Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

 
UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Posts: 10368
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: phpBB 3

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Gah I just lost a long reply to the Sonic thread because of the stupd 'review your post thing' because I had already clicked the tab. I ctrl-w to the next tab as soon as I see that the page was uploaded and the next one starts loading. It's going to take me awhile to get used to that 'feature'. Are you sure there's no way to turn it off?
Maybe you should use preview more, especially when you're writing very long replies?

In Firefox you can use the History menu to open "Recently Closed Tabs" and your reply should still be there.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Maybe you should use preview more, especially when you're writing very long replies?

Why should I use one system that I don't need to overcome another one that I don't need. I can read my own writing fine without the need of preview. And it wasn't that lengthy, it's just that the topic doesn't really merit the 5 minutes I spent replying in the first place :P
UberGerbil wrote:
In Firefox you can use the History menu to open "Recently Closed Tabs" and your reply should still be there.

Cool. I didn't remember where the setting was. Thanks.
 
bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8194
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Hmm, while the inability for someone to break the page is nice... it's not possible to post an 800x600 image without it getting cut off on a 1024x768 display...

I think you could get 5 pixels on either side (reducing the blue area), and about 10 or 15 pixels from the profile area without causing icons to wrap...
Image
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Hmm, while the inability for someone to break the page is nice... it's not possible to post an 800x600 image without it getting cut off on a 1024x768 display...

Yeah, I thought that was annoying too. I thought phpbb3 was going to have the page-breaking fix of a post that was too wide would just, itself be wider, while all the others would remain the same width.
 
bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8194
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Problem is, that allows a wider post to still somewhat break the page.

One approach that some forums I'm on use is a scroll bar in the post if it's too wide.

Another approach I've seen (Gleek's forum does this) is, scaling images in the post automatically if they're too wide.
Image
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Problem is, that allows a wider post to still somewhat break the page.

One approach that some forums I'm on use is a scroll bar in the post if it's too wide.

Another approach I've seen (Gleek's forum does this) is, scaling images in the post automatically if they're too wide.

As long as I only have to scroll so see that one post, that's perfectly acceptable. A bear to program though, I'm sure.

The problem with the second one is that unless the image is resampled and not just resized, they look like crap, and that's also a CPU hit, especially for threads with lots of pictures in them.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Is there any way to not have links truncated? It is annoying in some cases.
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Hmm, while the inability for someone to break the page is nice... it's not possible to post an 800x600 image without it getting cut off on a 1024x768 display...

I could specify a hard limit for image size in the ACP, but what that limit should be is an open question (and would be a board wide setting).

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Is there any way to not have links truncated? It is annoying in some cases.

I don't see anything in the ACP that affects this. In what cases is it annoying? Hovering over the link still shows the full URL in the status bar.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Kevin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Is there any way to not have links truncated? It is annoying in some cases.

I don't see anything in the ACP that affects this. In what cases is it annoying? Hovering over the link still shows the full URL in the status bar.

Yeah, I know that you can show them through hovering, but if there is a post with a handful of links, it's effortful to position the mouse over them one-by-one and you can't compare 2 links to see if they are the same.

Hmm. I can't seem to find the thread that I was at before posting the question. It's not that big of a deal, I just don't like the idea of things truncated automatically without my control. I can understand why it is generally helpful. I guess it's one of those 'yeah, it helps 85% of the time, but there is no checkbox for the other 15% of cases' type scenario.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25419
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:46 pm

why would you post the same link twice, anyway? I'm sure your 85-15 is skewed in favor of the exception, that it's more like 99-1. ;)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
why would you post the same link twice, anyway? I'm sure your 85-15 is skewed in favor of the exception, that it's more like 99-1. ;)


Not the same link twice, but various sources for an article, for example.
 
bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8194
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Most non-phpBB forums I'm on truncate the middle of the URL, rather than the end. That way, you can still see the ending without mousing over, yet it'll never break the page.
Image
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:10 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Most non-phpBB forums I'm on truncate the middle of the URL, rather than the end. That way, you can still see the ending without mousing over, yet it'll never break the page.

phpBB3 also does this, except for links to other parts of the forums, then it just removes the common part of the path.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Kevin wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:
Most non-phpBB forums I'm on truncate the middle of the URL, rather than the end. That way, you can still see the ending without mousing over, yet it'll never break the page.

phpBB3 also does this, except for links to other parts of the forums, then it just removes the common part of the path.

Why does it truncate it so short though. Truncating a 100character link is one thing, but, for example:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... l=en&s=gen
That's not going to break any pages. If a link is really long, most people are going to put it in the {url} tags anyways.
 
Kevin
Administrator
Posts: 6581
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:15 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Why does it truncate it so short though.

No idea. Ask the phpBB devs.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
If a link is really long, most people are going to put it in the {url} tags anyways.

You'd be surprised. It was something I really hated to moderate and it happened often enough to be a major pain. Now phpBB does it for me.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
 
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Posts: 28542
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
If a link is really long, most people are going to put it in the {url} tags anyways.

Heh. Shortening URLs that busted a 10x7 page accounted for the majority of my mod posts in the v2 'Porch.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Not that USAComp doesn't have the right to address any complaints he has about the new forums, but with all his objections he could start his own issues thread. :lol:

But where would the fun be in that.

I'm one of those people that likes to complain, but it's not really a complaint. It's how I process something new. Once I get it out and especially if those in power explain it, it really no longer bothers me (for mosth things at least). I'm not quite sure why I'm wired that way, but I assure you my wife will verify that I am :wink:
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:01 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
It's cool. Just sounds like a lot of your comments could really be leveled at the phpBB devs. ;)

Well a large part of that comes from the fact that I've never really delved into skins. Also, I've setup and admineed a phpBB2 forum before, but haven't messed with 3 at all, so I no longer know how that part of the backend works. If I have a comment I don't know whether it's because of phpBB3 in general or the specific implementation here. So far they mostly fall into the former.

Much thanks to the patience of Kevin and Steve and Cyril for putting up with me. I don't know if I'm worth it, but I'm honored.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25419
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:16 am

Is it just my machine or did a bunch of text go light grey? And where'd the quote/edit/report buttons go?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2402
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:34 pm
Location: TR Forums

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 am

Steve is probably playing around on the live server again. :P
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25419
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 am

Can I post when I'm not logged in? I can't go back and edit anything.\

edit: Ctrl+F5 got the new CSS and now the buttons are back. I think someone was fooling with me earlier.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
iamajai
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:02 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: phpBB 3

Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Did the red and blue used for delineating read/unread topics get slightly revised or have my eyes slowly adapted? For some reason I can now see the difference, clearly...
Acer AO521, Asus EEE2G, and an e6300 (EP45-DS3L, 4GB Corsair, 320GB 7200.10, EVGA GT250, Corsair VX450W and Samsung 2043BW)
 
Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3281
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: phpBB 3

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:53 am

Image
 
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8316
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In a lab playing with blood
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:58 pm

How come I can't see any of the front page comments once it goes to a second (or more) page. I read them as flat not threaded, and when I click to try and open the second page I get a blank blue & beige template.

I'm running FF.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
 
sroylance
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 am

Hoser wrote:
How come I can't see any of the front page comments once it goes to a second (or more) page. I read them as flat not threaded, and when I click to try and open the second page I get a blank blue & beige template.

I'm running FF.


That's odd, it works correctly for me.
 
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8316
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In a lab playing with blood
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:04 am

sroylance wrote:
That's odd, it works correctly for me.


It does for me now too.......strange. It was the 3870 article comments I was getting the problem with. *shrug*
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I'm experiencing the same thing here, I just noticed. I'm at work. I signed in at 2, browsed for a little bit, then signed out and closed FF (2.0.0.11). I come back from doing a job, open FF back up, login, and behold the previous list of 'new posts' was still there. It had been updated with the real 'new posts' but the ones that were new when I logged in at 2, were still on the list, even though they weren't marked as new.

EDIT: I tried clearing the cookies/cache and it seems to be working now.

Well it's acting up again. I logged in from my laptop in class early this afternoon, then logged out at the end of class. When I got to work just now and logged in, it showed the same list as from earlier (updated with the new posts). Is there some sort of something server-side the keeps the session alive even after the user logs off? If so, that's dumb. I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

I don't really understand where phpBB3 stores whether a post has been viewed or not. I'm guessing that it has changed since 2 though.
 
mattsteg
Gerbil God
Posts: 15781
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I'm experiencing the same thing here, I just noticed. I'm at work. I signed in at 2, browsed for a little bit, then signed out and closed FF (2.0.0.11). I come back from doing a job, open FF back up, login, and behold the previous list of 'new posts' was still there. It had been updated with the real 'new posts' but the ones that were new when I logged in at 2, were still on the list, even though they weren't marked as new.

EDIT: I tried clearing the cookies/cache and it seems to be working now.

Well it's acting up again. I logged in from my laptop in class early this afternoon, then logged out at the end of class. When I got to work just now and logged in, it showed the same list as from earlier (updated with the new posts). Is there some sort of something server-side the keeps the session alive even after the user logs off? If so, that's dumb. I want it to be that whenever I hit logoff, it deletes that session.

I don't really understand where phpBB3 stores whether a post has been viewed or not. I'm guessing that it has changed since 2 though.

I consider that behavior a feature, not a bug. It's quite handy and a huge improvement over phpBB2.
...
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 23043
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:12 pm

mattsteg wrote:
I consider that behavior a feature, not a bug. It's quite handy and a huge improvement over phpBB2.

How is that a feature. When I want to view "new posts since last visit" I want it to do just that. Only show the one's that are new since the last visit.
 
mattsteg
Gerbil God
Posts: 15781
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Applauding the new/old variable width forums
Contact:

Re: phpBB 3

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
I consider that behavior a feature, not a bug. It's quite handy and a huge improvement over phpBB2.

How is that a feature. When I want to view "new posts since last visit" I want it to do just that. Only show the one's that are new since the last visit.
It's a feature because I prefer to keep the same list of new posts between multiple computers. If I don't have a chance to read a "new" post right away, I greatly appreciate having it available and still flagged in the future, even if I'm at a different computer. How is that not a feature? The old way of doing things sucked. One search for new posts and you'd lose your entire list of fresh content everywhere but on that one computer/browser and lose any other "new" posts you hadn't read elsewhere. Now that doesn't happen.

It's not like you can't tell what posts you've read and what ones you haven't.
...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
GZIP: On