Personal computing discussed

Moderator: JustAnEngineer

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Upgrading to CoffeeLake, or should I wait ?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:57 am

Hello,

I'm one of those guys who still uses SandyBridge based system. I'm actually lucky to have a system that lasted 5+ years and not that lucky because I couldn't afford a 2600k back then and settled with a 2500k. My sample was quite happy on 4.5k GHz with 60ish temps under load (degree celcius). I can and recently pushed it to 4.8 GHz (5 GHz for a just couple of benchmarks) @1.38V. I took it to 4.8 because I had stutters on Battlefield 1. However, my system was not that stable so moved back to 4.5 GHz... However, I cannot get same stability that I used to have. I think something (Mobo or RAM) is slowly dying out..

So, as coffeelake is out, I thought it's time to upgrade. My original plan was to wait for Cannonlake but K series of Cannonlake might not released (or will be released next year this time) and back then, my pc was doing well.
As I already have EVGA 970 SSC, a Noctua C14 cooler, Seasonic SII-12 750W PSU, I'll just need mobo, CPU and RAM.... And flash news, I cannot decide which mainboard I need.
I had very bad experiences in the past with MSI and Gigabyte so I tend to go for ASUS again (my current mobo is ASUS too. Z68-PRO GEN3). I found 2 fitting mobo;
ASUS TUF Z370 Pro
ROG Strix Z370-F
only difference between those 2 on spec sheet, is the sound chip. Pro is cheap with ALC 887 and F is more expensive and has SupremeFX sound chip. As I already have Asus Xonar DSX and I'm gonna use the sound chip on mobo only for voice comms and games. I guess it's not a big deal to have a bad one ? Besides this, there are no big differences between those two. Is there anythingelse worthy to go for ROG model ? In here, ROG is %25ish more expensive than TUF.

And another question, is Gigabyte aorus series are worth considering on coffelake ? I really hate that LED hype on mobos and Gigabyte promoting it like crazy. But if it's actually better on durability and stability than ASUS, I can consider getting one..

Finally, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea which RAM to get. I only know that I have to get DDR4 >< TR says even Intel benefits from faster RAM but only in some conditions. Is it worth getting faster and less RAM ? Like, 3200 MHz 16 gigs of RAM or 2600 32 gigs of RAM ? And which brand/model should I buy ? I'm really confused about RAM...
As an extra information, I have 1920x1200@60 Hz monitor so 144 Hz Gaming is unfortunately out of question for now :\ so I'll stick with my 970 for a little while... Until volta's out and IPS G-Sync monitors gets down to the prices that are right for me :\

Edit: some punctations and missing things..
i5-2500k@4.5 GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Upgrading to CoffeeLake, or should I wait ?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 am

First things first. Budget? A few more questions will follow.

Have any interest in mATX? What case are you using, or do you plan to buy a new one?
Is this computer mostly gaming and web browsing? Doing any video/photo editing/encoding?

Let's start there.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 am

Have you took a look at ASRock motherboards? I built mine and dad's rigs using them and never had a problem.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:41 pm

I too have been tempted to jump on Coffee Lake (also running a 2500k), but I think it's still too early. Even Microcenter only *just* dropped the 8600k down to $299, after keeping at full-blown $349 for some time (even $299 is still over $100 more than they usually charge for an i5 K-series). I would wait until the new assembly site improves supply a bit.

I'm personally going to save for a new GPU and 32" adaptive sync 1440p monitor first, and keep running the 2500k until.....probably Icy Lake.

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:05 pm

DancinJack wrote:
First things first. Budget? A few more questions will follow.

Have any interest in mATX? What case are you using, or do you plan to buy a new one?
Is this computer mostly gaming and web browsing? Doing any video/photo editing/encoding?

Let's start there.

Sorry, forgot to mention those.
I have a Mid-ATX case which is also in my sig line, Enermax Chakra. An aging case but I really like 250mm side fan. So, I have no immediate plans to switch to a new case. However, I have plans to move to water cooling and it's not possible to fit a 240mm Radiator in this case. I'll move to a more roomy case but it looks like 2018H2 or later.
I have no interest nor plans to go micro or nano ATX. I like expansion slots and I need a PCI-Express slot to use my Xonar DSX. I have a skystar card around somewhere... I'd like to put back on if I can.
Budgetwise, dunno. Every penny is too much atm :D I'm planning to upgrade my parents PC as it also shows signs of aging (AMD Athlon x2-250 with 4 gigs of RAM).
So, I'm just trying to find balance on budget/performance/durability; I'm skipping very tempting i5-8600k for future proofing and 2. hand value (it really matters in here). I like to overclock so I'm also skipping 8700. I always wanted a i7 k series anyway :P so, 8700k it is. As this costs me about $400, I'm planning $400 on the other 2 component; mobo and RAM. If I manage to stay around $800, I'll have some money left for dad's PC.
I can stretch that limit for future proofing but honestly, I don't want to spend $250 for a mobo because it has LED's or features I'll never use. I paid extra for the current Z68 ASUS because it had;
USB 3.0
SATA3 (GEN3, they call it)
Extra Durable Capacitors, safety measures (My previous PSU tried to Fry everything while dying and failed due excellent overvoltage protection ASUS has)
For such things, I can strech my $200 limit.
And finally, I live in Turkey ;) I can get things you recommend from newegg&amazon. Prices wont be same (import fees, shipping) but still, advices are vital for me. I can stretch limits if it means extra mileage for new setup
i5-2500k@4.5 GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:16 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Have you took a look at ASRock motherboards? I built mine and dad's rigs using them and never had a problem.

failed to multi-quote in previous post. I'll do in this :D ASRock is a very good value product as far as I experienced. If you push it however, it does not behave like premium mainboards. I see traces of good ol' ABIT in ASRock but they need some premium components to compete on high-end..
The Egg wrote:
I too have been tempted to jump on Coffee Lake (also running a 2500k), but I think it's still too early. Even Microcenter only *just* dropped the 8600k down to $299, after keeping at full-blown $349 for some time (even $299 is still over $100 more than they usually charge for an i5 K-series). I would wait until the new assembly site improves supply a bit.

I'm personally going to save for a new GPU and 32" adaptive sync 1440p monitor first, and keep running the 2500k until.....probably Icy Lake.

My original plan to get an extra pair of RAM to uprade to 16 GB RAM and wait 'till 10nm tick or tock K series i7 CPU's. In whole November, my 2500k screamed that it does not work anymore :\ I might just go for CoffeeLake and upgrade it on 2019 with IceLake if it brings phenomenal performance gains...I really doubt it tho.

Wren
Gerbil

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Intel is apparently introducing Z390 and mainstream 8C/16T processors next year sometime. Also Ryzen 2000 series is expected to hit around February-ish, which may have an effect on the prices of Coffee Lake as it stands. I recently bought an I3-8350K and relatively low-cost Asrock Z370 motherboard and I plan to upgrade to an 8700K when (hopefully) the prices get lowered due to Ryzen 2000.

8700K and 8600K are really expensive at the moment (especially in here in the UK) and even I think a little too much at MSRP. Hopefully AMD can counter it with a competitive Ryzen 7 2700 part costing less than 8700K and hopefully on 12nm overclocks high enough to beat it universally.
Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.025 GHz | 16GB @ 3200 MHz C14 | MSI B350 PC MATE| Asus Turbo GTX 1070 Ti | Samsung Polaris-thingy M.2 SSD | Samsung 850 PRO 128GB | 3x 1TB HDDs |650W Seasonic G-Series Gold |NZXT H440 |Creative Soundblaster Z

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:42 pm

allreadydead wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

failed to multi-quote in previous post. I'll do in this :D ASRock is a very good value product as far as I experienced. If you push it however, it does not behave like premium mainboards. I see traces of good ol' ABIT in ASRock but they need some premium components to compete on high-end.

I've used a couple of ASRocks, one of them had some DRAM stability issues at stock clocks and timings, which did not impress. But I've occasionally seen that issue with other boards (even "premium" ones) from other vendors too, so I'm not going to dock them a lot of points for it.

I generally still prefer Asus though; they have rarely let me down. (I also remain quite impressed with my Asus M3A78-CM; exceptional stability, excellent onboard audio for its day, and kept receiving CPU compatibility BIOS updates all the way up until the hex core Phenom II chips came out. It served as my primary desktop for several years, and remains in service to this day as my file server... we're coming up on 10 years of service. Not bad for a board that was just barely above budget tier.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:45 pm

I am in the same boat. I still have Nehalem. It is almost 8 years old. I only upgrade video card every 2 years. If you had waited for so long you might want to wait until Z390 in 2018 H2 and either Cannon or Ice Lake

I have a Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti video card. I am very pleased with it. I expect motherboards to be just as good. I would not say that it is more durable and stable than Asus or vice versa. All brands suffer from failures.

