Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

What is the the best upgrade platform the go with?

Z170
31 (94%)
X99A
2 (6%)
X99
No votes

Total votes: 33

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Re: New Build! What Is Intel Best Upgrade Platform the go with?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:53 am

Dizzytaz00 wrote:
Very Nice! part pick ,but I'm not into going for a OEM card(s). I understand it would be great for video editing & encoding (titan XP) , but i'm thinking of water cooling later down the road with EK water cooling kit.

EK has full coverage blocks for a Titan XP. Speaking for the more general case, it's usually easier to find waterblocks for a reference card, not tougher.

I should rant a lot more about how this is eleventy million kinds of overkill for the work you want to do and you might as well be literally throwing money off a cliff, but you don't seem to be deterred, so whatever.

Dizzytaz00 wrote:
This is the part for Master 6950X build off of Newegg! https://goo.gl/photos/nARmGbAPSPKHExWQA

For the kinds of work you'll be doing, there isn't a single part on that list that's better than what I just listed. You might as well be literally throwing money off a cliff.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:15 am

If you really, really just want something halo because internet points or something, for the love of all things computing at least put that money you want to spend on a 6950X into a second Titan XP instead. If you go all-out with video cards, you at least theoretically get something for it. The 6950X is appreciably slower for your uses than a 6900K, which is in turn appreciably slower than a 6850K, which is pretty similar to a 6700K. What's more, everyone clueful who finds out you have a 6950X is going to look at you every bit as funny for it as we are right here and now.

More money does NOT always mean better parts.

6950X is worse than 6900K is worse than 6850K. 6850K and 6700K are similar. This applies equally to performance and internet points, if you hang out on parts of the internet where people have a clue.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:42 am

Dizzytaz00 wrote:
Question Does anyone own a a rig with a I7 6950X?

No, but I have 16x i7-6900Ks under my wing. Nobody ever uses them to actually work, they exist as headless slaves to do number crunching. The people working on modelling and setting up video/compute/render jobs get better performance on their workstations from the quad-cores that boost to 4+ GHz.

If you really want to spend ten grand, send it to me and I'll build you a super fast Z170 box with some funky custom watercooling, lots of RGB lighting and state of the art performance. It'll even have Skull Trail and Titan stickers on the front for bragging rights and it'll come with a certificate that proves I spent two thirds of your budget on a six week luxury cruise around the Mediterranean.

Everyone wins - you get your retail therapy and a fast machine, I get a great vacation.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:33 am

Right now! I debating on waiting for the Z270 motherboard hopefully coming out late in maybe October. Any news ETA?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:29 am

Nope. What's wrong with Z170 anyway? There's no release date yet and apart from being new and potentially full of bugs, Intel have confirmed that it'll be the same as the Z170 with the exception of Optane support for the as-of-yet unreleased 3D XPoint storage, something that is unlikely to be relevant to consumer products in any meaningful way for the lifespan of your PC anyway. Even if you were super-hyped on Optane support, there's no ETA on that yet either and the costs are likely to be in the realms of "enterprise and datacenter only" for the first few years. We're only just starting to see consumer grade PCIe SSD drives become affordable/sensible now, despite me having been late to the world of enterprise SSD storage, yet still having had them in my server room since 2012.

In short, Z270 is:
  • Not here yet
  • Untested and unknown track record, something that matters because Intel do release buggy chipsets from time to time.
  • Guaranteed to have an MSRP price premium with an additional "hot new thing" early adopter tax
  • So new you won't be able to find any decent motherboards or motherboard reviews unless you wait, so you'll be buying blind
  • Unlikely to offer you anything different to a Z170 for the lifespan of your new computer.

If you have a huge budget but haven't bought anything yet, what are you waiting for? There's perpetually new stuff just around the corner, but Kaby/Z270 is out now and it's already the biggest pile of mediocrity ever. Kaby is barely more than a rebranding excercise because intel's Tick-Tock cycle has now changed to "Tick-Tock-Meh" and Kaby is the "meh".
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 am

Well my cooler master master case maker 5. Just received the tempered glass side panel. Trying to figure out what led case light & fan controller to use?

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 am

Acer Predator 32" 4k gsync same price as the ASUS ROG 34".  Don't really know what would give you the better experience: 4k@60hz Gsync or 2k@100hz Gsync.

FYI: 1080ti slated for Jan release, pricing unknown.

In a mostly unrelated note; If this is a preamble to driving the convertible over a cliff with Louise would you mind leaving me your rig in the will?

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:33 am

Coran Fixx wrote:
Acer Predator 32" 4k gsync same price as the ASUS ROG 34".  Don't really know what would give you the better experience: 4k@60hz Gsync or 2k@100hz Gsync.

FYI: 1080ti slated for Jan release, pricing unknown.

In a mostly unrelated note; If this is a preamble to driving the convertible over a cliff with Louise would you mind leaving me your rig in the will?

I'm waiting for the new revision of the Acer 34" predator ,that has straight overclock 100 MHz right out of the box. As for the 1080 TI , I'm think that the rumor mill & N-fans are dreaming!

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:20 am

As I face a dilemma,in my Z170 build going forward with. I'm thinking to myself should I wait until January for the new Z270 motherboards?

I might consider building both an X99 and Z170! Each would be useful for my problems editing & rendering 4K video in DivX 4K which i've been trying to do in the last 4 months,on a I7 6500u HP laptop.

As for gaming 4K monitors are (in my opinion are coming down in price.) ,but still thinking about that ( 3 ) tri-monitor setup might be the way to go, with SLI, be 27" 2k monitors. (Dual 1080's)

About money/funds If i decide to spend 10k On 2 builds ,I'm going all out with it & the RGB lighting!

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:22 am

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:26 am

Multiple monitors are great for productivity- not so much for gaming. The 34" UW panels would be a better solution, though expensive and imperfect. 4k, unless on a large panel, is a bit of a miss for productivity, and a larger miss for gaming. That's a ghost you don't want to chase yet ;).

Dizzytaz00
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:37 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Multiple monitors are great for productivity- not so much for gaming. The 34" UW panels would be a better solution, though expensive and imperfect. 4k, unless on a large panel, is a bit of a miss for productivity, and a larger miss for gaming. That's a ghost you don't want to chase yet ;).

Right now i'm undecided on Asus or Acer's 34" 4K / 2k 27 " monitors. (I'm fan of IPS) In one sence ,I could buy both & compared & return them, But and 8 hour round trip to the nearest Micro Center is HMMM!!