrys

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:22 pm

I am really liking how good the Seahawks look. I could see them playing in the Divisional round.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Even a team that is having such a terrible season that it is in the running for the first overall pick in the draft still isn't desperate enough to look the other way forever:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... en-foster/
Michael David Smith wrote:
Although Foster is a talented player, it’s hard to imagine any team will claim him on waivers, given the repeated off-field issues. His NFL career may be over.

About that...

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 am

Week 13

Thursday Night Football, 11/29
New Orleans Saints at Dallas Cowboys

Sunday 12/2
Baltimore Ravens at Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chicago Bears at New York Giants
Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins
Indianapolis Colts at Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns at Houston Texans
Denver Broncos at Cincinnati Bengals
Los Angeles Rams at Detroit Lions
Arizona Cardinals at Green Bay Packers
Kansas City Chiefs at "Oakland" Raiders
New York Jets at Tennessee Titans
San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings at New England Patriots

Sunday Night Football
Los Angeles Chargers at Pittsburgh Steelers

Monday Night Football, 12/3
Washington Redskins at Philadelphia Eagles.

I'm honestly surprised at how many picks I'm making this week, but with only 4 weeks left in the season, most of the narratives are set. Not all these picks are safe, but they are all in relevant/important games.

First, we've got the Saints. I normally go with the better offense in Thursday matchups (because defenses are tired on short weeks), and even though that doesn't apply this week (both played on Thanksgiving), I'll take the team whose won 10 straight. Moving to Sunday, I like the Colts and Broncos in games they NEED to win. It doesn't hurt that their opponents are trending in the wrong direction. The Packers need a win AND help to make the playoffs, but they're playing the Cardinals, in Green Bay, in December. The Bears and Chiefs don't have make-or-break games this week, but winning would give them extra padding to their division leads (plus, KC need wins to secure home field advantage).

There are still plenty of games to watch as teams begin the final stretch of the season, but the best matchups are probably Rams/Lions, Vikings/Patriots, and Chargers/Steelers. Honorable mention to MNF in Philadelphia, as the reigning champions may have a chance to tie records with the Cowboys.

The Egg

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm

^ Looking like they might hold Trubisky out another week. There's a good chance they'll win anyway, but I'd be slightly less confident in that pick.

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Doesn't shake my confidence at all. Sure, it's the kind of game the Giants tend to win during a terrible season, but the Bears have been winning with their defense, and they made Chase Daniel work last week. As long as they can limit Barkley, they'll easily handle the Giants and probably traumatize poor Eli with that pass rush.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:10 pm

Results of Week 13 (which has been brutal to my picks) are still coming, but 2018 has claimed another coach just hours after losing to the Cardinals. The Green Bay Packers have (finally?) parted ways with Mike McCarthy.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Week 13 - Results

Thursday Night Football, 11/29
New Orleans Saints 10 at Dallas Cowboys 13

Sunday 12/2
Baltimore Ravens 26 at Atlanta Falcons 16
Carolina Panthers 17 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24
Chicago Bears 27 at New York Giants 30
Buffalo Bills 17 at Miami Dolphins 21
Indianapolis Colts 0 at Jacksonville Jaguars 6
Cleveland Browns 13 at Houston Texans 29
Denver Broncos 24 at Cincinnati Bengals 10
Los Angeles Rams 30 at Detroit Lions 16
Arizona Cardinals 20 at Green Bay Packers 17
Kansas City Chiefs 40 at "Oakland" Raiders 33
New York Jets 22 at Tennessee Titans 26
San Francisco 49ers 16 at Seattle Seahawks 43
Minnesota Vikings 10 at New England Patriots 24

Sunday Night Football
Los Angeles Chargers 33 at Pittsburgh Steelers 30

Monday Night Football, 12/3
Washington Redskins 13 at Philadelphia Eagles 28

Oof...I got killed this week with my picks. Almost hurts more at how close some of those were, too.

SNF EDIT: Pittsburgh's loss puts them only half a win over the Baltimore Ravens. The NFC North could come down to the wire, as both teams have some challenges. The Steelers *should* beat the Raiders next week, but they still have games with New England and New Orleans after that. The Ravens are in a similar boat, with games against the Kansas City and LAC, plus a game against Tampa Bay, who (despite their record) have put up many, many yards this season. If that weren't enough, each team has a divisional week 17 game.

MNF EDIT: The Eagles live for another week while the loss of another QB should be the end of Washington's season.
Last edited by superjawes on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:06 pm

If you're looking for safer picks next week, how about the Los Angeles Chargers over the Cincinatti Bengals or the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Oakland Tankers?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
Congratulations to the Los Angeles Rams (11-1) for clinching the NFC West title today. Jon Gruden's Oakland Tankers (2-10) and the injury-riddled San Francisco 49ers have (2-10) been eliminated from playoff contention. They're still vying for the #1 overall pick in the 2019 draft.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
If you're looking for safer picks next week, how about the Los Angeles Chargers over the Cincinatti Bengals or the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Oakland Tankers?
I don't pick the Steelers. Even against the "Oakland" "Tankers". They have a nasty habit of playing down to teams they *should* dominate. They're never a safe pick.

EDIT: the Steelers are basically the opposite of the New York Giants, who find miracles to beat better teams. :lol:

The Chargers, on the other hand, are legitimately good. Maybe a little overrated since some people have them as legit Super Bowl contenders (they aren't that), but they have been forged in fire, being in a division that has recently hosted Andy Reid, Pat Mahomes, Alex Smith, Peyton Manning, and most of 2015's #1 defense.

EDIT 2: [Just a general gesture toward Pittsburgh's 33-30 loss to LAC on SNF]

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The Butt Fumbler is now the backup QB for the 'Skins.
...and with yet another Redskins quarterback with an ugly leg fracture, Sanchez is now the only active QB that the Redskins have.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:45 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
The Butt Fumbler is now the backup QB for the 'Skins.
...and with yet another Redskins quarterback with an ugly leg fracture, Sanchez is now the only active QB that the Redskins have.

THAT Mark Sanchez? <looks thru the link> ... yup THAT Mark Sanchez. That's a name I haven't heard in a while.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 pm

On the bright side, Mark Sanchez can add a butt fumble recovery to his resume.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:06 am

What are the chances that your team will make the playoffs?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... 31e93b4360

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 am

Week 14

Thursday Night Football, 12/6
Jacksonville Jaguars at Tennessee Titans

Sunday 12/9
New York Jets at Buffalo Bills
New York Giants at Washington Redskins
New Orleans Saints at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins
Baltimore Ravens at Kansas City Chiefs
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans
Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers
Carolina Panthers at Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers
Cincinnati Bengals at Los Angeles Chargers
Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals
Pittsburgh Steelers at "Oakland" Raiders
Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas Cowboys

Sunday Night Football
Los Angeles Rams at Chicago Bears

Monday Night Football, 12/10
Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks

As far as picks go, Week 14 is a trap. The Steelers should annihilate the Raiders, but like I said after my Week 13 lashing, the Steelers have a nasty habit of playing down to their opponents. Beyond that, we've got divisional games that WILL be closer than some people think, even if the expected victor pulls out the W. I'm looking at you, Saints, Patriots, and Cowboys.

All that in mind, I am taking the few safer picks on the week. I like the rising Broncos over any bad team, I think the Bengals should just roll over and shoot for a top 10 draft pick giving the Chargers and easy win, and the Seahawks usually play well in prime time. Even against one of the better NFC teams (on paper), it's in Seattle and the 'Hawks are going in the right direction to secure a Wild Card spot.

Finally, we do have some really good and interesting games lined up. Obviously we expect Ravens/Chiefs, Rams/Bears, and Vikings/Seahawks to be good. You might also make some time for the Giants, who are in a weird position where they can steal the #6 seed if they win out (stranger things have happened). Keep an eye on Cleveland, too. An upset by could spoil the Panthers' season.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:40 am

superjawes wrote:
Results of Week 13 (which has been brutal to my picks) are still coming, but 2018 has claimed another coach just hours after losing to the Cardinals. The Green Bay Packers have (finally?) parted ways with Mike McCarthy.

Overdue, IMO. Having Aaron Rodgers has covered up McCarthy's pretty poor coaching decisions and some AWFUL drafting. Look at their roster, and tell me how their drafting has been the past 5-6 years. Putrid.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 pm

superjawes wrote:
Denver Broncos at San Francisco 49ers
RIGHT ON CUE >.<

I still like the Broncos in this matchup, but this is bad news for the offensively-impaired Broncos.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 am

Derrick Henry steamrolled the Jaguars last night, eliminating both Jacksonville and the Jets from the playoffs.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:29 pm

So.

That Mark Sanchez pickup is working out super well for Washington. Good thing they didn't want to take a chance on a dude that kneels for the national anthem.

UPDATE: Sanchez got pulled. Final stats: 6/14 - 38 yards - 0 TD - 2 INT - Sacked 5 times for 29 yards. Must be awesome to own a football team and make such a dumb decision and experience zero repercussions.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 pm

One last tidbit. 10.7 QBR today.

smh
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:41 pm

WOOOOOOOOW!!! The early window shows exactly why picks were a trap this week. The Patriots had the lead, but the Dolphins pull off a miracle lateral play for the walk-off TD. The Colts pull off a road win to snap Houston's win streak. Then the Chiefs have to go deep into OT to secure their spot in the playoffs. And we still have 6 games today!

BTW, losses by the Texans and Patriots helps to pad the Chiefs' lead in the AFC Playoff race.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Don't you think you're being a little hard on Mark Sanchez today?

I mean, his team is playing the Giants today. Giants!!! How can a normal human fight them? They don't allow slingshots in the NFL any more.

Against that juggernaut - the Giants already have 5 wins in this young season - Mark was merely being kind to his receivers by throwing the ball to the other team.
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Mark Sanchez has been off the couch and working for the Redskins for two weeks. Had Alex Smith and Colt McCoy not both suffered ugly leg fractures, the Redskins wouldn't be in this situation. Now they're stuck with the Butt Fumbler until the end of the season.

Meanwhile...

Gregg Williams again has a winning record (3-2-0 W-L-T = 0.600) as interim head coach of the Cleveland Browns after they beat the Carolina Panthers today. :o

The New Orleans Saints clinched the NFC South title with a win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In the AFC, the Kansas City Chiefs secured a playoff berth with their overtime win over the Baltimore Ravens. The Buffalo Bills joined the list of teams completely eliminated from playoff contention.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.