Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Turkina
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Salary cap

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-redsox-ownersspeak&prov=ap&type=lgns
I am a yankees fan, so I think the whole notion of a salary cap is bunk to begin with...and I find it especially amusing that the owner of Red Sox is calling for one (its like the two richest kids on the block arguing). I also highly dispute the notion that "competitive balance" has anything at all to do with a team's payroll - we have some of the best "competitive balance" in recent memory, and there is still a huge disparity in team payroll.
But I think a cap system should include the following provisions:
Teams are required to spend X% *more* than what they receive in revenue sharing (50%? 100%? 200%?). This would establish a floor for team payroll and ensure that teams aren't just pocketing money distributed by the league which is supposed to go towards improving "competitive balance"
Players drafted by an organization, or who have only worn that organization's major league uniform, should *not* be counted towards the cap. It doesn't make any sense to penalize an organization which happened to develop a group of superstars by forcing them out of town because their cap numbers don't work. Teams should be encouraged to keep their young stars...it's really good for everyone (fans, players, owners).

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Re: Salary cap

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 am

I'm all for a salary cap if it brings down the cost of tickets....which I'm sure it won't.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 am

Yeah, huge payroll doesn't always translate into good team performance, which calls the whole idea of salary caps into question anyway.

And I agree about ticket cost--it's ridiculous what it costs just to get into a game these days. Buuuut lotsa people still go, so prices reflect that. Still can't take a family of four and buy food for less than $150 at Wrigley ($200 would be easy to spend on the whole trip).

At the same time, nothing's quite as fun as watching the Cardinals kick the Cubs' ass in person:-) The Cards have never lost when I've been at a game; even last year when StL was sucking majorly they still won 12-3 at the game I went to.
GO CARDINALS!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 am

I tend to agree, I don't see how a salary cap will introduce any sort of competitive balance. Look at sports with caps in place - all the salary caps in the world didn't prevent the Lions from going 0-16, for example.

Regardless of a top-limit cap, I like Turkina's idea for a salary "floor", to force teams like the Marlins and the Pirates to reinvest the money they get in revenue sharing into the team they field with the hopes of forcing them to be more competitive and who knows...maybe people will actually go to their games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:58 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Regardless of a top-limit cap, I like Turkina's idea for a salary "floor", to force teams like the Marlins and the Pirates to reinvest the money they get in revenue sharing into the team they field with the hopes of forcing them to be more competitive and who knows...maybe people will actually go to their games.

Yes. Teams like the Marlins, the Pirates, the Royals, etc are much more of an issue than the Yankees & Red Sox. They get $ from the league already and it goes right in their pocket. Hello, that's not what revenue sharing is supposed to be for!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!