Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: The Tech Report forums got a big upgrade

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Any news about if we will get some form of indicator in the actual thread on posts that are unread on the light theme just as already exists on the dark team.

Actually seeing that indicator would be nice when scrolling through a thread.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:41 pm

We've forwarded a feature request to the author, though we can't make any promises :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Thank you, if there is a request, there is at least a chance :wink:

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:54 pm

(Sorry in advance if these are already mentioned)

Is there a way to have threads I posted previously in specially marked as was the case on the previous forum?

Second issue, all the paragraph breaks I add to my posts end up removed, surely I can't be the only one getting that? Did just realize it only occurs when quoting other posts in my reply. (Using Chrome)

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Dark theme has a bit of a bulge on the circle if you have posted in the thread.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:08 pm

notfred wrote:

Heh... I hadn't even noticed that!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:10 am

just brew it! wrote:
notfred wrote:

For those still looking, it's at roughly 4 o'clock.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Is there a way to have threads I posted previously in specially marked as was the case on the previous forum?

Noted. We'll see if this easily doable but we're all pretty busy now.

Second issue, all the paragraph breaks I add to my posts end up removed, surely I can't be the only one getting that? Did just realize it only occurs when quoting other posts in my reply. (Using Chrome)

Assuming you're talking about the graphical post editor, it looks like we're going to disable it, as we've collected reports from multiple users about bugs with it.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:06 pm

morphine wrote:
Assuming you're talking about the graphical post editor, it looks like we're going to disable it, as we've collected reports from multiple users about bugs with it.

Here's a handy trick:  Click on the first icon at the top left of the text editing window.  In the Canvas theme, this looks like white lines of text on a black sheet of paper.  This takes you to text mode.  Edit to your heart's content.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Oh I know, it's just that the problems are too many and too widespread to keep the editor.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
notfred wrote:

For those still looking, it's at roughly 4 o'clock.

Took me a while to notice that little bubble. :o

BTW, is the 3-levels nested quote tags limit still in effect?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:53 pm

I have no idea. Go ahead and try.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:09 pm

I just tested it. It automatically removes any quotations past the third one, but will let you post it.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Kougar

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:06 am

Dunno when it started, but I don't think we need to be so precise to show the time of day people joined the forums on... it's causing text wrapping problems.   :wink:

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:04 am

Minor quibble, and I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not. But the "forum notifications" button is also directly adjacent to the logout button. Maybe it's just me, but there have been a number of occasions where I've accidentally clicked to logout when checking said notifications. Maybe changing the order of the icons would be better?

The Egg

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Kougar wrote:
Dunno when it started, but I don't think we need to be so precise to show the time of day people joined the forums on... it's causing text wrapping problems.   :wink:

I've often thought the same thing, but shrugged. Just the year would be enough, or at most the year and month. :P

Shouefref
Gerbil

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:05 am

The Tech Report looks dead to me.
It's a pity. It has been my primary source of information about pc's for years.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:03 pm

Shouefref wrote:

Personally I do think that whoever owns Tech Report should just simply sell it to those who desire a proper tech site and Forum...

DrCR
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 am

whm1974 wrote:
Shouefref wrote:

Personally I do think that whoever owns Tech Report should just simply sell it to those who desire a proper tech site and Forum...

If a known, established, trusted member of the TR community decided to purchase it, I'd be willing to put money towards it i.e. kickstarter or the like. I wonder how many others would? This is under the presumption the new owners realize their investment did not go according to plan and are willing to sell for pennies on the dollar.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 am

DrCR wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Shouefref wrote:

If a known, established, trusted member of the TR community decided to purchase it, I'd be willing to put money towards it i.e. kickstarter or the like. I wonder how many others would? This is under the presumption the new owners realize their investment did not go according to plan and are willing to sell for pennies on the dollar.

I wonder why they purchased the Site to begin with if they were not planning on Running it Properly? Who is the owner anyway?

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 pm

whm1974 wrote:
DrCR wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I wonder why they purchased the Site to begin with if they were not planning on Running it Properly? Who is the owner anyway?

They have never introduced themselves....
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Shouefref
Gerbil

Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:56 am

I think things went down when one of the original founders died during a sporting event. He did some spectacular but dangerous sport, miscalculated and smashed to his death mid-flight during a descent. Because of that, the Tech Report lost maybe it's biggest motor.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Shouefref wrote:
I think things went down when one of the original founders died during a sporting event. He did some spectacular but dangerous sport, miscalculated and smashed to his death mid-flight during a descent. Because of that, the Tech Report lost maybe it's biggest motor.

What?

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:18 pm

tfp wrote:
Shouefref wrote:

What?

The man who died was Jordan Drake's brother, and Jordan was TR's podcast host for many years before and after that event, but he is not one of the founders.

https://techreport.com/review/14107/the-tr-podcast-episode-1/
https://techreport.com/news/26275/sad-news-and-a-podcast-postponement/

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Things went downhill because banner ad revenues dried up as pretty much everything moved to YouTube. <-- a bit of an oversimplification, but mostly sums it up

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Oh wow. I missed that post when it happened.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
Things went downhill because banner ad revenues dried up as pretty much everything moved to YouTube. <-- a bit of an oversimplification, but mostly sums it up

While the viewership of young demographics prefer flashy videos over boring, old charts and text that outline the data/results. It is a irrevocable paradigm shift that has happened several types over the Internet's existence.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:43 pm

DrCR wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Shouefref wrote:

I lightly investigated several possibilities July 2019 when the sh....i mean when it went to hell in a handbag. My conclusion: The end result is always that the owner, no matter how dedicated and enthusiastic, will lose money.

Could this place conceivably survive as a knowledge-rich forum, run as cheaply as possible and with the help of donations/subscriptions? As much as it pains me to say it, probably not.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Shouefref
Gerbil

Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:50 am

Krogoth wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

While the viewership of young demographics prefer flashy videos over boring, old charts and text that outline the data/results. It is a irrevocable paradigm shift that has happened several types over the Internet's existence.

MIght be true, but nevertheless a text is better for in-depth reviews and information. I watch a lot of IT video's too, but it's really only good for a first impression, not for really detailed information.
Also: video's are more time-consuming then articles, because it's more difficult to skip things.
There is certainly an added value to text in comparison with video.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:44 pm

You're preaching to the choir here. But what you and I want does not necessarily reflect what sells.