Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Re: phpBB 3

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:44 am

PerfectCr wrote:
idchafee wrote:
If this foe thing works the way I think it will (like a killfile, right?) that alone makes the obnoxious color scheme worth it.

So how does it work exactly? Is it kind of like an "ignore" feature, meaning I won't see the posts of my foes?

Their posts are replaced by a "click here to read" indication of some sort from what I've heard.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:48 am

it says

This post was made by ********* who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

The "Display this post" is a link to click. The entry itself is a single line with no info about the user (the location, gerbil rank, etc), so its easy to skip over unless you're looking for it. Very very nice. idchafee's foe list now has a single entry.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:52 am

Sorta like how vBulletin does it, then.

Let me check what it does to threads created by that user... I'll put Kevin on mine (TEMPORARILY!)

Edit: Bah, can't do that.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:54 am

bhtooefr wrote:
I'll put Kevin on mine (TEMPORARILY!)

Edit: Bah, can't do that.

The admin will not be ignored! BWAHAHAHA!
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:08 am

Kevin wrote:
The admin will not be ignored! BWAHAHAHA!

Your sig just makes this even funnier. :lol:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:09 am

Am I the only one who finds ignoring individual posters more annoying than useful most of the time? Who wants to see half of a conversation?

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 am

idchafee wrote:
idchafee's foe list now has a single entry.
Boof? Me?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:12 am

mattsteg wrote:
Am I the only one who finds ignoring individual posters more annoying than useful most of the time? Who wants to see half of a conversation?

If the missing half is idiotic drivel from a moron, I think missing it is a definite bonus. We'll see for sure, I have someone on my list. I'll report back as to how that person's absence from a conversation effects the flow.

lordtottuu wrote:
Boof? Me?

No and no. Why, you want to be ignored?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:53 am

idchafee wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Boof? Me?

No and no. Why, you want to be ignored?
Not especially. I was just curious. I am itching to add some one to my kill file but I can't figure out who to add.

/me looks at derfunk. :lol:

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 am

I'll note that I only extremely rarely use the ignore list on a vBulletin forum I'm on.

Some people really are worth completely ignoring, and breaking the flow of discussion.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:12 am

I'd add gratuitous [?] if he weren't banned. Lets face it. I'd rather see a link to a non existent post than the non existent post itself.

Edit: Bwah. I missed a word.
Last edited by lordT on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 am

lordtottuu wrote:
I'd add gratuitous [?] if he weren't banned. Lets face. I'd rather see a link to a non existent post than the non existent post itself.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:23 am

PerfectCr wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
I'd add gratuitous [?] if he weren't banned. Lets face it. I'd rather see a link to a non existent post than the non existent post itself.
Edit: Bwah. I missed a word.

Oh he was finally banned? Excellent.
I distinctly remember that event. Half of TR enjoyed it.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:28 am

A question here: Does the post title really need to be this big? I see the same redundant text multiple times.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 am

lordtottuu wrote:

And half of TG, too. :)

lordtottuu wrote:
A question here: Does the post title really need to be this big? I see the same redundant text multiple times.

Maybe it'll promote changing the subject for other posts. I could see it being useful in DYMT or something, where there's 20 zillion subthreads. :lol:

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 am

bhtooefr wrote:
I couldn't post either - when I tried, the whole comment area disappeared. Yes, I checked to see if the comment was there by refreshing.

Then again, the comment area is extremely sluggish, and doesn't work 100% correctly on Opera... it hasn't worked quite right since we moved to TR 2.0.
Well, I've been having a problem where the comment doesn't show up immediately, and sometimes doesn't even show up after a refresh, and I have to leave the comment area and go to the front page and come back to have it show up. But I've been having that problem for months. This is new, and I don't understand it. So far I've tried four different browsers on three machines, including IE5.5(!) on my Win2K box. I don't think it's a cookie issue because one of those machines had never visited TR before. It's like I'm blacklisted or something.
sroylance wrote:
I had to make some changes to jazz so it could work with phpBB3's new password hash. I installed the new version yesterday evening. Does your password have any particularly odd characters in it? Can you try changing your password to the forums?
Just alphanumeric. But why does it work here and not on the front page? If I go change it for the forums, does that propagate through to the front page? (The front page and the forums seem to be separate in a lot of ways).

