Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: NFL 2018

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 am

I hope Houston wins the Super Bowl. It really bothers me that JJ Watt might have the career hes had with no rings
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 pm

idchafee wrote:
I hope Houston wins the Super Bowl. It really bothers me that JJ Watt might have the career hes had with no rings

You could say exactly the same thing about Larry Fitzgerald.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:54 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
idchafee wrote:

Indeed, but Houston is still in it, so I'm rooting for them

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:32 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
idchafee wrote:

They're both good guys, but I can't feel too bad for guys who can wipe their a** with $100 bills. They'll be just fine. :lol:

superjawes
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Saturday, January 12
Kansas City
Luck vs Mahomes I
LET'S GO

As for Seahawks/Cowboys, not quite what I expected, but it really feels like a fluke injury to Janikowski is what did it. I guess the Seahawks angered the special teams gods.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:30 pm

superjawes wrote:
Safe (for now)
Baltimore Ravens - John Harbaugh: 10-6 in 2018 (AFC North Champions), 114-78 overall, Super Bowl Champion (XLVII)

...John Harbaugh is probably safe for a few years now. His has a young QB, and with the option to trade Flacco and the best defense of 2018, the Ravens continue to be dangerous.
That seat in Baltimore just got a little warm...not just because the Ravens lost, but how bad they looked and how little they adjusted after the first half. They went down by 20 in the second half, and it didn't even matter that Super Bowl XLVII's MVP was on the bench. Also, this team NEEDS a passing option to win games next season. The Chargers just shut down Lamar Jackson's offense, and now the entire league has the blueprint.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Kirk Cousins is not actually a better quarterback than Joe Montana:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ki ... er-rating/
FiveThirtyEight.com wrote:
A new all-time passer rating hierarchy, Career classic and adjusted passer ratings for qualified* NFL and AFL quarterbacks, 1950-2018
Player Last Year Old New
1 S. Young 1999 96.7 94.2
2 A. Rodgers 2018 103.1 92.5
3 J. Montana 1994 92.3 90.0
4 T. Brady 2018 97.6 87.2
5 P. Manning 2015 96.5 87.1
6 R. Staubach 1979 83.4 86.7
7 R. Wilson 2018 100.4 85.4
8 D. Brees 2018 97.7 85.4
9 T. Romo 2016 97.1 85.0
10 O. Graham 1955 78.2 84.7
11 K. Warner 2009 93.7 83.7
12 S. Jurgensen 1974 82.7 82.9
13 L. Dawson 1975 82.9 82.7
4 D. Marino 1999 86.4 81.4
15 K. Anderson 1986 81.9 81.2
16 F. Tarkenton 1978 80.4 80.7
17 B. Starr 1971 80.5 80.7
18 P. Rivers 2018 95.6 80.5
19 C. Pennington 2010 90.1 79.9
20 M. Ryan 2018 94.9 79.8
21 J. Garcia 2008 87.5 79.6
22 B. R’lisberger 2018 94.3 79.0
23 J. Unitas 1973 78.3 78.9
24 D. Fouts 1987 80.2 78.4
25 R. Gannon 2004 84.7 78.4
26 B. Griese 1980 77.1 78.3
27 N. Lomax 1988 82.7 78.1
28 F. Ryan 1970 78.0 78.0
29 B. Jones 1982 78.5 78.0
30 J. Kelly 1996 84.4 78.0
* Minimum 1,500 career pass attempts
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Wild Card Weekend - Results

Saturday
Indianapolis Colts 21 at Houston Texans 7
Seattle Seahawks 22 at Dallas Cowboys 24

Sunday
Los Angeles Chargers 23 at Baltimore Ravens 17
Philadelphia Eagles 16 at Chicago Bears 15

superjawes wrote:
The Eagles were hurt by injury since the end of last season, but they have remained composed for 17 weeks. If they win this game, I will formally anoint Saint Nicholas as Patron Saint of Underdogs. To be serious, though, the Bears are just a little bit of offense and/or experience from being Super Bowl caliber, and I expect this game to be really good.
Anointed he shall be. As for the Bears, they have nothing to be ashamed of from this season. Chicago just need to look forward, and they'll still put up good results.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm

AFC:
Indianapolis Colts +6 at Kansas City Chiefs - Saturday 4:35 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers +4½ at New England Patriots - Sunday 1:05 PM EST
NFC:
Dallas Cowboys +7 at Los Angeles Rams - Saturday 8:15 PM EST
Philadelphia Eagles +9 at New Orleans Saints - Sunday 4:40 PM EST
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 pm

In the immortal words of Chris Berman:

DOINK!!!
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:11 am

lol! :lol:

Makes me wonder what employment is going to look like for the Bear's kicker. :o

This NFL year has been weird. My pick from the beginning for the Superbowl was Chiefs-Saints.. but the Chiefs have been declining a bit, and it astounded me that the Cowboy's beat the Saints.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am

CScottG wrote:

He should be fine. At least, I would consider his job safe were I in charge of Bears' personnel. A few shots have emerged showing a slight deflection of the ball by a Philly defender.

