Personal computing discussed

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

 
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: South Carolina

Final decisions for new build

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi guys...me again.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a new build and looking for a little help.

Here's what I have so far
Case: Corsair 450D
PSU: EVGA Super Nove G3 650 watt
Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A
Cooler: Cryorig H7
Ram: G.Skill 2x8gb DDR4-3200 Trident Z

So, I saved the biggest and most expensive for last.
Need:
i7-7700K (can get for $310 on Ebay through Monoprice)
SSD
GPU

I'm obviously committed to the Kaby Lake platform, so I need help on choosing an SSD and GPU.

I'm leaning towards the GTX1070, and prices are running from $380 to $410. However, I just saw a GTX1080 for $479 after $30 MIR. That's very tempting. What do you think?

My biggest dilemma is choosing the SSD. I'm looking at the 1TB Crucial MX300 or the Mushkin Reactor 1TB.

I'm a casual gamer. Nothing really super hard core, but I want it to be a top notch system.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks as always.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB w/ Win 10 64-bit | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus VW246H
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17568
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:56 pm

What monitor are you using? That could influence your choice of graphics card.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
What monitor are you using? That could influence your choice of graphics card.


Currently on 24 inch 1920 x 1080, but I have plans of going to a 27 inch 2560 x 1440 at some point this year. Kinda waiting to see if prices will ever drop on G-Sync monitors.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB w/ Win 10 64-bit | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus VW246H
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17568
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:14 pm

NVidia's proprietary G-Sync system maintains its price premium. G-Sync monitors cost about $200 more than otherwise-identical monitors without variable refresh rate.
VESA standard adaptive sync ("FreeSync") is nearly free. FreeSync monitors cost $0 to $20 more than otherwise-identical monitors without variable refresh rate.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:05 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
NVidia's proprietary G-Sync system maintains its price premium. G-Sync monitors cost about $200 more than otherwise-identical monitors without variable refresh rate.
VESA standard adaptive sync ("FreeSync") is nearly free. FreeSync monitors cost $0 to $20 more than otherwise-identical monitors without variable refresh rate.


That's why I'm waiting it out for a few months. Hopefully Nvidia will start using FreeSync or maybe prices of G-sync will become more reasonable.

Any suggestions on the SSD? Thanks
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB w/ Win 10 64-bit | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus VW246H
 
EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:17 pm

G-sync HDR and Freesync 2 were announced at CES in January, so I'd expect monitor prices to get higher rather than lower.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17568
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 pm

RickyTick wrote:
I'm waiting it out for a few months. Hopefully Nvidia will start using FreeSync or maybe prices of G-sync will become more reasonable.
If you're going to wait two to three months, it is likely that a Radeon Vega + FreeSync monitor would provide better performance for your dollar than a GeForce GPU and expensive proprietary G-Sync monitor would.


RickyTick wrote:
Any suggestions on the SSD?
If money is no object, then PCIe+NVMe drives like the Patriot Hellfire or the Samsung 960 Evo offer more performance than SATA drives. However, a SATA SSD is likely to be less expensive per GB.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
Kretschmer
Gerbil XP
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Final decisions for new build

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
NVidia's proprietary G-Sync system maintains its price premium. G-Sync monitors cost about $200 more than otherwise-identical monitors without variable refresh rate.
VESA standard adaptive sync ("FreeSync") is nearly free. FreeSync monitors cost $0 to $20 more than otherwise-identical monitors without variable refresh rate.

The AOC 27" GSync was $580 recently; that's barely more than the cheapest 27" 1440P GSync IPS, and the cheapest FreeSync IPS (MG279Q) only runs at 90Hz with FreeSync enabled. $200 premium is a bit of out date.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17568
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Final decisions for new build

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 am

Of course, it's great if you can buy an item that you want during a sale. Comparing the discounted price of one item to the list price of another is disingenuous.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
Kretschmer
Gerbil XP
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 am

Re: Final decisions for new build

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Of course, it's great if you can buy an item that you want during a sale. Comparing the discounted price of one item to the list price of another is disingenuous.

Between the Viewsonic and AOC models, there's always a 27" GSync at or near $600. I'm just saying that the "$200 GSync premium" has tightened considerably for certain panels.
 
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Final decisions for new build

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:29 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
RickyTick wrote:
I'm waiting it out for a few months. Hopefully Nvidia will start using FreeSync or maybe prices of G-sync will become more reasonable.
If you're going to wait two to three months, it is likely that a Radeon Vega + FreeSync monitor would provide better performance for your dollar than a GeForce GPU and expensive proprietary G-Sync monitor would.