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:54 am

lordtottuu wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Oh he was finally banned? Excellent.
(And the nested quote limit claims me as a victim for the first time. But I'm sure not the last.)
PerfectCr wrote:
Really? Was there some type of announcement? This is the due who goes back and edited out his post so they are blank right?
Yeah, that's the guy. If there was an announcement, I missed it... perhaps it happened somewhere in the middle of one of those 100+ post front page comment flamefests regarding AMD or Intel -- the ones I never visit.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:
Really? Was there some type of announcement? This is the due who goes back and edited out his post so they are blank right?
Yeah, that's the guy. If there was an announcement, I missed it... perhaps it happened somewhere in the middle of one of those 100+ post front page comment flamefests regarding AMD or Intel -- the ones I never visit.
Nah.. There wasn't any announcement of any sort. Kevin made a post in one of his threads when I linked to a front page comment thread where he edited out his post, again, after he was warned directly by Damage that he'd be banned if he pulled that off again. I'll try to find a link.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 pm

He got banned in a thead he started himself. Cant remember exactly where it was at.

edit: was digging around for the thread and didnt see the previous post.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Has his account been deleted? I can't find him in the member list. I can't find the thread in question either. I am assuming Kevin locked and deleted the thread. I have a general idea of how that thread went though.

grat: Something related to Moore's law, IIRC.
me: Whats the point? You are going to delete your post and we are going to look like fools. *finds a link where he deleted his post after Damage warned him*
Kevin: *brings down the ban hammer* And we are done with the thread and this thread's protagonist.

Fin.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:31 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Has his account been deleted? I can't find him in the member list. I can't find the thread in question either.

You fail at the internets.

With that done, can we go back to discussing phpBB 3, please?

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Kevin wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Has his account been deleted? I can't find him in the member list. I can't find the thread in question either.

You fail at the internets.
I swear that thread didn't show up on my search. Keywords were "Happy Birthday" and I asked it to restrict the search to posts from BP.

Kevin wrote:
With that done, can we go back to discussing phpBB 3, please?
Duly noted.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Can I just mention that I am very happy that it's now easy to get a link to a particular post in a thread via the little document icon next to the timestamp (there were ways to do it before involving tricks with the page= query string attribute, but it sucked). However, since we're talking about layout, I don't see how that needs to be on its own line by itself. The timestamp could go up just to the left of the quote/edit buttons, right justified. Subject lines shouldn't impinge on it since they're limited in length (and especially if they end up in a smaller font). Might not work for the narrow design, however.

Also -- and I realize the nature of the templates may make this impossible -- I'd like to see a line down by the Post Reply button that says "This thread is now X days old" or "Last activity in this thread was X" or something like that to discourage thread necromancy.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:26 pm

sroylance wrote:
I had to make some changes to jazz so it could work with phpBB3's new password hash. I installed the new version yesterday evening. Does your password have any particularly odd characters in it? Can you try changing your password to the forums?
Ok, I just changed my password to the forums. I can still post here, and I still can't post on the front page. Same error. I guess I'm banned :cry:

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:16 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Can I just mention that I am very happy that it's now easy to get a link to a particular post in a thread via the little document icon next to the timestamp (there were ways to do it before involving tricks with the page= query string attribute, but it sucked).

You could do that before, FWIW.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:27 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
swear that thread didn't show up on my search. Keywords were "Happy Birthday" and I asked it to restrict the search to posts from BP.

Actually, it looks like there are some issues with searching. For some reason I don't think the new version of phpBB is searching threads that were created in the old version. We'll have to look into this.

sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
sroylance wrote:
Ok, I just changed my password to the forums. I can still post here, and I still can't post on the front page. Same error. I guess I'm banned :cry:

No, I don't think we even have functional bans for jazz anyway :)
Jazz uses the phpbb users database, so it should always be in exact sync with your password for the forums. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? There are some cookies that jazz uses that might be causing problems.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Kevin wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
swear that thread didn't show up on my search. Keywords were "Happy Birthday" and I asked it to restrict the search to posts from BP.

Actually, it looks like there are some issues with searching. For some reason I don't think the new version of phpBB is searching threads that were created in the old version. We'll have to look into this.
^^ Proof that I don't fail at the Internet.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:33 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
^^ Proof that I don't fail at the Internet.

Except that I still managed to find it and you didn't. :p

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:34 pm

sroylance wrote:
Jazz uses the phpbb users database, so it should always be in exact sync with your password for the forums. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? There are some cookies that jazz uses that might be causing problems.
Yeah, I tried that. I also tried using a different machine and browser that I had never before used to view TR, so there couldn't have been any lingering cookies. Perhaps I'll have to register a different persona strictly for posting on the front page... :-?

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out. The username field is now case sensitive. I'm pretty certain that wasn't the case (heh) in the past.