Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Wajo
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:56 pm

NCF?
Intel Core i7 3770K / 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 / Intel 520 180GB SSD / WD 2TB HDD / Zotac GTX 1060 6GB / Corsair TX650 V2 PSU / Asus Xonar DG

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:00 pm

Wajo wrote:
NCF?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.a ... ring=exact

Doesn't clue me in either as to what he means by that....
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Non-Cursing-Forum?
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Wajo wrote:
NCF?

Nazi Content Filter
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:14 pm

f*ck Sh*t

Can't people do this, if they wanted to get their idea across? would this be considered trying to work around the filter or something?

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Yes, that's considered working around the filter. Don't do it.

The idea is that the TR Forum Management doesn't want a poster to "get the point across".
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Kevin wrote:
The idea is that the TR Forum Management doesn't want a poster to "get the point across".

Then stuff like just having the first letter followed by asterisks is a no-go too, right?

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:30 am

Vrock wrote:
Then stuff like just having the first letter followed by asterisks is a no-go too, right?

Think so but you guys should allow it. There are lots of 4 letter words which are profane

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:39 am

Testing out this word filter -

**REMOVED**

EDIT: Fix up the word filter. These work as you can see.

**EDIT BY MOD: See post below. -Kevin**

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:46 am

Obviously you didn't read my first post or the rest of the thread. I'm not looking for help testing all possible combinations of the filtered words and I certainly can't make the filter catch everything either. If people type what you did, then that falls under "working around the filter intentionally" and will be dealt with accordingly.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:22 am

Since Ragnar Dan apparently couldn't be bothered, "sucks balls" may not be profane, but it's certainly not family friendly. Certainly not something I'd want my (heretofore non-existent) kid to wander up and read on my screen. Just thought you'd like to know. I'd post a picture of "sucking balls" so that you'd know, but it violates rule 8, which incidentally reminds you that this is a family-friendly site.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:35 am

AMD Damo wrote:
Testing out this word filter -
It's too bad it's not possible to have a stupid filter.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:40 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Since Ragnar Dan apparently couldn't be bothered, "sucks balls" may not be profane, but it's certainly not family friendly. Certainly not something I'd want my (heretofore non-existent) kid to wander up and read on my screen. Just thought you'd like to know. I'd post a picture of "sucking balls" so that you'd know, but it violates rule 8, which incidentally reminds you that this is a family-friendly site.

Um boo hoo for you ? Seriously though if your offended by sucks balls you need to unplug from the internet, get rid of your tv and never go outside again because your going to hear or see something worse than that pretty every day.

zer0
Gerbil

Re: On profanity and the word filter

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 pm

So does that mean we're free from reprimand so long as the filter catches anything we say thats offensive, or are we supposed to avoid using anything the filter might catch in the first place?

Also, does the filter apply to the R&P? Seeing as how its somewhat more of a free for all from what I understand, I figured I'd ask...
I think the vast majority of people who tell you they have a virus actually mean 'I keep my pictures in the system32 folder and occasionally delete things at random'.

"it boots up so fast the desktop icons fly right off the screen..."

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: On profanity and the word filter

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 pm

zer0 wrote:
So does that mean we're free from reprimand so long as the filter catches anything we say thats offensive, or are we supposed to avoid using anything the filter might catch in the first place?

It would be better to avoid things you think the filter catches, but nothing happens if the filter stars out the word(s). However, the filter does not work in thread titles that appear in the hot threads list on the front page. So it's best to avoid any sort of profanity in thread titles. Hand slapping (or worse) is likely to result.

zer0 wrote:
Also, does the filter apply to the R&P? Seeing as how its somewhat more of a free for all from what I understand, I figured I'd ask...

Read the announcement that's listed in the R&P forum for R&P specific rules.