Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 am

idchafee wrote:
you have more than 5000 posts, it doesn't show for you. Click on someone who has < 5000 posts
:oops: I read that as >5000 posts.

And yes, I find it really odd. Why restrict the feature to people with less than 5000 posts. Not that I find it a must have feature but still.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:53 am

lordtottuu wrote:
Why restrict the feature to people with less than 5000 posts. Not that I find it a must have feature but still.

Most likely, as bhtooefr said, it's probably to save load on the database. Finding all (say) 20000 posts by someone, then looking up the topic it was posted in, THEN looking up the forum that topic was posted is a lot of work.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:07 am

Here's the official word from the phpBB 3 developers: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=11078
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:21 pm

Kevin wrote:
Here's the official word from the phpBB 3 developers: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=11078
They actually hardcoded the value? They couldn't have made it a setting the admin could change without tinkering with the code? Crappy.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:27 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
Kevin wrote:
They actually hardcoded the value? They couldn't have made it a setting the admin could change without tinkering with the code? Crappy.

Well, it'd be easy to change the value to something greater. The administrator would just have to find which file contains that line and edit it. I think tinkering with PHP is pretty easy.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:42 pm

titan wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:
Kevin wrote:

Well, it'd be easy to change the value to something greater. The administrator would just have to find which file contains that line and edit it. I think tinkering with PHP is pretty easy.

Sure, but then you're stuck maintaining a nonstandard codebase. Any update could break what you did. Add a few other similar "tweaks" and staying up to date becomes much more painful.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Just a "would be nice" request -- it would be nice if the "Active Topics" and "New Topics" and "Unanswered posts" links were right next to the "View your posts" ego search, so those frequently-used queries were all in one place (at least for logged-in users).

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:40 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Just a "would be nice" request -- it would be nice if the "Active Topics" and "New Topics" and "Unanswered posts" links were right next to the "View your posts" ego search, so those frequently-used queries were all in one place (at least for logged-in users).

You mean like they were in the old, functional layout?

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:31 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

What, exactly, makes the new forum non-functional?

There are many UI changes that occurred between phpBB 2.x and 3.0. We here at TR had no say in those changes. Cyril has done a good job of limiting the sweeping changes (such as having the post details remain on the left side of posts in threads) while incorporating the forums into new TR site format. But there's a limit to what changes we can make. In order to update to new phpBB versions as they are released, the amount of non-standard code that is added has to be minimized. We need to be able to update quickly and easily to maintain high security and anti-spam capabilities. Things that are theme based can probably be modified more easily than the core software, but I'm not sure where the line is for that.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:32 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:

Yeah, except you know how we always have access to "View your posts"? I'd like to be able to have those other links right there with it. But it isn't like I'm suffering because of it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:53 pm

Beyond issues with fixes in process (blue vs. tan), my wishlist has but two items. First is somehow modifying the Board Index view so that forums with new posts are marked with something more than a color change. I'm not colorblind and have a good monitor yet it's still too subtle by half against the tan background. When the optional blue forum theme is rolled out it's likely to be even more difficult. Second is relocating (or duplicating) the "mark all forums read" link to the bottom left of the index page right below the list of forums and just above the "who is online" section.

Minor gripes, to be sure.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

What, exactly, makes the new forum non-functional?

There are many UI changes that occurred between phpBB 2.x and 3.0. We here at TR had no say in those changes. Cyril has done a good job of limiting the sweeping changes (such as having the post details remain on the left side of posts in threads) while incorporating the forums into new TR site format. But there's a limit to what changes we can make. In order to update to new phpBB versions as they are released, the amount of non-standard code that is added has to be minimized. We need to be able to update quickly and easily to maintain high security and anti-spam capabilities. Things that are theme based can probably be modified more easily than the core software, but I'm not sure where the line is for that.

It's more a change from the known-good status that I'm whining about. I know that many new mod features were added, but for us users, there really is very little new. Now it is much harder (for me at least) to discern stickies/announcements/new posts, the icons for PM and such got moved. The links for 'view new posts' etc got moved. No more html. Links and stuff just don't make sense, layout-wise. I mean, on the threads with polls, there is no dividing between the poll and the post. Not very easy to read, IMHO. The layout seems really bulky with lots of wasted space. I know that a large part of that is theming, but I'm still in the camp that something isn't functional until the potential has been realized. Once we have our blue theme back that makes reading easier then we'll see.

EDIT: and I just got hit with the 'at least one new post' thing that didn't post my comment. Is there a way to turn that annoying 'feature' off?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm

EDIT: and I just got hit with the 'at least one new post' thing that didn't post my comment. Is there a way to turn that annoying 'feature' off?
*gah* double post because of this.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:59 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Wow is the Usacomp posting train finally coming into the station?
Judging from the above it looks like it has completely jumped the tracks....

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I know that many new mod features were added, but for us users, there really is very little new.

There's a ton of new stuff. Did you see this list? Granted, some of that stuff I have disabled, but there's far more to phpBB 3 than just moderating tool improvements. (And actually, the mod tools don't add nearly as much as the new admin tools. The things I can do with permissions are amazing.)

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Now it is much harder (for me at least) to discern stickies/announcements/new posts,

Stickies are the same, just a different icon. I guess they also got rid of the "Sticky:" text at the beginning. Announcements are FAR easier to discern since they are completely separate from the rest of the threads in the forums. New posts are difficult if you've got red/green colorblindness like yourself, but those are standard phpBB 3 icons.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
the icons for PM and such got moved. The links for 'view new posts' etc got moved.

Not sure what you mean about PM icons. If you mean the link to your PM box, that just went from the center to the left. The 'view new posts' just went from the right to the left. Those are standard to phpBB 3. I honestly have a hard time understanding why this is a big deal. I was more disappointed in how they changed the 'view new posts' page, since the forums that the threads are in are more difficult to identify than before.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
No more html.

That was a security decision by the phpBB developers. The need for it isn't as great as it was, since the BBCode for links and images was improved. If there's a must have html feature, we can always add custom BBCodes. I can actually do that from the admin control panel.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Links and stuff just don't make sense, layout-wise.

How so?

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I mean, on the threads with polls, there is no dividing between the poll and the post. Not very easy to read, IMHO.

The polls could use a bit more contrast between the poll and the first post.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The layout seems really bulky with lots of wasted space.

Again, that just seems to be the way phpBB 3 was made. If you check out polls on the CBE forum, the spacing is exactly the same.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I know that a large part of that is theming,

Actually, my opinion is that very little of it is the theme. But Steve and/or Cyril would know more about that since they've been in the code.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
but I'm still in the camp that something isn't functional until the potential has been realized.

Other than the new post issue, which I would think you'd experience on any phpBB 3 forum if they used the standard icons, I don't see anything here that has to do with function. Perhaps we define function differently? HTML too, I guess. But what part of HTML are you missing that you can't do with BBCode?

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Once we have our blue theme back that makes reading easier then we'll see.

The gerbils and blue, poor Scott just can't escape it.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

That' one of the best features, IMO. Completely prevents posting something in a thread, only to find out that someone beat you to it. I think the option to turn it off is a global setting for all users, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Again, that just seems to be the way phpBB 3 was made. If you check out polls on the CBE forum, the spacing is exactly the same.

In general, while functionality is up, legibility seems to have taken a step backwards with phpBB3. Some of the design/layout changes that have been implemented are just baffling. It's not a TR thing, it's a phpBB thing.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:05 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me. You are right. Most of the changes are specific to phpbb3, so it's not really ya'lls fault. Most of the stuff I'll just get over in time. Lemme go back and read and see if there were specific questions you asked...

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Now it is much harder (for me at least) to discern stickies/announcements/new posts,

Stickies are the same, just a different icon. I guess they also got rid of the "Sticky:" text at the beginning. Announcements are FAR easier to discern since they are completely separate from the rest of the threads in the forums. New posts are difficult if you've got red/green colorblindness like yourself, but those are standard phpBB 3 icons.

Getting rid of the word "sticky" is a pretty big change in my book. The icons are too hard to discern, and honestly in about 45 seconds of looking, I just can't seem to find any stickies. You are right though, the announcements section is separated, and I like that. Could you put the stickies up there too? Also, the icons aren't particularly intuitive to a new person here, IMHO.

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
the icons for PM and such got moved. The links for 'view new posts' etc got moved.

Not sure what you mean about PM icons. If you mean the link to your PM box, that just went from the center to the left. The 'view new posts' just went from the right to the left. Those are standard to phpBB 3. I honestly have a hard time understanding why this is a big deal. I was more disappointed in how they changed the 'view new posts' page, since the forums that the threads are in are more difficult to identify than before.

Yeah, they were moved. I guess it kinds makes sense to have them next to the person's name, but it was still a surprise :P I agree that the 'view new posts' page is different and harder to read, and I don't really like how it doesn't prompt you to login before showing you your new posts, since that was the old behaviour and now I have to click the bookmark, click login, hit login with my info, and then reload the bookmark as opposed to the old system of loading bookmark and hitting enter. Like I said, I'll get used to it.

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
No more html.

That was a security decision by the phpBB developers. The need for it isn't as great as it was, since the BBCode for links and images was improved. If there's a must have html feature, we can always add custom BBCodes. I can actually do that from the admin control panel.

I know that wasn't your call, but it still is different, although it's definitely not a big one since I can't think of anything other than the links (which now presumable work properly) that needs it. Consider it a non-issue then.

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Links and stuff just don't make sense, layout-wise.

How so?

Like it being really difficult to tell which forum a post is in. The text is kinda smooshed and jumbled and it will take me awhile to get used to it and find the information that I'm used to finding.

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Just because it's the default way doesn't make it any less wasteful. Again, not a big deal.

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I know that a large part of that is theming,

Actually, my opinion is that very little of it is the theme. But Steve and/or Cyril would know more about that since they've been in the code.

I was more getting back to the lots of open unused space. Also the dark on light I'm not as big a fan of. Especially for late-night browsing or reading in low-light on a laptop screen.

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

That' one of the best features, IMO. Completely prevents posting something in a thread, only to find out that someone beat you to it. I think the option to turn it off is a global setting for all users, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I just don't like being forced to have to read whether I want to post. When I hit post, well then post it, gosh dang it. It's not like I don't read the thread after I post anyway. It's just like how phpbb2 uses the confirmation page. I personally found that to be very annoying and a waste of my time. It'd be alot faster for me to tell whether it posted or not by just having it go back to the thread when I hit 'submit' and I'll see my post there. If someone else already said it, then usually having supporting evidence from multiple sources isn't a bad thing. Plus, editing to say 'beat to it' isn't difficult and most people here seem to have accomplished that. I know that some people (such as yourself) like the feature, so again file it into minor personal annoyance.

There really aren't any deal-breakers. It is a new layout and I'm sure it will grow on me. The front page sure has. I do want to thank those involved for making it a widescreen-compatible layout. Even though there is wasted space, it's not nearly as bad as it could be.

EDIT: another thing, can we change links to open in a new window? I really liked that functionality in the past, and would love to see it back.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:38 am

hehe, I love the someone posted before you so check what you wrote cause now it might be pointless... thing :D

I rather like all of it actually. I don't like having to go up to the top to get the board options bit, cause it's just got the link to the board index at the bottom, but i got used to that in about two days :D
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:27 am

The CSS for the polls is clearly broken.

Cyril
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:29 am

lordtottuu wrote:

Can you post a screenshot? If you're referring to the (arguably excessive) spacing, that's just the way phpBB 3 does it. Formatting it differently would involve redoing the template HTML and style from scratch, and I don't think that's worth the time investment.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:48 am

Cyril wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

Can you post a screenshot? If you're referring to the (arguably excessive) spacing, that's just the way phpBB 3 does it. Formatting it differently would involve redoing the template HTML and style from scratch, and I don't think that's worth the time investment.

To me thats broken. I don't quite think you need to redo the HTML in the template files or style from scratch to make it look better. All you need to do is center the content and reducing the irritating spacing.

The advantage of using template systems and CSS is that you can tweak it to look exactly like you want it, isn't it? Hell, you can even change the entire positioning so that the radio button is to the left of the text without touching the source markup. Isn't the Zen Garden proof enough?

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:49 am

The only thing that phpBB3's lack of HTML makes impossible is tables, IIRC.

(I have used tables in posts here before...)

However, they can be simulated with a PNG, although with massive loss in functionality. Also, I can just link to a page with the tables.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 pm

I have a question: what's with people's names being different colors? Sometimes their black, sometimes dark blue, and sometimes light blue.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:13 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
The only thing that phpBB3's lack of HTML makes impossible is tables, IIRC.

(I have used tables in posts here before...)

However, they can be simulated with a PNG, although with massive loss in functionality. Also, I can just link to a page with the tables.

Maybe this would help.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:14 pm

titan wrote:
I have a question: what's with people's names being different colors? Sometimes their black, sometimes dark blue, and sometimes light blue.

Color coding.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:19 pm

mattsteg wrote:
titan wrote:

Color coding.

Thanks for the enlightening answer. What does the color coding mean?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:22 pm

titan wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
titan wrote:

Color coding.

Go to the board index page, and the scroll to the bottom. Look for the line that says "Legend: ...". ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:43 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
To me thats broken. I don't quite think you need to redo the HTML in the template files or style from scratch to make it look better. All you need to do is center the content and reducing the irritating spacing.

That's how the polls are designed in phpBB 3.

lordtottuu wrote:
The advantage of using template systems and CSS is that you can tweak it to look exactly like you want it, isn't it? Hell, you can even change the entire positioning so that the radio button is to the left of the text without touching the source markup. Isn't the Zen Garden proof enough?

And what makes you think phpBB is as flexible as the Zen Garden?

Kevin
Administrator

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:44 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
titan wrote:

Go to the board index page, and the scroll to the bottom. Look for the line that says "Legend: ...". ;)

I also put it in my FAQ.

Cyril
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:11 pm

lordtottuu wrote:

If you're able to make the poll look more palletable using CSS only then I'd love to see what you can come up with. However, I found no clean way to improve it. The same element contains the radio buttons and poll bars, so moving the radio buttons to the left makes the results view awkward. Simply centering the poll content looks equally awkward.

Also, I redesigned the entire site using CSS. I don't think you need to clue me in on the advantages of stylesheets. ;)