RickyTick wrote:
Any suggestions on the SSD?
If money is no object, then PCIe+NVMe drives like the Patriot Hellfire or the Samsung 960 Evo offer more performance than SATA drives. However, a SATA SSD is likely to be less expensive per GB.


I'm at the top end of my budget, so the NVMe drives are pushing me a little higher than I'd like to go.

I noticed that the Crucial MX300 1TB SATA is the same price as the Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 2280. Is there an advantage of one over the other, except for the obvious sata cables cluttering the case?
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB w/ Win 10 64-bit | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus VW246H
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: Final decisions for new build

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 am

RickyTick wrote:
Hi guys...me again.

My biggest dilemma is choosing the SSD. I'm looking at the 1TB Crucial MX300 or the Mushkin Reactor 1TB.

I'm a casual gamer. Nothing really super hard core, but I want it to be a top notch system.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks as always.


Both those drives are "OK Drives"--but a long way from top notch.
My recommendations would be to go up a notch to a 850EVO
You could sidestep to a NVME 600p but I have a hard time recommending that.
You could step up to a faster NVME then you'd be cooking on gas-but at more cost.

Not to throw a spanner in the works-
Personally I'd prefer 2 drives-one for boot and programs-one for games.
The game drive don't have to be as critical as the boot drive...........
good luck
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17568
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Final decisions for new build

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:48 am

A Samsung 850 Evo is $330/TB. Check out the performance charts here, particularly the random read response times at QD4:
http://techreport.com/review/31177/patr ... reviewed/2
The Samsung drive is more expensive than the cheapest SSDs (which go for $250/TB), but it performs better, too. The ADATA SU800 offers performance similar to the Crucial MX300. The 1.0 TB 2½" version is a Shell Shocker deal today for just $260 with promo code EMCSRDCJ2 .
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Final decisions for new build

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
A Samsung 850 Evo is $330/TB. Check out the performance charts here, particularly the random read response times at QD4:
http://techreport.com/review/31177/patr ... reviewed/2
The Samsung drive is more expensive than the cheapest SSDs (which go for $250/TB), but it performs better, too. The ADATA SU800 offers performance similar to the Crucial MX300. The 1.0 TB 2½" version is a Shell Shocker deal today for just $260 with promo code EMCSRDCJ2 .


With there being only $5 difference in price, is the 850 EVO gum stick a better option than the 2.5" drive?
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB w/ Win 10 64-bit | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus VW246H
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23566
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: Final decisions for new build

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:00 am

The M.2 and SATA versions of the 850 EVO should perform identically. Your motherboard has two x4 M.2 slots, so you can get the M.2 now if you want and still upgrade to a PCIe NVMe drive later without having to take the first drive out. If you only had one M.2 slot I'd advise against an AHCI M.2 drive, since you'd be stuck pulling it out later. I like the look of NVMe drives because you can skip a pair of connections and not have an extra SATA cable flopping around.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Final decisions for new build

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 am

RickyTick wrote:

I'm at the top end of my budget, so the NVMe drives are pushing me a little higher than I'd like to go.

I noticed that the Crucial MX300 1TB SATA is the same price as the Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 2280. Is there an advantage of one over the other, except for the obvious sata cables cluttering the case?


If you are at the top end of your budget, why not get an RX 480 as even the 8gb versions are running near $200 now, and then put the $130 savings v. the 1070 towards a solid 1TB SSD and the rest towards a solid Freesync monitor? I'm using an 8gb RX 480 right now and its absolutely perfect (with some headroom) at 1080p. I think the only limiting factor may be my older 3570K (overclocked to 4.4ghz).

I'm all for getting a higher end GPU, but I continue to have concerns of Nvidia cards long term viability compared to AMD. The AMD cards seem to slightly underperform right out of the gate, but have better tech built in for better longevity, like a much better implementation of async compute which seems to make a difference in DX12. And regardless, a 1070 is way overkill for 1080p.

For gaming, a SATA SSD is perfectly fine. I'm running old Samsung SATA SSDs and my load times are already crazy fast. Just look at the latest SSD reviews from TR and pick a drive (at least 500gb imo) that has solid price for performance. See [img=http://techreport.com/review/31177/patriot-hellfire-480gb-nvme-ssd-reviewed/7]here[/img] and [img=http://techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed/7]here[/img]. $269 for a 960 EVO seems pretty great, but even an older 850 EVO is essentially the same for game loading times - highly unlikely your games will notice differences in the rest of the stats between the two.

You can't really go wrong with any of your choices (as long as you avoid real bargain bin SSDs), so you'll be fine however you go.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest