Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: NFL 2018

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 am

At least I won't have to listen to Aaron Rodgers' mental gymnastics while he's trying to tell us that the packers still have a chance.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

The Egg wrote:
I'm pulling for Baltimore to get the last AFC wildcard. It's a shame the Colts can't get in as well; I think they're better than Houston despite the record.
Remaining opponents...

PIT (8-5-1): @NO, CIN
BAL (8-6): @LAC, CLE
CLE (6-7-1): CIN, @BAL
HOU (10-4): @PHI, JAX
TEN (8-6): WAS, IND
IND (8-6): NYG, @TEN

Feels like December. None of these games are guaranteed wins for anyone involved, and there are at least a dozen ways this works out. If Baltimore win both, and the Steelers lose one or more, Baltimore gets the AFC North. Then, if either Indy or Tennessee win out, Pittsburgh are out of the playoffs. You can also consider the possibility of Houston losing both, which opens the door to Indy taking the AFC South. Of course, Houston can win one and secure the division, too. I also threw in Cleveland, since they also have a (very slim) shot at a Wild Card.

If I haven't said it already, I am immensely happy with how this season has turned out for my Colts. Andrew Luck is looking like his old self, but with a respectable offensive line. We've also got running skill, and our defense is actually playing defense. I really like the Ballard/Reich combination. Ballard is focusing on drafting long-term talent because he knows that salary cap space can disappear quickly, and Reich brings a "play to win" attitude from Pederson/Philly.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:06 pm

It’s still very unlikely, but imagine the drama if the Cleveland Browns and the Baltimore Ravens end up playing for the last playoff spot in the final week of the season.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:56 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It’s still very unlikely, but imagine the drama if the Cleveland Browns and the Baltimore Ravens end up playing for the last playoff spot in the final week of the season.
They won't know if they're playing for that spot, at least not for sure. Just to highlight how unlikely it is, here's what needs to happen for the Browns to make the playoffs:

The Browns have to beat the Bengals and Ravens
AND the Dolphins have to lose to the Jaguars OR Bills
AND the Colts must lose to the Giants
AND the Titans must lose to Washington
AND the Ravens must lose to the Chargers
AND the Colts and Titans must tie in week 17

That's right...after having all the other pieces fall into place, the Browns can ONLY make the playoffs if two OTHER teams tie. (Teams playing for the same playoff spot and led by First-Year coaches with "play to win" attitudes.)
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 pm

superjawes wrote:
That's right...after having all the other pieces fall into place, the Browns can ONLY make the playoffs if two OTHER teams tie. (Teams playing for the same playoff spot and led by First-Year coaches with "play to win" attitudes.)
Browns fans

The Egg

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Browns fans

I knew what it was before I even clicked. :lol:

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:07 pm

The Egg wrote:
I knew what it was before I even clicked. :lol:
Yeah, it felt redundant even as I was posting it (where's the "obligatory" tag for BBCode?)
Though I guess this meme applies just as much, in my mind Browns fans are a lot more the former than the latter.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Peterman this season:
Record: 0-4
Cmp%: 54.3
TD: 1
INT: 7
Released by Bills Nov. 12
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 am

In Week 16, I'm headed to Indy to see my family for Christmas. That means 1) I'll be seeing my Colts take on the Giants Sunday. 2) Results might be a little late. Have happy holidays, see some family, eat some good food, and enjoy some football.

Week 16

Saturday, 12/22
Washington Redskins at Tennessee Titans
Baltimore Ravens at Los Angeles Chargers

Sunday 12/23
Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Dallas Cowboys
Minnesota Vikings at Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers at New York Jets
Houston Texans at Philadelphia Eagles
Atlanta Falcons at Carolina Panthers
New York Giants at Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars at Miami Dolphins
Los Angeles Rams at Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bear at San Francisco 49er
Pittsburgh Steelers at New Orleans Saints

Sunday Night Football
Kansas City Chiefs at Seattle Seahawks

Monday Night Football, 12/24
Denver Broncos at "Oakland" Raiders

It's coming down to the end of the season and time for teams to prove themselves. That's why I am picking the Saints and Chiefs again. The Saints seem like a solid pick, as I trust Brees and Payton (in New Orleans) much more than Roethlisberger and Tomlin (anywhere, really). The Chiefs are playing a dangerous game in Seattle in prime time, but it's really a chance for them to prove their capabilities. Rounding out picks are the Rams and Colts. Also not guaranteed wins for either team, but the Colts have shut down a couple of good runners this year and need to stay alive, and even with changes, I'm not expecting much out of the worst offense in the league.

