Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Turkina
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

February 14th and something is in the air...

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Baseball! Yes thats right, pitchers and catchers reported to *spring* training.
Lots of movement of the aforementioned catchers and (especially) pitchers.
For those of you who dont follow baseball news in the offseason...Johan Santana (LHP, multiple time Cy Young winner) is now a Met, in exchange for a boatload of prospects. The deal renders the Twins a non-issue for next season, while making the Mets NL favorites. Perhaps overshadowed by Santana's greatness, Danny Haren and Erik Bedard were also on the move. Haren joins Santana in migrating to the NL, joining the babybacks (Diamondbacks) team that surprised many last year, and may be a team of Destiny this season (Destiny in this case meaning making it to the NLCS where they will lose to the mets). Bedard moved from Baltimore to Seattle, which places him in a slightly less competitive division and a more pitcher friendly ballpark (SAFECO field). Questions about his health however remain, after he missed significant time at the end of last season, and ended up starting only 28 games (although he still finished third in the AL in strikeouts).
Some aces are also on the comeback trail, joining Mark Prior (who will healthy when Duke Nukem Forever is released). Pedro Martinez looks to join Santana atop the mets rotation, and (I think) has a decent change of being a top tier pitcher once again. Across the league, Jason Schmidt has been working hard in the offseason and seems to think his recovery from arthroscopic shoulder surgery is going well. If his velocity is back to '05 or even '06 levels, he could be very effective pitching in Chavez Ravine. Fransisco Liriano could be a bright spot in the Twins rotation, recovering from (I believe) Tommy John surgery. Escobar and Schilling are already hurt, the former out until midseason, and the latter out perhaps for the rest of his natural life.
I think thats all the news of merit, though Im sure Im overlooking some moves.
Should be an interesting season for sure

~Turkina

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Re: February 14th and something is in the air...

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm

I am eager to see if the Phillies can get themselves back into the playoffs. If they can hold off the Mets and Jimmy Rollins has another spectacular season, it should be an excellent baseball season.

....and I now have Verizon FIOS, so I get comcast sportsnet and the cw in HD. (I'm not sure about other areas but for me it seems 150/162 games are on these two channels)
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Bonds is still unemployed
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Turkina wrote:
I think thats all the news of merit, though Im sure Im overlooking some moves.

Um yes you did, how about 'the' biggest move of the off season with the tigers getting Caberra and Willis from the Marlins. If everyone is healthy your are going to have a lineup with an overall career average over .300

Not to mention one of the deepest rotations in baseball. About the only question mark is how good is the middle relief going to be.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 pm

I was going to say my wifes legs are in the air but I am out of town. So unless her girlfriend comes over wont be anything in the air at my house tonight

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:31 pm

idchafee wrote:
Bonds is still unemployed

I'm so happy about that I could just about ****. This could be the best year ever with him out of a job and probably nobody wanting to go near cLemons for $20M for 4 months of work.

The D'Backs are going to win the West and maybe go all the way to the World Series with Haren added to the rotation. Trading him and Kiko Calero for Mark Mulder just about got Jockety lynched in STL. I expect (*ugh*) Chicago to win the Central, and the Mets to never mentally recover from the collapse they had last September (yeah right, they'll win the East as expected). Either SD or Philly will win the wild card.

There's a whole other league but they don't even let all the players bat for themselves, so it's not really *baseball* that they play. z-man is right in that the Tigers' acquisitions are a big deal, but not the biggest news of the offseason.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm curious to how everyone here "watches" baseball.

My father likes to turn it on and he does stuff while watching the game.
My one boss is a die hard red sox fan and watches as much as she can.
I know a few friends who get 99% of their baseball fix via espn recaps.

Personally, I will watch an inning or two every other game, since I am too busy to be able to sit down and watch an entire game.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:11 pm

I don't. It's slow, and filled with fakes. Wrestling is cleaner :lol:

In honesty I just find it a terrible sport, but one of the best to go TO, it's cheap and lots of talk time.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 pm

z-man wrote:
Um yes you did, how about 'the' biggest move of the off season with the tigers getting Caberra and Willis from the Marlins. If everyone is healthy your are going to have a lineup with an overall career average over .300

Sorry, I meant pitcher/catcher related specifically...though I did overlook Willis, I am not sure how much of a contributor he will be. He is coming off a bad season, and plunging into a higher level of competition. Although since a main part of his game is deception, maybe he'll be successful. I really like the guy on a personal note...I just think he is out of his depth sometimes.
DerFunkenstein wrote:
There's a whole other league but they don't even let all the players bat for themselves, so it's not really *baseball* that they play.

The game evolves. The AL has evolved into the dominant league. The NL will be assimilated. Okay, probably not (especially given the recent trend of top pitching moving into/staying in the NL)

~Turkina

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 am

Turkina wrote:
Sorry, I meant pitcher/catcher related specifically...though I did overlook Willis, I am not sure how much of a contributor he will be. He is coming off a bad season, and plunging into a higher level of competition. Although since a main part of his game is deception, maybe he'll be successful. I really like the guy on a personal note...I just think he is out of his depth sometimes.

I don't think so. Personally his bad season had a lot to do with a bad team that he was on. I still thought he pitched well, but didn't get the help he needed. And I am not looking for him to be a lights out ace. He adds to a deep rotation and if he does well will make them even deeper. I'd much rather have 5 guys who pitch really well then 1 or 2 aces and wonder about the next 3.