Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

 
bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8194
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Besides, the old behavior broke rather nastily in browsers without aggressive caching mechanisms. I found phpBB forums almost unusable in IE, compared to Opera's behavior.

Browsers with aggressive caching aren't affected much, browsers without have a much better experience.
Image
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Besides, the old behavior broke rather nastily in browsers without aggressive caching mechanisms. I found phpBB forums almost unusable in IE, compared to Opera's behavior.

Browsers with aggressive caching aren't affected much, browsers without have a much better experience.

How did it not work in IE? I don't remember having a problem, other than it refreshing (which isn't a problem anymore due to the fixed flood interval setting).
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Posts: 28542
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.

Mark all has worked for me through all versions of IE and Firefox.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2600
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Utah

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:44 pm

I am planning on setting up phpBB for a company to be used as a employee forum. Someone told me that phpBB is notorious for having security issues. Is that true or does it take a lot of work to "lock things down" to prevent any kind of malicious activity? Or could that be more a issue with exploits in php itself and not this program?
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

Then before you log off, click the "Mark all forums read" link. You might also need click the delete cookie link that's at the bottom of the page.

So that will bring back the same functionality as in phpBB2? *sigh* ok. I guess 5 more seconds and 2 more clicks isn't going to ruin my day. It's just that both logging in and logging out is no longer simple.

Let me step into the realm of possible changes:
*Could you add the 'mark all forums read' link to the newposts page? I rarely go to the index page so this would save a step and a page load each time I want to log off.
*could you revert the login page to work like it did in phpBB2 such that it will return to the previous page when you are prompted to login. Right now it always goes to the index, which is annoying.
 
sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:
I am planning on setting up phpBB for a company to be used as a employee forum. Someone told me that phpBB is notorious for having security issues. Is that true or does it take a lot of work to "lock things down" to prevent any kind of malicious activity? Or could that be more a issue with exploits in php itself and not this program?

historically the problem has been with things like SQL injection and shell escapes in phpBB, not in PHP itself. These are defects in phpBB, so there's nothing you can do in phpBB itself to prevent them. In the past year or so it seems that they've squashed a lot of the bugs, I don't think there's been a serious new vulnerability announced in that time.
 
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]


x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]
 
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3376
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Great Smoky Mountains
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:16 pm

tfp wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]


x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]


Anybody else think that the dark green on black is a little tough to read?

Anyway, to answer you question, I think it's by design. A code block keeps anything from being processed within it so that you can present things without them being phpBBified.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
 
bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8194
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 pm

I believe that's normal behavior for phpBB, and (IIRC) it behaved that way in v2, as well...

It makes it easier to use code tags to show bbCode.

(I'll note that vBulletin makes you do this dirty hack:)

[code][noparse](your code)[/noparse][/code]
Image
 
mattsteg
Gerbil God
Posts: 15781
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 pm

tfp wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been reported or not but I don't believe the super tags works with in the code tags. Same thing for the sub scripts. I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.

x2

vs

x[super]2[/super]


x2

vs

x[sub]2[/sub]

A code tag that didn't ignore code would be kind of useless, no?
...
 
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:30 pm

I hardly consider the items like [super] code but sure.
 
mattsteg
Gerbil God
Posts: 15781
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:58 pm

tfp wrote:
I hardly consider the items like [super] code but sure.

What do you consider bbcode to be, then? (and what code includes superscript and subscript characters, for that matter?)
...
 
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Posts: 25688
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:00 pm

titan wrote:
Anybody else think that the dark green on black is a little tough to read?

I actually like it that way. I'm willing to guess that all those coders/terminal/command prompt users that use a black background with brighter-coloured texts in their editors will be in a similar situation.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests
GZIP: On