Not going to Lucas Oil and need a game to watch? I like Ravens/Chargers on Saturday. It is the prime time game, so it should be good, but both teams are currently seeded, and a Baltimore loss opens some doors for other postseason hopefuls. I also like what Philly did on Sunday, so you might see what they can do to Houston. They desperately need a stay-alive win, and knocking off a division leader will put some wind in their sails. If those games don't do it for you, Steelers/Saints and Chiefs/Seahawks (SNF) will be good. Despite my picks, I do think these games will be close. If nothing else, they will be interesting.

The Egg

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:13 am

Seattle's homefield advantage is nearly as big as New Orleans. No way I'd be picking KC there, especially after the Seahawks were just humiliated.

My picks would be Tennessee, Cleveland, Indy

TheEmrys

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am

The Egg wrote:
Seattle's homefield advantage is nearly as big as New Orleans. No way I'd be picking KC there, especially after the Seahawks were just humiliated.

My picks would be Tennessee, Cleveland, Indy

If KC had any sort of a defense, I would agree with this pick. But the Seahawks tend to do well against teams that have strong offenses and very pedestrian defenses in big games.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:29 pm

I almost pulled the pick back, and I know Seattle should be clear favorites here, but I'm sticking to it. If nothing else, how KC handle themselves will determine their postseason trajectory. If they get stomped in Seattle, I'm not picking them for the rest of the year (postseason included).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:04 am

UberGerbil wrote:
superjawes wrote:
After having all the other pieces fall into place, the Browns can ONLY make the playoffs if two OTHER teams tie.
Browns fans
The Browns are now 5-2 under interim head coach Gregg "Bountygate" Williams and first-time play caller Freddie "Couldn't beat Florida in the SEC" Kitchens, but their 7-7-1 overall record won't get them into the playoffs.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were 7-2-1 with a solid lead in their division just five weeks ago. Now, assuming that the 8-6-1 Steelers beat the Cincinnati Bengals next week, they still need one of two improbable events to occur to even make the playoffs.
1) If the Cleveland Browns upset the Baltimore Ravens, then the Steelers will win the AFC North.
2) If the Ravens beat the Browns, then the Steelers will be the ones praying for an extremely unlikely tie between the Indianapolis Colts and the Tennessee Titans on Sunday night so that they can claim the final wildcard spot.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

TheEmrys

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:12 pm

For once, the last game of the season will be pretty meaningful for quite a few teams. Still love how the AFC West is still up for grabs with a first round bye on the line.

The Egg

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:16 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
For once, the last game of the season will be pretty meaningful for quite a few teams. Still love how the AFC West is still up for grabs with a first round bye on the line.

For the last few years they’ve been intentionally scheduling intra-division games for Week 17 in an effort to keep the games meaningful. It’s one of the few smart things the NFL has done recently, as even though you’re going to have a few duds between already-eliminated teams, you’re guaranteed to have a couple which are basically early playoff games.

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:11 am

Week 16 - Results

Saturday, 12/22
Washington Redskins 16 at Tennessee Titans 25
Baltimore Ravens 22 at Los Angeles Chargers 10

Sunday 12/23
Cincinnati Bengals 18 at Cleveland Browns 26
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20 at Dallas Cowboys 27
Minnesota Vikings 27 at Detroit Lions 9
Green Bay Packers 44 at New York Jets 38
Houston Texans 30 at Philadelphia Eagles 32
Atlanta Falcons 24 at Carolina Panthers 10
New York Giants 27 at Indianapolis Colts 28
Jacksonville Jaguars 17 at Miami Dolphins 7
Los Angeles Rams 31 at Arizona Cardinals 9
Chicago Bears 17 at San Francisco 49ers 9
Pittsburgh Steelers 28 at New Orleans Saints 31

Sunday Night Football
Kansas City Chiefs 31 at Seattle Seahawks 38

Monday Night Football, 12/24
Denver Broncos 14 at "Oakland" Raiders 28

Well that was a thrilling end in Indy! The Giants played well and kept a lead until the final minute, then the Colts finally pulled ahead by one, then they snagged an interception to secure the win. The number of the game was ZERO. As in, zero sacks of Eli Manning, and the explanation for why this game was so close (also why the Giants scored way more points than I expected). As I've been saying, Eli is not the root of the problem in New York Jersey, and his experience helped him find coverage while his O-line protected him. Also a stat worth noting: rookie Saquon Barkley was held to just 46 yards on 23 attempts, averaging 2 yards per carry.

Also also, pairing that win with Tennessee's win on Saturday flexed those teams into the final Sunday Night game of 2018, so let's get over to week 17 picks.

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 am

Week 17

No Playoff Teams OR No Changes to Seeding
Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills
Atlanta Falcons at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers
Carolina Panthers at New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants

At least One Playoff Contender
New York Jets at New England Patriots
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans
Philadelphia Eagles at Washington Redskins
Los Angeles Chargers at Denver Broncos
"Oakland" Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs
Chicago Bears at Minnesota Vikings
Cleveland Browns at Baltimore Ravens
San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Rams
Cincinnati Bengals at Pittsburgh Steelers
Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks

Sunday Night Football
Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans

So really, there are only four teams fighting for playoff spots. The Colts and Titans in the AFC, and the Vikings and Eagles in the NFC. The Steelers are technically in the hunt, but they need the Colts and Titans to tie in Nashville, so they are effectively out. I did pick the Saints in a meaningless game, but I think that this is a battle of 2nd string players on both sides, and it's a good game for Tayson Hill and/or Teddy Bridgewater to get some free experience. Philly need help to sneak back into the playoffs, but they are still improving week-to-week, and Washington are depleted at QB, so the Eagles will take this one. It doesn't really matter if Seattle are seeded #5 or #6, but I still like them at home against the league's worst offense.

That just leaves the finale pick in Nashville. I like the Colts in this one even if Mariota is healthy, in part because the run defense has consistently performed from Week 2 to Week 16. Unfortunately for the Titans, Mariota has been struggling with injury all season. This one should stay close to put on a show for everyone, but Indianapolis should ride out of Nashville with Frank Reich's first ticket to the playoffs as Head Coach.

Beyond some of those games mentioned, be sure to check in on the Browns/Ravens and Jaguars/Texans games. The Browns are the last obstacle between the Ravens and an AFC North Title, so while the Ravens *should* win, Cleveland can put one final touch on their 2018 turnaround. Also, while the Texans are locked in the playoffs, they need a win to ensure an AFC South title. A loss paired with a Colts win sends them to Indy for the Wild Card round.

If you aren't watching the "important" games, tune into the Packers game instead. Retired NFL punter turned professional funnyman Pat McAfee makes his NFL broadcasting debut in Green Bay. I am sure Vegas has betting for him dropping an F-bomb on live TV.

EDIT: meant to pick the Chiefs, too.
Last edited by superjawes on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Egg

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:13 am

Erm....why pick the Saints (who will probably be playing 3rd stringers), when there's so many other easy choices? New England and Houston will be playing for a bye, so they should be very motivated. KC will be playing for homefield (and the division too). The Steelers can still win the division if Baltimore loses, and the Chargers can still steal the division as well. Since all the meaningful games are scheduled for the 4:15ET slot, nobody will be able to adjust based on results (unless it's a blowout). I'd like to see both the Colts and Ravens get in, but I wouldn't bet on either game. Egg's picks:

Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills
Atlanta Falcons at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers
Carolina Panthers at New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants
New York Jets at New England Patriots
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans
Philadelphia Eagles at Washington Redskins
Los Angeles Chargers at Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs
Chicago Bears at Minnesota Vikings
Cleveland Browns at Baltimore Ravens
San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Rams
Cincinnati Bengals at Pittsburgh Steelers
Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks
Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 am

The Big Head Coach Update (Prior to any New Years Eve Firings)

First Year Results
Indianapolis Colts, Frank Reich - 9-6
Chicago Bears, Matt Nagy - 11-4, NFC North Champions
New York Giants, Pat Shurmur - 5-10 (DNQ for playoffs)
Tennessee Titans, Mike Vrabel - 9-6
Arizona Cardinals, Steve Wilks - 3-12 (DNQ for playoffs)
"Oakland" Raiders, Jon Gruden, 4-11 (DNQ for playoffs)
Detroit Lions, Matt Patricia, 5-10 (DNQ for playoffs)

We should have another first year head coach headed to the playoffs in 2018. We'll pin that down on 12/30

Fired Reminder
Green Bay Packers, (4-7-1) - Mike McCarthy
Cleveland Browns (2-5-1) - Hue Jackson