Although, let's talk about Doug Pederson's timing. He called that timeout at the last possible moment, and as a result, Philly got to see the kick happen before the "official" kick happened, which makes me wonder...did he do that do the defenders could see the kick trajectory? If so, that is BRILLIANT.

CScottG wrote:
This NFL year has been weird. My pick from the beginning for the Superbowl was Chiefs-Saints.. but the Chiefs have been declining a bit, and it astounded me that the Cowboy's beat the Saints.
The Chiefs make it to the Super Bowl (or not) on Saturday. Andy Reid's biggest fault has been postseason performance, and he has a young, hot team coming to KC. If they prove they can learn, adjust, and win the big games, they'll be able to flip either New England or Los Angeles. As for the Saints, that Dallas loss was a fluke on the road. Their biggest strength is experience. They face a much harder test than KC, but it is doable. First they need to beat St. Nick and his Eagles, then they need to win their rematch against the Rams/Cowboys, and because Sean Payton and Drew Brees know what they are doing, I'd favor the Saints in either rematch.

In other Monday morning news, we got an explanation for that apparent fumble from last night. TLDR, it is in the rulebook. Since is was ruled incomplete and there was no clear recovery, they let the incomplete call stand. Watching it live, I said that was the right/fair call (without even reading the rulebook). If that official doesn't wave off the defenders, that ball gets attacked. Unfortunate that neither team got a shot at recovery, but at least it's the fairest possible option.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 am

Divisional Weekend

Saturday
Indianapolis Colts at Kansas City Chiefs
Dallas Cowboys at Los Angeles Rams

Sunday
Los Angeles Chargers at New England Patriots
Philadelphia Eagles at New Orleans Saints

To be clear, I think the Chiefs are/should be favorites over the Colts, but I will stand by my team until they're out. I expect a lot of points being scored in this one. For the second week in a row, I think the Sunday matchups are closer. The Chargers have a solid shot of knocking off the reigning AFC champs, but these are the games New England live for (barf). Eagles/Saints is my favorite matchup of the weekend. These are the teams that that find ways to beat the best opponents. I expect a lot of trick plays, moves, and countermoves.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:42 am

superjawes wrote:
CScottG wrote:

He should be fine. At least, I would consider his job safe were I in charge of Bears' personnel. A few shots have emerged showing a slight deflection of the ball by a Philly defender.

Deflection or not, he's had a number of those this season, and they weren't all deflections. At some point he's either going to fix that issue or start packing his bags. Which is harsh because he actually is a decent kicker... but it's a harsh league.

Although, let's talk about Doug Pederson's timing. He called that timeout at the last possible moment, and as a result, Philly got to see the kick happen before the "official" kick happened, which makes me wonder...did he do that do the defenders could see the kick trajectory? If so, that is BRILLIANT.

Eh, I dunno if I really buy that... I think it's more a matter of statistics; making two in a row is harder than making one.

In other Monday morning news, we got an explanation for that apparent fumble from last night. TLDR, it is in the rulebook. Since is was ruled incomplete and there was no clear recovery, they let the incomplete call stand. Watching it live, I said that was the right/fair call (without even reading the rulebook). If that official doesn't wave off the defenders, that ball gets attacked. Unfortunate that neither team got a shot at recovery, but at least it's the fairest possible option.

That's generous.

The ruling the officials made after their own screw-up was correct - but that neither negates nor excuses the fact that they screwed up. That was a catch - he caught the ball, took three steps with it after catching it - then fumbled. The ruling was that since neither team recovered the fumble, it is deemed incomplete - but the reason neither team recovered the fumble is that they were incorrectly waved off the ball.

What should have happened is that the play continue until it dawns on someone wearing a jersey that, gee wiz, there hasn't been a whistle blown; at which point someone jumps on the ball.

So... kudos to the officiating squad for knowing an obscure rule; but shame on them for the muck-up that led to needing to know it.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 am

cphite wrote:
That's generous.

The ruling the officials made after their own screw-up was correct - but that neither negates nor excuses the fact that they screwed up. That was a catch - he caught the ball, took three steps with it after catching it - then fumbled. The ruling was that since neither team recovered the fumble, it is deemed incomplete - but the reason neither team recovered the fumble is that they were incorrectly waved off the ball.

What should have happened is that the play continue until it dawns on someone wearing a jersey that, gee wiz, there hasn't been a whistle blown; at which point someone jumps on the ball.

So... kudos to the officiating squad for knowing an obscure rule; but shame on them for the muck-up that led to needing to know it.
To clarify, my "fair" comment is based on the initial error in ruling incomplete and calling the play dead. Since no one got a chance to recover, the only other way it could have gone was to give the Bears the completion, which would have been GROSS. Also, I'm 99% sure they were talking with New York to get the correct call, so it wasn't just leaving the Chicago team on the hook.

Big picture, officials need better training/procedures to let teams play through, but that's an offseason issue.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 pm

superjawes wrote:
cphite wrote:
That's generous.

To clarify, my "fair" comment is based on the initial error in ruling incomplete and calling the play dead. Since no one got a chance to recover, the only other way it could have gone was to give the Bears the completion, which would have been GROSS. Also, I'm 99% sure they were talking with New York to get the correct call, so it wasn't just leaving the Chicago team on the hook.

Big picture, officials need better training/procedures to let teams play through, but that's an offseason issue.

Yeah, I get that... was directing my statement more at the article - I felt like they kinda gloss over the fact that the officials blew the original call... it's great that they knew an obscure rule but they shouldn't have needed the obscure rule.

Then again, none of the players went after the ball either - which I find even more odd than the officials not knowing better. Players are taught to jump on the ball any time it's out - and certainly the receiver should have believed he'd had a catch (because he did!) and jumped for that ball as soon as it left his hands.

Oh, well... it was a hell of a game either way. Really had no stake in the results but kinda wished the Bears had pulled it out in the end. A double-doink field goal miss is a terrible way to end the season :D

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:46 pm

superjawes wrote:

CScottG wrote:

The Chiefs make it to the Super Bowl (or not) on Saturday. Andy Reid's biggest fault has been postseason performance, and he has a young, hot team coming to KC. If they prove they can learn, adjust, and win the big games, they'll be able to flip either New England or Los Angeles. As for the Saints, that Dallas loss was a fluke on the road. Their biggest strength is experience. They face a much harder test than KC, but it is doable. First they need to beat St. Nick and his Eagles, then they need to win their rematch against the Rams/Cowboys, and because Sean Payton and Drew Brees know what they are doing, I'd favor the Saints in either rematch.

Yeah, one of the best uses for a time-out I've ever seen ..mostly because it worked.

In my superbowl pick it was Saints for the win (before the performance drop that the Chiefs have shown).. but you are right - they have a tougher path to get that victory.

Favorite game for me this year was the Chiefs-Chargers game - it looked a bit more like College as far as taking offensive risks, and most paid-off. I know people are thinking it was a "defensless-wonder", but I don't think it was (though sure, more than a few defender screw-ups, but that's "par for the course").. it was just super-hero offense. Speaking of that, I really liked the recent Cowboy's game with the Quarterback's risks: a mobile Quarterback that isn't afraid to run the ball himself to get yardage just makes for a much more interesting game. :D (..In fact I think there needs to be more team structuring/plays for this because it's often hard to defend against that when it's a possibility.)

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:56 pm

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm

So here's a hypothetical. Lets say back in August you called up a "guy" and said

I'd like to bet that a kicker in the NFL will hit *7* uprights this year

What sort of odds do you think you would have gotten?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -bears-dc/
Sports talk radio hosts were all up in arms this evening because the new first-time head coaches are white.

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am

I try not to bemoan poor journalism...but this one is bad, and I feel obligated to correct this as a (the?) resident Colts fan. Writers don't do any research regarding the '1-0' flag outside Lucas Oil Stadium.

If you only read sports blurbs like this, you will have missed the part where this has been the Colts' mantra since starting 1-5. Straight from the coach: "Let's go 1-0 this week." Reich also paired this with "1% better every day", but there's no mention of that, either. If the Colts manage to beat the Chiefs, the flag won't be updated to 2-0.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:38 pm

superjawes wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Safe (for now)
Baltimore Ravens - John Harbaugh: 10-6 in 2018 (AFC North Champions), 114-78 overall, Super Bowl Champion (XLVII)

...John Harbaugh is probably safe for a few years now. His has a young QB, and with the option to trade Flacco and the best defense of 2018, the Ravens continue to be dangerous.
That seat in Baltimore just got a little warm...not just because the Ravens lost, but how bad they looked and how little they adjusted after the first half. They went down by 20 in the second half, and it didn't even matter that Super Bowl XLVII's MVP was on the bench. Also, this team NEEDS a passing option to win games next season. The Chargers just shut down Lamar Jackson's offense, and now the entire league has the blueprint.

Says the man who wasn't watching the game.

The Ravens O line has sucked at pass blocking the entire year. This only became clear once teams with pass-rush came along. Flacco can only do so much when he can't move in the pocket anymore, and he was taking longer that ever to find open receivers.

