Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

forum downtime 1/4/2007 10PM EST

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:37 pm

We're going to be doing some maintenance on the forums at 10PM eastern tonight. I don't expect the forums will be offline for more than 15 minutes or so, but it could be as long as an hour.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:29 pm

Out of curiosity what does maintenance mean for forums?
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:41 pm

In this case, it means upgrading to a newer version of phpBB, and possibly installing some additional defenses against spammers.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
In this case, it means upgrading to a newer version of phpBB, and possibly installing some additional defenses against spammers.

That extra help against the spamming weve gotten lately would sure be a welcome addition :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

crazyjediman24
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:09 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That extra help against the spamming weve gotten lately would sure be a welcome addition :wink:

Agreed, although if anyone could ever come up with a method of spamming that wasn't so blatantly stupid, I might just salute them. But the only way that could happen is if spamming were to stop..... :( Oh well.
It is not who I am on the inside, but what I do, that defines me.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:48 pm

There were some last minute problems that I missed in my testing and we couldn't get resolved in time to get the upgrade done inside our window. Rather than start the upgrade and cause a potentially lengthy outage, we're going back to the drawing board.

Once we get the issues with the update resolved I will reschedule the downtime.

Sorry for the false alarm.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:06 am

Heh... I know how stuff like this goes (been in the software/IT field for the better part of 3 decades). :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:13 am

sroylance wrote:
There were some last minute problems that I missed in my testing and we couldn't get resolved in time to get the upgrade done inside our window. Rather than start the upgrade and cause a potentially lengthy outage, we're going back to the drawing board.

Once we get the issues with the update resolved I will reschedule the downtime.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Better to have a false alarm than the alternative. To many times I see folks plow ahead anyway and just make a bigger mess. Much better to say "Stop, it's not going to work. It will be delayed." and get it right. </end IT rant>

--SS