The Hot Seats
New York Jets (4-11, DNQ for playoffs) - Todd Bowles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-10, DNQ for playoffs) - Dirk Koetter
Cincinnati Bengals (6-9, DNQ for playoffs) - Marvin Lewis
Dallas Cowboys (9-6) - Jason Garrett
Denver Broncos (6-9, DNQ for playoffs) - Vance Joseph
Pittsburgh Steelers (8-6-1, likely will not qualify for playoffs) - Mike Tomlin
Arizona Cardinals (3-12, DNQ for playoffs) - Steve Wilks

I pulled some more chatter for this list. The additions include Mike Tomlin, who got a little too cute in New Orleans. The Steelers have lost 4 of their last 5 and likely tumbled out of the playoffs. Also added is Steve Wilks, who champions the worst offense and worst record in the NFL (as of Week 16, at least).

Probably/Possibly Safe, but Should be Hot Seats (My Take)
Jacksonville Jaguars (5-10, DNQ for playoffs) - Doug Marrone
"Oakland" Raiders (4-11, DNQ for playoffs) - Jon Gruden
New York Giants (5-10, DNQ for playoffs) - Pat Shurmur
Carolina Panthers (6-9) - Ron Rivera

Not much to update here except Jon Gruden...who can't even tank a season properly. His win in Oakland (possibly the last Raider game in Oakland) put the team ahead of the Cardinals AND the 49ers for 1st overall draft pick. You're already in rebuild mode! Let Vance Joseph have his job!

Shurmur might be safer this week, deserved or not, after protecting Eli Manning for 4 full quarters. Overall, this should shift responsibility to Dave Gettleman, who needs to draft protection for Eli Manning AND whoever replaces Eli Manning. Still, I would keep Shurmur on a short leash if only to keep the New York media in check.

superjawes
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 am

The Egg wrote:
Erm....why pick the Saints (who will probably be playing 3rd stringers), when there's so many other easy choices? New England and Houston will be playing for a bye, so they should be very motivated. KC will be playing for homefield (and the division too). The Steelers can still win the division if Baltimore loses, and the Chargers can still steal the division as well. Since all the meaningful games are scheduled for the 4:15ET slot, nobody will be able to adjust based on results (unless it's a blowout).
I think the Saints will still play to win, and like I said, some of those 3rd stringers could use easy experience. I won't pick New England because I hate that team, and I'm not going to pick Houston when the Jaguars can be such a perfect spoiler. The Steelers are a mess right now, so I wouldn't count on them to beat the Bengals. The Broncos beat the Chargers in Week 11, and this game is at Mile High.

In hindsight...yeah, I want to take the Chiefs. Not sure why I left them off to begin with.

TheEmrys

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 pm

superjawes wrote:
In hindsight...yeah, I want to take the Chiefs. Not sure why I left them off to begin with.

Because you said you wouldn't pick them if they lost to Seattle, who now look awfully good for a Giants/Ravens style wild card run.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:29 pm

That's how I'd read that, also, although I guess they didn't get "stomped" .

TheEmrys

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:58 am

Shobai wrote:
That's how I'd read that, also, although I guess they didn't get "stomped" .

Fair enough. Definitely wasn't a stomping.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Week 17 - Results

No Playoff Teams OR No Changes to Seeding
Miami Dolphins 17 at Buffalo Bills 42
Atlanta Falcons 33 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers 32
Detroit Lions 31 at Green Bay Packers 0
Carolina Panthers 33 at New Orleans Saints 14
Dallas Cowboys 36 at New York Giants 35

At least One Playoff Contender
New York Jets 3 at New England Patriots 38
Jacksonville Jaguars 3 at Houston Texans 20
Philadelphia Eagles 24 at Washington Redskins 0
Los Angeles Chargers 23 at Denver Broncos 9
"Oakland" Raiders 3 at Kansas City Chiefs 35
Chicago Bears 24 at Minnesota Vikings 10
Cleveland Browns 24 at Baltimore Ravens 26
San Francisco 49ers 32 at Los Angeles Rams 48
Cincinnati Bengals 13 at Pittsburgh Steelers 16
Arizona Cardinals 24 at Seattle Seahawks 27

Sunday Night Football
Indianapolis Colts 33 at Tennessee Titans 17

Well...okay, I don't agree with resting that hard, but I recognize that the Saints were a bad pick. Good on Teddy B for getting his first TD pass since 2015, though.

