Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Kevin

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Server outage, some lost posts

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Guys:

We had difficulty with what we'd hoped would be a routine drive swap today and had to fail over, for a few hours, to a secondary web server. After a little work, we were able to resuscitate our primary server, rebuild its array with the new drive, and return to production on it.

That's great news for us--the site is back to full strength, full capacity, and full primary/secondary redundancy--but it means all posts and comments from about 12:30PM to 4:00PM today, when the site was running on the secondary box, have been lost. Given the way things went down, some loss of messages for a time period was inevitable. Apologies, though, for the inconvenience.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Server outage, some lost posts

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Hurray, my comments happened to get restored.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:23 pm

yay. Mine got restored, and my new ones regarding the comment-loss got removed, so that I don't sound like a perception-distorting schizophrenic.

dustyjamessutton
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I swear, those dang gnomes we're at it again, tinkering with the servers. A little more security around the room where the servers are at would be good. Then again, gnomes are pretty ingenious at being sneaky. I try to appease the gnomes at my house by leaving food out for them. We struck a deal if I leave them food, they leave my computer alone. :wink:
Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names, but the bard's song will remain....

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:59 pm