Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Captain Ned

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 10:56 am
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper
Contact:

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:32 pm

I was at the Rose Bowl game yesterday. Ahh... what a satisfying and unsatisfying game all in one. Happy my Trojans won, but wish it were against a different team. Just think if the SC receivers actually had a good game (too many dropped passes)... the score could have been uglier.

I wish Hawaii would have given Georgia a better game. Oh well. I'm happy Hawaii got to go to a big BCS game though. The big money payout for going to a BCS bowl is great for them and their conference.

Florida stinks. :P The Heisman curse lives on! :wink:
 
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7562
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location
Contact:

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:22 am

So what is it like $50 to sponsor a bowl game?

SAN DIEGO COUNTY CREDIT UNION POINSETTIA BOWL


:roll:

I also like all the 6-7 teams that made it to a bowl game. :x
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
 
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:36 am

West Virginia is looking like a real good team, or maybe Stoops can't get his OU teams geared up for the bowl games.It's to bad WVU lost to Pitt because I'd like to have seen them play for the whole shebang.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
 
danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4411
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:09 pm
Location: Indonesia/Nebraska/Wisconsin

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:22 am

rogue426 wrote:
West Virginia is looking like a real good team, or maybe Stoops can't get his OU teams geared up for the bowl games.It's to bad WVU lost to Pitt because I'd like to have seen them play for the whole shebang.

I didnt get to see that game.. but the score suprised me.
OK has been having trouble in bowl games though.. games they should win. same deal last year.

However.. maybe WV was better than I gave them credit for. Hard to really tell without seeing the game.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.
 
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:32 am

danny e. wrote:
rogue426 wrote:
West Virginia is looking like a real good team, or maybe Stoops can't get his OU teams geared up for the bowl games.It's to bad WVU lost to Pitt because I'd like to have seen them play for the whole shebang.

I didnt get to see that game.. but the score suprised me.
OK has been having trouble in bowl games though.. games they should win. same deal last year.

However.. maybe WV was better than I gave them credit for. Hard to really tell without seeing the game.


WVU was pretty dominant throughout the game.Kansas surprised me as well beating VT.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,

EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
 
idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author
Posts: 13933
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:45 am

In this college football season, there are no surprises. I fully expect LSU and Ohio State to play to a 25OT tie.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:35 am

Yeah, the game was a little disappointing. Michigan just brought their A game and we didn't play at 100% (not going to make any excuses, we just didn't play that well).
Hawaii was disappointing. We play them next year, so hopefully they're not too lost without Brennan. The back-up QB did through the sole touchdown :wink:
 
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:31 am

My pick for the championship is LSU.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,

EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Great game so far, LSU just tied it at 10 - 10. Some really good plays on both offense and defense by both teams.

EDIT: okay, 24-10 LSU with 4 minutes left in the first half. OSU hasn't looked so hot this quarter.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
Smurfer2
Gerbil
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:24 am

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 pm

I hope LSU can pull it out. Still moving the ball well against the country's "best" defense... :D
 
idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author
Posts: 13933
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:30 am

I'm a Big 10 fan. At the moment, the Big Ten is a fraud. We have one team that could even compete outside the conference and even that team (OSU) routinely gets trashed by the better teams from the SEC.

I'm bummed. My favorite conference blows.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
 
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7562
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: , location
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:47 am

idchafee wrote:
I'm a Big 10 fan. At the moment, the Big Ten is a fraud. We have one team that could even compete outside the conference and even that team (OSU) routinely gets trashed by the better teams from the SEC.

I'm bummed. My favorite conference blows.


Michigan won. :D
Image
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:19 am

PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:
I'm a Big 10 fan. At the moment, the Big Ten is a fraud. We have one team that could even compete outside the conference and even that team (OSU) routinely gets trashed by the better teams from the SEC.

I'm bummed. My favorite conference blows.


Michigan won. :D

It's true, they did. OSU looked like it didn't stack up very well, although they did better than they did last year :lol:
 
ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 4:20 am
Location: A Buckeye stuck in an unholy land of Gator fans

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:48 am

All the personal foul penalties really hurt. I really thought they had turned the game back their way when they forced LSU to punt, but that roughing the kicker penalty just killed OSU. If they score there, it's 24-17 and things look a lot brighter.

At least we're still routinely beating that school from up north, but these BCS championship losses really suck. Still, making the championship 3 out of the last 7 seasons is a pretty good accomplishment, as is the best record in college football since 2005. The only losses the last 3 years have been against 3 eventual national champions, a Penn State team that finished in the top five and ..... Illinois. One of those is really out of place!
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!
 
idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author
Posts: 13933
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:54 am

Its easy to win games against also-rans like Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern, etc. The Big Ten is just inferior right now, and any Big Ten team that comes out to play teams from conferences like the SEC or the Big 12 just seems like they get manhandled.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
 
mattsteg
Gerbil God
Posts: 15778
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

idchafee wrote:
Its easy to win games against also-rans like Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern, etc. The Big Ten is just inferior right now, and any Big Ten team that comes out to play teams from conferences like the SEC or the Big 12 just seems like they get manhandled.
Hooray Michigan?
...
 
idchafee
Gold subscriber
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author
Posts: 13933
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:40 pm

mattsteg wrote:
idchafee wrote:
Its easy to win games against also-rans like Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern, etc. The Big Ten is just inferior right now, and any Big Ten team that comes out to play teams from conferences like the SEC or the Big 12 just seems like they get manhandled.
Hooray Michigan?


http://www.appstate.edu/

'nuff said.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
 
SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Everything goes in cycles. Every conference will have strong periods and weak periods. Everybody can't be the best every year. Somebody has to win every game.

For an OSU team that wasn't supposed to do much of anything this year, finishing #2 isn't bad.

Last nights game wasn't bad. Nothing like last years choke-fest. LSU won it. They played a great game. OSU didn't choke, they were just out played. If they hadn't had so many penalties, things might have been different, or maybe not. Who knows.

Losing the national championship game doesn't mean OSU sucks. It just means they finish #2.

-SF
"Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you would not have been notified."
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 21401
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:23 pm

I'd rate USC and Georgia higher than OSU. I'd rate them above us this season though.
 
rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:37 am

ifittakesforever wrote:
All the personal foul penalties really hurt. I really thought they had turned the game back their way when they forced LSU to punt, but that roughing the kicker penalty just killed OSU. If they score there, it's 24-17 and things look a lot brighter.

At least we're still routinely beating that school from up north, but these BCS championship losses really suck. Still, making the championship 3 out of the last 7 seasons is a pretty good accomplishment, as is the best record in college football since 2005. The only losses the last 3 years have been against 3 eventual national champions, a Penn State team that finished in the top five and ..... Illinois. One of those is really out of place!



That sort of reminds me of the early 90's Buffalo Bills.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,

EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B
 
The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:11 am
Location: Louisiana

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:08 am

I agree with Sly, you don't make it to the title game by being a bad team. OSU has a dominant program. They have not been able to pull the win in the title game in the last couple of years, but to even get to the title game two years in a row is something special. That's cold comfort for OSU fans, I know.

In the early 90s under Curly Hallman, I can remember a string of years when LSU went 4-7, 3-8, and even one year when I think we went 2-9. Those were dark days. We had plenty of 7-4 years after that under Dinardo, which seemed great at the time. When Saban came, he took the program to a place it had not been in 50 years.

College football does go in cycles. I'm sure in a few years LSU will have 7-4 seasons. Look at FSU. Or Miami. Those were the OSUs and LSUs back in the early 1990s.

But I have to say, these are golden years for LSU fans! GO TIGERS 8)
I wish I had gone to med school.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest