Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NFL 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 am

Normally I would prefer to save this until Week 1 is in sight, but with several big trades and Free Agent signings under way, it makes more sense to start now.

While many people will be focused on the dumpster fire that is Steelers management (losing Brown and Bell), as a Colts fan I'm more focused on Nick Foles heading to Jacksonville. Foles is a good QB, and he improves the Jaguars, but he's not going to "fix" the Jaguars. The team (and NFL media) were quick to single out Bortles as the weak spot, but the reality is that Jacksonville had one good year when half of the AFC South starting QBs were injured. Glad Nick got paid, but we're looking at a #3 finish (at best) from this team.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: NFL 2019

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm

What is Dave Gettleman doing, and why didn't he do it last year?
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -disaster/

Everyone seems to be jumping on the Browns bandwagon now.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/di ... ontenders/

Here's Bill Barnwell's evaluation of every major off-season signing and trade:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2615 ... gning-move
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 am

OBJ to the Browns sounds like a great day for the Dawg Pound.

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Everyone seems to be jumping on the Browns bandwagon now.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/di ... ontenders/
"Did the Giants Just Make the Browns Super Bowl Contenders?"

No. Everyone calm down and remember that the Browns are still the Browns. I'm sympathetic for Cleveland, but I still expect Baker to slide a bit in 2019, and I don't see the Browns beating Indianapolis, Houston, Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, or Los Angeles (C) in January. Beating two or three of those teams? In a row? Not happening just yet.

That being said, if they stay the course and continue to improve Baker Mayfield and his supporting cast...a Super Bowl appearance in a couple years seems fairly likely. OBJ is still young, so pairing him with a young QB is a recipe for magic. Then you add in a solid defense, some additional offensive weapons, and a crumbling AFC North, and you get a team that could string together a few playoff appearances.

Then again, the Browns are still the Browns. All of my positive speculation is based on this team sticking with their core personnel for more than 18 months.

MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm

I was wondering why the Ravens let Weddle go. Now that part is all clear. Earl is an upgrade, younger, and after the $22M this year and the $32M guaranteed, it gets cheaper for Baltimore on the backend. Ravens still have some linebackers to fill out, last I checked.

Seahawks resigning Mychal Kendricks means KJ Wright is almostly certainly available, which was pretty certain anyway. Seahawks still need some cornerback and safety competition going on, by training camp at the latest. Only feel really good about Bradley McDougald. Shaq Griffin, Tre Flowers, Tedric Thompson, and Akeem King need to seriously up their games, especially without Justin Coleman (Lions).

edit: looks like KJ will stay with Seattle.

superjawes, right on.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:53 am

Shall we spoil this story now?

Here's what's going to happen...the Dolphins will go on an early run in 2019. Florida teams ALWAYS outperform at home in September, and Fitzpatrick's first few starts of a season are his best games. Heck, they might even blow out a "good" team at home, leading to sports media believing in the Fitzmagick again. But then they crash. Hard. Fitz has a 3+ INT game (or two), he'll get benched, and the Dolphins will sputter out of playoff contention by early December.

The dude seems perfectly likeable, but I've seen this story before.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:22 am

The Dolphins now have the original "FitzMagic" and the official one.
i7-9700K, H100i v2, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518