Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: NFL 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 am

Yeah, I'm 100% behind full-time officials. At the bare minimum they should make referees full time. That would ensure that every crew is being led by someone doing it as a career. Hopefully this is just a short-term thing. 2019 is the last year of the officiating CBA, and this move is clearly a direct result of that.

As for League revenue, I think they have options to maintain current levels. Their DirecTV deal needs to DIAF so they can replace it with a dish-free streaming option. I would buy in if they made it streamable and cut the price to $100 for the season. And even then, I don't need every single game for that price. I really just want prime time and all of my team's games. Maybe it won't be exactly 1:1, but I suspect many more people would sign on for that deal, offsetting the "loss" of making it more affordable.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: NFL 2019

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 am

superjawes wrote:
As for League revenue, I think they have options to maintain current levels. Their DirecTV deal needs to DIAF so they can replace it with a dish-free streaming option. I would buy in if they made it streamable and cut the price to $100 for the season. And even then, I don't need every single game for that price. I really just want prime time and all of my team's games. Maybe it won't be exactly 1:1, but I suspect many more people would sign on for that deal, offsetting the "loss" of making it more affordable.

This Wikipedia article is a good read if you've got the time, but the portion I linked gets to the meat of it. Sunday Ticket is just one piece of the pie, though yes, the area with the most potential for growth IMO. If you include Sunday Ticket, the NFL's current network contracts look to be about $7.025b assuming my math is correct.

In all likelihood, DirectTV ($1.500) and ESPN ($1.750) will not renew after their contracts, or will re-negotiate for much lower, possibly non-exclusive agreements. That would put $3.250b, or roughly 46% of the NFL's current income up in the air within 3 years. The three traditional networks also have contracts up within that time period, but I don't know much about their financial outlooks. I would expect them to be somewhat more stable, but I could be way off.