Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Good advice, or how to be helpful.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDCeLng44l0
He points out some of the issues folks have when posting advice to other folks who want to get into DIY rigs. He also rightly brings up the fact there is more then one way to build computers and that prebuilts do make sense for some users use case.

While I believe that most of the time that building your own is the best way to go, I do realize that in some cases it isn't.  The speaker then gives tips on how to give helpful advice those new to BYU and not scare them away.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Good advice, or how to be helpful.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:01 pm

If TechSupportYou Then Print "Dude, get a Dell."

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

That's good advice. I did build one for my dad however. However if someone wants to build his first system, then I will give advice.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

If TechSupport = You Then Print "Dude, get a Dell."
Set TechSupport = Dell
Revel in freed up time.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:35 pm

A few of my thoughts:
  1. TR is quite polite as far as internet comments go.
  2. Yes, there are endless solutions to the same "problem" when it comes to building a PC from scratch
  3. Someone saying "I plan on using Photoshop / AutoCAD / encoding / Video editing / etc productivity applications" is of little help since the system requirement for using those programs varies wildly depending on the tasks being performed in said program.  Gaming is significantly easier: what games do you play, what resolution is your monitor.
  4. Future-proofing always seems to de-rail discussions since that basically leaves the component selection open-ended.
  5. Budget is something that's always a challenge.  Two people might have the same "usage requirements" which would imply the same budget, but if one makes $100,000/yr more than the other, then "over-building" is more feasible.  Conversely saved money on unnecessary upgrades can always be put to something else, whether that's PC related or not.
  6. (IMO) most OPs don't know exactly what's necessary for their needs or they wouldn't be asking for advice.  Recognizing their level of knowledge and not belittling them if you know more is important.
  7. System cost is always something easy to quantify.  The "these components offer equal performance for cheaper" statement is something that I find myself doing a lot because I browse newegg's sales posts every morning at breakfast.  I do it so others don't have to.  While it may seem like nitpicking, it's not a bad thing to save a few bucks.
  8. Yes, there are times when selecting an OEM box and upgrading the GPU (and probably PSU) is a better match for the OPs technical ability.  Other times, paying a boutique like iBuyPower a couple hundred bucks to build you a solid aftermarket PC that is easily upgraded is a good choice (that's how I started).
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod