Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:59 am

**REMOVED**

**EDIT BY MOD: This thread doesn't require attacks on other forum members. -Kevin**
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:28 am

Fighterpilot wrote:
Combining the two basically removes any restrictions on such behaviour and will lead to more acrimonious posts IMO.

It's a pain in the butt to have to pick a thread loc though for those people who say "I've got $150-250, which video card on the market should I buy?" If we can't act maturely in a shared graphics thread then we can get banned.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:42 am

SNM wrote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Combining the two basically removes any restrictions on such behaviour and will lead to more acrimonious posts IMO.

It's a pain in the butt to have to pick a thread loc though for those people who say "I've got $150-250, which video card on the market should I buy?" If we can't act maturely in a shared graphics thread then we can get banned.

Amen, nature abhors a vacuum, neither ATI nor nVidia exists by itself, the ONLY downside is for people with a specific card seeking support, however I personally think this is negligible, because it just makes one place to find all the threads.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:41 am

SNM wrote:
Fighterpilot wrote:

I always thought "What hardwareX should I buy?" went in SBA in the first place, and that the graphics forum(s) was/were for discussing GPU-style technology...?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:17 am

I approve of the new categorization of things. Looks spiffy.

I do have a little niggle though. As Corrado and Astro said why not have a consumer electronics section instead of limiting it to displays?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:28 am

lordtottuu wrote:
I do have a little niggle though. As Corrado and Astro said why not have a consumer electronics section instead of limiting it to displays?
As clarified by Kevin and made fun of by others, "Visual Heaven" means any device that can put an image up, either on a monitor, a TV, a piece of transparent glass, holographic projection, etc...

As for just audio players, guess that can go to Echo Vale?

As for other weird gadgets like USB humping dog and such, well, I wonder if they should be discussed in other than the BP? :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:55 am

Flying Fox wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
As clarified by Kevin and made fun of by others, "Visual Heaven" means any device that can put an image up, either on a monitor, a TV, a piece of transparent glass, holographic projection, etc...

What if I want to talk about dvd players or other a/v stuff.

In other news, I am half asleep.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:00 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

Projectors would go into visual haven, receivers would, by and large, go into echo vale. At least that's what I think.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

Projectors would go into visual haven, receivers would, by and large, go into echo vale. At least that's what I think.
And DVD players will most definitely go to Visual Heaven, me thinks.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Opios
Gerbil

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 am

I would like a forum dedicated to front page topics. For example, I find the Saturday Science posts entertaining and intriguing. There are many times were I'd like to post a comment, but don't have the time to post more than the proverbial "me too" comment. When I finally have a chance to sit down and compose something worthwhile, the posting has moved to the bottom of the page or worse, the archives. At least for me, ‘the archives’ is effectively a death sentence for any new comments or discussion. In the forum setting, it's much easier to resurrect a 3 day old thread than to expect new discussion on an archived front page posting.

Secondly, I prefer the forum interface to the comment interface on the front page. While you can mimic the forum interface using a flat style, I feel it doesn’t have the polish that the forums do.

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
The separation of the graphics forums at present is a good thing...

Having threads about competing products together in one place makes more sense. Its easier to make a Nvida/ATI AMD/Intel comparison if the forums are component grouped rather than vendor grouped. With the current set up, I'm not sure where to post a "Which to buy ATI or Nvida?" thread. If I can't post two threads, do I want opinions from ATI guys in the ATI forum or Nvida guys from the Nvida forum answering this question.

If people can't play nice I think that's a separate issue.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:58 pm

flying hippo wrote:
With the current set up, I'm not sure where to post a "Which to buy ATI or Nvida?" thread.

All purchase questions go to the System Builders Anon. forum, don't they?

I don't see the big deal whether it's two forums for graphics and two forums for CPUs, or one a piece...it makes the list smaller (since it eliminates Processor Technology along with the other consolidation, with Graphics being set aside for monitors and photography - IIRC), which is nice, but not necessarily necessary.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:14 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
flying hippo wrote:
With the current set up, I'm not sure where to post a "Which to buy ATI or Nvida?" thread.

All purchase questions go to the System Builders Anon. forum, don't they?

Do they? Oops, there goes my Gerbil Team Leader status!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:15 pm

if they don't, it wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken. :lol:

flying hippo
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
if they don't, it wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken. :lol:

No no, I think you are right:

System Builder's Anonymous (Building a new system? Need help choosing between parts? Then step in and let our trained gerbils assist you.)

I guess people who get confused easily (ie ME) might post "Which GPU to get?" in the GPU section they really belong in the SBA. I don't see that being a big deal though.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Forum reorg, front page redesign..... Any thoughts on a forum software upgrade?
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:32 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Forum reorg, front page redesign..... Any thoughts on a forum software upgrade?

viewtopic.php?p=748665#748665

Yep.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Yes, we'll be moving to phpBB3. I'll be starting the forum re-org this week.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 am

Pictures, pictures! :D

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:16 am

Not sure where to post this, so I'll just say it here...

I like the new format, but there's one small thing that's missing.

On the main "home" page, the article synopsis' don't have the publication date. They do carry the date of the last "comment", but not the date of the original writing/publication, which is what I use to determine the relevance and/or whether or not I may have already read that article.

Additionally, when pressed for time, I don't want to click on an article only to find that I've already read it.

Other than that, so far, so good!

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:20 am

BIF wrote:
Not sure where to post this, so I'll just say it here...

You'll want this thread.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Is it just me, or are a lot of links that used to be underlined... not underlined any more, now that the front page redesign has happened, and CSS changes have occurred on the forums, too?

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:51 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Is it just me

You'll want this thread.

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:45 am

With the new changes and upgrade to phpbb3, are you planning on adding a spell checker mod?

I don't know if you are still up for suggestions on forum categories but I would love to see an area for testing/diagnostics/benchmarking of systems. It fits into many of the existing forums but would be nice to be able to jump to an area for this.

I'm looking forward to the jump to phpbb3! It has some features that I really like, especially with the user control panel.
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:49 am

GeekyGirl wrote:
With the new changes and upgrade to phpbb3, are you planning on adding a spell checker mod?
Why not use a web browser that includes a spell checker? Then you have it everywhere for free. Seems like bloat to put it into the forum software - who wants 50 different spell checkers implemented differently of 50 different forums rather than one done consistently in their browser?

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:08 am

mattsteg wrote:
GeekyGirl wrote:
Why not use a web browser that includes a spell checker? Then you have it everywhere for free. Seems like bloat to put it into the forum software - who wants 50 different spell checkers implemented differently of 50 different forums rather than one done consistently in their browser?

It's one simple mod that doesn't bloat the forum at all. I'm not sure why you think there are different spell checkers that need to be installed in each forum. I have it installed in my forum and people really appreciate it. Since we have some spelling nazis here, it is a nice touch.
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:16 am

Well, unless the spellchecker resides completely in a cachable JavaScript file, with the 1000's of users that TR has posting regularly, it's going to be a hell of a hit on the server. I'm not up to speed on how forum spellchecking is done these days though.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:20 am

GeekyGirl wrote:
It's one simple mod that doesn't bloat the forum at all.
Sure it does, it's more to maintain and keep up to date.
GeekyGirl wrote:
I'm not sure why you think there are different spell checkers that need to be installed in each forum. I have it installed in my forum and people really appreciate it.
If it didn't have to be installed in each forum, you installing it on yours would have given us that functionality here already.
GeekyGirl wrote:
Since we have some spelling nazis here, it is a nice touch.
We also have a large number of people using firefox and opera, for which this feature would just be added bloat for no gain because they already have a superior spell-checking implementation in their browser.

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:25 am

mattsteg wrote:
GeekyGirl wrote:
I'm not sure why you think there are different spell checkers that need to be installed in each forum. I have it installed in my forum and people really appreciate it.
If it didn't have to be installed in each forum, you installing it on yours would have given us that functionality here already.

Sorry I misunderstood you on this note..phpbb refers to each main category of topics as a forum so I thought you were referring to the multiple forums within the TR community.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:30 am

GeekyGirl wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
GeekyGirl wrote:

Sorry I misunderstood you on this note..phpbb refers to each main category of topics as a forum so I thought you were referring to the multiple forums within the TR community.
I just think it's way too much hassle (and potentially cpu load) to run and maintain spell-checking on a per-forum basis. If users feel they need spell checking, they'd probably benefit from using firefox, opera, or another browser with spell checking built-in, or maybe using something like (no experience, just googled it) iespell That way they get the same spell checking interface, same dictionary, and better performance at every site they visit. I just think spell checking is best done on the host side.

If you want a useful feature, maybe add tag checking. There are a lot of advantages to just running a straight vanilla install though.