Lamar Jackson is a weakness to traditional pass rush, because you never know where he is going. So the Chargers dressed 7 dbs ad just 4 lineman, and decided to make sure someone always knew were Lamar was going.

This means the Ravens need to work on Lamar learning the system better (quick-outs only come with the practice reps he will get this off-season), and h e was getting valuable experience against some of the best pass rushes I've ever seen (and this is from a man who watches Suggs with a passion every week).

I don't think most defenses can dress SEVEN quality DBs to shoot down Lamar like the Chargers did (so this will not repeat itself for every team he faces), but if we want to make it back to the playoffs regularly, Lamar has to learn about blitzes (and call the appropriate audibles), and he has to learn where his receivers are.

After a half year of starting, there's no sign that Lamar has hit his ceiling. The fact that he scored two TDs in the 4th to make it a one score game was really impressive.

We DO need to gut the oline coach, because we need a better pass block. But this is the best offensive cooordinator we've had in years.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Oof! Dome team offenses outdoors in the snow in January...

superjawes
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Welp. That's the end of our season. What really killed us was missing tackles and short-range plays early. Sure, our offense struggled, but we never set our run game after giving up 14 quickly, and with T.Y. battling injury for weeks, we don't really have the depth for explosive deep routes. Very important note, though, most of the Chiefs' points were scored in the first half (the last TD was scored in garbage time). When this defense steps up, they look superb.

So how about the Chiefs? Well the Colts' receivers weren't great today, so don't start writing essays fawning over the Chiefs' defense. That being said, they still played well today, looking much better than 31/32. And with Mahomes under center, this Kansas City team is potent. They'll be tough to beat, and they deserve to host the AFC Championship.

What's next for the Colts? Mainly the draft. Our key weakness on defense is the (lack of) pass rush, and we need some depth in our receivers. We get an extra pick in the second round (via NYJ), but I think we could draft almost anyone and get really good results. This team finished the season strong, young guys should want to play in Indy next year, and I trust Frank Reich to set everyone on the right path. On to 2019!

chuckula

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm

superjawes wrote:
Welp. That's the end of our season. What really killed us was missing tackles and short-range plays early. Sure, our offense struggled, but we never set our run game after giving up 14 quickly, and with T.Y. battling injury for weeks, we don't really have the depth for explosive deep routes. Very important note, though, most of the Chiefs' points were scored in the first half (the last TD was scored in garbage time). When this defense steps up, they look superb.

So how about the Chiefs? Well the Colts' receivers weren't great today, so don't start writing essays fawning over the Chiefs' defense. That being said, they still played well today, looking much better than 31/32. And with Mahomes under center, this Kansas City team is potent. They'll be tough to beat, and they deserve to host the AFC Championship.

What's next for the Colts? Mainly the draft. Our key weakness on defense is the (lack of) pass rush, and we need some depth in our receivers. We get an extra pick in the second round (via NYJ), but I think we could draft almost anyone and get really good results. This team finished the season strong, young guys should want to play in Indy next year, and I trust Frank Reich to set everyone on the right path. On to 2019!

Holding the Chiefs to 31 was actually not bad considering what the Chiefs have been doing this season and the fact that a bad offensive day makes the Ds job harder too.
At least next week's game will *NOT* be played in New England no matter what!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

TheEmrys

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 pm

chuckula wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Holding the Chiefs to 31 was actually not bad considering what the Chiefs have been doing this season and the fact that a bad offensive day makes the Ds job harder too.
At least next week's game will *NOT* be played in New England no matter what!

I would be more impressed impressed with the Colts D if the Chiefs still had a solid running game.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:50 pm

..and that should give the Ram's a "lock".

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:41 pm

..well that's the Saint's first hurdle.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Divisional Weekend - Results

Saturday
Indianapolis Colts 13 at Kansas City Chiefs 31
Dallas Cowboys 22 at Los Angeles Rams 30

Sunday
Los Angeles Chargers 28 at New England Patriots 41
Philadelphia Eagles 14 at New Orleans Saints 20

Conference Championship Weekend includes the top two seeds from each side of the NFL. That Eagles/Saints game was a great match between coaches. The Saints got it done, but Philly continued to show their discipline and persistence in the face of adversity.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 pm

NFC Championship Game
Los Angeles Rams at New Orleans Saints

AFC Championship Game
New England Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs

I know it's early, and the picks are almost boring, but I'm going with the top teams in each conference. Both have stellar offenses, both teams stood up on defense this weekend, both teams are playing at home, and both teams have veteran coaches. One might be worried about Andy Reid, but this Chiefs team is different, and I think getting a chance to play the Patriots earlier this season will be a good boost.