Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: TR Fantasy Baseball 2008

Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:59 pm

I really did enjoy that recap almost as much as seeing the Cubs win the World Series.

Oh wait. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:39 am

The recap is coming. I have 4 of the 10 teams done, and hope to get the rest today during this lame-ass phone conference.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:48 pm

YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:26 pm

The only thing special about TheRiot (from a fantasy standpoint at least) is his education level. And you're kinda right, the save is one of the most overrated stats ever. Next year you should replace it with a K/BB ratio or maybe just BB as a "lower is better" stat. That might cause a problem if you get a bunch of middle relief people on a roster simply because they dont' throw too many innings...

...speaking of which - you could use an even more irrelevant stat, like the Hold, and let all the Bob Howries and Dan Wheelers of the world get onto somebody's roster. :lol:

I guess I'd go with K/BB ratio if it's available.

I was getting really irritated with my team towards the end there, and not just because Ankiel and Carpenter were late-season busts...my pitching staff as a whole just kept getting lit up and my offensive players started tossing salads.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

gerbilspy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I really did enjoy that recap almost as much as seeing the Cubs win the World Series.

Oh wait. :lol:

And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...And wait...and wait...
Not retired anymore

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:54 pm

I'll freely admit that I got lucky beyond my ken here. My past baseball seasons are 6th and 10th (10-team leagues).

I did notice, though, in the recaps that I was pretty much the only one to keep all of the bench slots with the batters and carry just 7 pitchers. Looking at the season stats my batters took 3 of 5 categories and were second in a 4th (steals were mid-pack), whereas I still won 2 of 5 pitching categories (ERA & WHIP) with just 7 hurlers. I wonder if carrying too many "average" pitchers hurts more than it helps (in having someone able to go every night)?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:17 pm

might be on to something, Ned. Might be something to look at next year.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:22 am

Its not a bad strategy Ned - I mean, you only need to win 6 categories a week in an H2H league to win the matchup. The balance is to be competitive in Ws, Ks, and saves, because otherwise you'd need to be assured of winning 6/7 of the remaining categories (which is difficult to do). The additional risk is that one anomalous pitching outing has a larger effect (like when an RP gives up 3 runs without getting an out, or when a starter gives up 5 runs in 1 inning) due to the low total number of innings pitched...and even high priced starters/relievers get lit up from time to time.