Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Besides, the old behavior broke rather nastily in browsers without aggressive caching mechanisms. I found phpBB forums almost unusable in IE, compared to Opera's behavior.

Browsers with aggressive caching aren't affected much, browsers without have a much better experience.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Besides, the old behavior broke rather nastily in browsers without aggressive caching mechanisms. I found phpBB forums almost unusable in IE, compared to Opera's behavior.

Browsers with aggressive caching aren't affected much, browsers without have a much better experience.

How did it not work in IE? I don't remember having a problem, other than it refreshing (which isn't a problem anymore due to the fixed flood interval setting).

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.

Mark all has worked for me through all versions of IE and Firefox.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

I am planning on setting up phpBB for a company to be used as a employee forum. Someone told me that phpBB is notorious for having security issues. Is that true or does it take a lot of work to "lock things down" to prevent any kind of malicious activity? Or could that be more a issue with exploits in php itself and not this program?
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

So that will bring back the same functionality as in phpBB2? *sigh* ok. I guess 5 more seconds and 2 more clicks isn't going to ruin my day. It's just that both logging in and logging out is no longer simple.

Let me step into the realm of possible changes:
*Could you add the 'mark all forums read' link to the newposts page? I rarely go to the index page so this would save a step and a page load each time I want to log off.
*could you revert the login page to work like it did in phpBB2 such that it will return to the previous page when you are prompted to login. Right now it always goes to the index, which is annoying.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:
I am planning on setting up phpBB for a company to be used as a employee forum. Someone told me that phpBB is notorious for having security issues. Is that true or does it take a lot of work to "lock things down" to prevent any kind of malicious activity? Or could that be more a issue with exploits in php itself and not this program?

historically the problem has been with things like SQL injection and shell escapes in phpBB, not in PHP itself. These are defects in phpBB, so there's nothing you can do in phpBB itself to prevent them. In the past year or so it seems that they've squashed a lot of the bugs, I don't think there's been a serious new vulnerability announced in that time.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]

x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 pm

tfp wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]

x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]

Anybody else think that the dark green on black is a little tough to read?

Anyway, to answer you question, I think it's by design. A code block keeps anything from being processed within it so that you can present things without them being phpBBified.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 pm

I believe that's normal behavior for phpBB, and (IIRC) it behaved that way in v2, as well...

It makes it easier to use code tags to show bbCode.

(I'll note that vBulletin makes you do this dirty hack:)

[code][noparse](your code)[/noparse][/code]

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 pm

tfp wrote:

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]

x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]

A code tag that didn't ignore code would be kind of useless, no?

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:30 pm

I hardly consider the items like [super] code but sure.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:58 pm

tfp wrote:
I hardly consider the items like [super] code but sure.

What do you consider bbcode to be, then? (and what code includes superscript and subscript characters, for that matter?)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:00 pm

titan wrote:
Anybody else think that the dark green on black is a little tough to read?

I actually like it that way. I'm willing to guess that all those coders/terminal/command prompt users that use a black background with brighter-coloured texts in their editors will be in a similar situation.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.