But we did have plenty of drama this afternoon! The Bears top the Vikings, and pairing that with an Eagles victory sends the reigning champions back to the playoffs while the other NFC finalists stay home in Minneapolis. The Cardinals tried to bump themselves out of the #1 overall pick, but Seattle wins in the final seconds. The Texans lock up the AFC South, but they will likely be hosting another AFC South team next week. The Steelers got their win today...but the Browns fall short and Baltimore win the AFC North. The Steelers technically have a path to a Wild Card game, but it requires a highly unlikely tie in the game of the week.

You like records? Pat Mahomes threw his 50th TD pass of the season, matching campaigns of other greats. At the same time, Baker Mayfield threw his 27th, which is the most by a rookie QB.

At least one coach was fired today, but I'll save that post for tomorrow, when we'll likely see a few more fall.

EDIT: A bit sloppy, but still a big win to get into the playoffs for the first time since the 2014 season. No matter what happens next, this has been a great season for my Colts.

AFC Playoff Teams
1. Kansas City Chiefs (12-4)
2. New England Patriots (11-5)
3. Houston Texans (11-5)
4. Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
5. Los Angeles Chargers (12-4)
6. Indianapolis Colts (10-6)

NFC Playoff Teams
1. New Orleans Saints (13-3)
2. Los Angeles Rams (13-3)
3. Chicago Bears (12-4)
4. Dallas Cowboys (10-6)
5. Seattle Seahawks (10-6)
6. Philadelphia Eagles (9-7)
Last edited by superjawes on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Holy cow, that Browns@Ravens game was way too close!

Any guesses on which teams are going to bid on Flacco? :D
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

The Egg

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:24 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:

I had a feeling it would be. The Browns are a team on the rise. Only game that surprised me was Dallas, who had absolutely nothing to play for. Well, that, and the Packers getting shut out by Detroit. I’m starting to wonder if the Bears should have laid down so they could play the Vikings again next week. I can’t believe how uninspired that team played in a win-or-die game.

Congrats to superjawes Lucky Charms on defeating the Flaming Thumbtacks. I expect them to win next week at Houston as well.

superjawes
Topic Author

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:41 pm

The Egg wrote:
MileageMayVary wrote:

I had a feeling it would be. The Browns are a team on the rise. Only game that surprised me was Dallas, who had absolutely nothing to play for. Well, that, and the Packers getting shut out by Detroit. I’m starting to wonder if the Bears should have laid down so they could play the Vikings again next week. I can’t believe how uninspired that team played in a win-or-die game.

Congrats to superjawes Lucky Charms on defeating the Flaming Thumbtacks. I expect them to win next week at Houston as well.

I don't want to get out the tinfoil hat, but I have a feeling that Aaron Rodgers chose to leave that game with his "concussion". I couldn't really blame him, either...

As for the Bears, facing Philly is definitely scary, but I would still take the injury-plagued champions over a divisional rival. As bad as Minnesota played, they would have had a week to review the tape and put on a better performance. Putting them down in Minneapolis was the right call, IMO.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 pm

The End of Regular Season Head Coach Update

First Year Results
Indianapolis Colts, Frank Reich: 10-6, Wild Card Berth
Chicago Bears, Matt Nagy: 11-4, NFC North Champions
New York Giants, Pat Shurmur: 5-10 (DNQ for playoffs)
Tennessee Titans, Mike Vrabel: 9-7 (DNQ for playoffs)
Arizona Cardinals, Steve Wilks: 3-12 (DNQ for playoffs), FIRED
"Oakland" Raiders, Jon Gruden: 4-11 (DNQ for playoffs)
Detroit Lions, Matt Patricia: 6-10 (DNQ for playoffs)

Fired
Green Bay Packers - Mike McCarthy: 4-7-1 in 2018 (fired mid-season), 135-85-2 overall (including postseason), Super Bowl Champion (XLV)
Cleveland Browns - Hue Jackson: 2-5-1 in 2018 (fired mid-season), 3-36-1 with Browns, 11-44-1 overall (2011 in OAK)

New York Jets - Todd Bowles: 4-12 in 2018, 24-40 overall, zero playoff appearances
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dirk Koetter: 5-11 in 2018, 19-29 overall, zero playoff appearances
Cincinnati Bengals - Marvin Lewis: 6-10 in 2018, 131-129-3 overall, ZERO playoff wins (7 appearances)
Denver Broncos - Vance Joseph: 6-10 in 2018, 11-21 overall, zero playoff appearances
Arizona Cardinals - Steve Wilks: 3-12 in his only season, #1 overall pick for 2019 draft
Miami Dolphins - Adam Gase: 7-9 in 2018, 23-26 overall, one playoff appearance (zero wins)

Safe (for now)
Baltimore Ravens - John Harbaugh: 10-6 in 2018 (AFC North Champions), 114-77 overall, Super Bowl Champion (XLVII)
Jacksonville Jaguars - Doug Marrone: 5-11 in 2018, 33-34 overall
Carolina Panthers - Ron Rivera: 7-9 in 2018, 73-60-1 overall, NFC Champion (2015)
Pittsburgh Steelers - Mike Tomlin: 9-6-1 in 2018, 131-71-1 overall, Super Bowl Champion (XLIII)
Atlanta Falcons - Dan Quinn: 7-9 in 2018, 39-30 overall, NFC Champion (2016)
Minnesota Vikings - Mike Zimmer: 8-7-1 in 2018, 48-33-1 overall

Okay, I think most of the big firings are done, at least from a head coaching standpoint, and this is where we stand. We've got quite the bunch, don't we? Steve Wilks only got one season, but finishing worst in the league punched his ticket out of Phoenix. Then we have the opposite end of the spectrum in Cincinnati, where the Bengals finally let Marvin Lewis go after 16 seasons. Koetter and Gase don't have the worst records, and I think weak QBs did more to affect said records, but it is what it is. Bowles was an obvious firing. Vance Joseph? I don't know if he's good or bad, but it doesn't matter when the problem is Elway (and I will keep saying this until Denver catch on). The Broncos are basically doomed to enter rebuild mode because they have had zero stability since winning Super Bowl 50.

On our safe list, we have a few coaches who need to post great results in 2019. The Jaguars, Falcons, Panthers, and Vikings have all shown flashes of greatness, but they have little to show for it. Look for these teams to shuffle coaching staff in the offseason and keep an eye on their 2019 performances. John Harbaugh is probably safe for a few years now. His has a young QB, and with the option to trade Flacco and the best defense of 2018, the Ravens continue to be dangerous.

That leaves Mike Tomlin...I'm not sure what's going to happen in Pittsburgh. They still have a ton of talent, but they're one of the least consistent teams in the league. On top of that, the years are catching up to Big Ben, which means a new franchise QB will be needed. Soon. This team needs a lot of work in the offseason. Not so much for 2019, but for 2020 onward. They need to make their plans for long-term success, and I hope Tomlin gets to be a part of that.

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Wild Card Weekend

Saturday
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans
Seattle Seahawks at Dallas Cowboys

Sunday
Los Angeles Chargers at Baltimore Ravens
Philadelphia Eagles at Chicago Bears

Pretty good bunch of games this weekend. I think the weakest could be Seahawks/Cowboys, as I think Dallas greatly benefited from a depleted NFC East while the Seahawks are the best they've been since 2014, which is why I pick them to win. Colts/Texans should be a lot closer because that is a divisional matchup, which can easily spell disaster for either team. Still, the Colts are moving in the right direction and are one of the most complete teams in the NFL right now, so I'll stick with picking my Colts for the third week in a row.

Sunday's games are definitely the better matchups (not that Saturday is bad). The Ravens are hosting a rematch, but it's in Baltimore, and the Ravens defense is the best in the league. I expect a closer result, but overall I still expect Baltimore to come out on top. Now the match of Wild Card Weekend is probably Eagles/Bears. The Eagles were hurt by injury since the end of last season, but they have remained composed for 17 weeks. If they win this game, I will formally anoint Saint Nicholas as Patron Saint of Underdogs. To be serious, though, the Bears are just a little bit of offense and/or experience from being Super Bowl caliber, and I expect this game to be really good.

The Egg

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 am

Saturday
Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans
Seattle Seahawks at Dallas Cowboys

Sunday
Los Angeles Chargers at Baltimore Ravens
Philadelphia Eagles at Chicago Bears

I'm much more confident in the Saturday games. The Ravens in particular have a very green QB, and the Chargers also just recently faced him. It's been proven that west coast teams are at a disadvantage when they have to play an early game on the east coast though, so I think that swings the pendulum very slightly in Baltimore's favor. Were this in LA, I'd take the Chargers for sure. Still might change that pick.

I also still don't know if it was the right decision for Chicago to beat the Vikings. Right now the Eagles are clearly the better of the two choices, even if they're less familiar with their opponent. I think the Bears defense at Soldier Field will be too much either way, but it won't be an easy dispatch, particularly with how terrible the officiating has been.