I would consider 32GB of RAM because many titles now recommend 16GB.
Alienware: Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1.5TB HD | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti | Dell WFP 3008 30" 2560x1600 | Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Wren wrote:
Intel is apparently introducing Z390 and mainstream 8C/16T processors next year sometime. Also Ryzen 2000 series is expected to hit around February-ish, which may have an effect on the prices of Coffee Lake as it stands. I recently bought an I3-8350K and relatively low-cost Asrock Z370 motherboard and I plan to upgrade to an 8700K when (hopefully) the prices get lowered due to Ryzen 2000.

8700K and 8600K are really expensive at the moment (especially in here in the UK) and even I think a little too much at MSRP. Hopefully AMD can counter it with a competitive Ryzen 7 2700 part costing less than 8700K and hopefully on 12nm overclocks high enough to beat it universally.

I red something around that on anand IIRC. It's not confirmed by Intel but they never confirm anyway.
I seriously waited and considered Ryzen, espacially 1700/1700X, but AMD being AMD all over, pushed me off with it's little tiny problems that made my inner geek go berserk. My main focus for this PC is gaming (about 90%) and average framerates and framerate consistency is vital. TR benchmarks clearly showed, Ryzen does a good job on average FPS but frame latency is a big problem.. It looks like it's an architectural issue so it would get better but won't go away on new Ryzens. So, no AMD for me but for my dad's PC, a 1300 based system is an option.
So, I'm totally ignoring current Ryzens and next gen of it. If I had to do work related things (light coding in C# for Document management system, SQL and Reporting, other stuff on background) in my own PC, I'd go for Ryzen in a heartbeat.
michael_d wrote:
I am in the same boat. I still have Nehalem. It is almost 8 years old. I only upgrade video card every 2 years. If you had waited for so long you might want to wait until Z390 in 2018 H2 and either Cannon or Ice Lake

I have a Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti video card. I am very pleased with it. I expect motherboards to be just as good. I would not say that it is more durable and stable than Asus or vice versa. All brands suffer from failures.

I would consider 32GB of RAM because many titles now recommend 16GB.

If my 2500k let me, I'd like to see at least CES before jumping to coffeelake. But if 8C/16T 10 nm K series CPU's will be out same time next year, it's a bit too much wait for me and my 2500k :\
I'll delay the purchase a bit to let Intel push more chips to the vendors to make prices to go MSRP or lower level.

just brew it! wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

failed to multi-quote in previous post. I'll do in this :D ASRock is a very good value product as far as I experienced. If you push it however, it does not behave like premium mainboards. I see traces of good ol' ABIT in ASRock but they need some premium components to compete on high-end.

I've used a couple of ASRocks, one of them had some DRAM stability issues at stock clocks and timings, which did not impress. But I've occasionally seen that issue with other boards (even "premium" ones) from other vendors too, so I'm not going to dock them a lot of points for it.

I generally still prefer Asus though; they have rarely let me down. (I also remain quite impressed with my Asus M3A78-CM; exceptional stability, excellent onboard audio for its day, and kept receiving CPU compatibility BIOS updates all the way up until the hex core Phenom II chips came out. It served as my primary desktop for several years, and remains in service to this day as my file server... we're coming up on 10 years of service. Not bad for a board that was just barely above budget tier.)

This is exactly what I'm looking for, a platform that will endure years under overclock and heavy use. I red/saw (Linus Tech Tips ? I cannot remember where) new Gigabyte boards are more consistent and reliable under heavy load.Dunno, I just can't trust Gigabyte ...

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:45 pm

I've used a number of Gigabyte boards both at home and at work and haven't had any trouble. Have also used Asus and they are also good, as per their reputation. Though you do pay a bit more for Asus generally, get what you pay for rings true fairly often with PC hardware. I haven't done much overclocking on these boards though, so can't comment in that respect.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:39 am

My new 8700k is currently happy at 4.6GHz (which isn't pushing it) on an ASRock Killer SLI/ac. It was US$129 at the 'Egg, hard to beat, very good reviews, and my only real complaint is that there's one less fan header than I'd like.

I'm also using an H115i which is a 280mm radiator and it has been silent regardless of the overclocks I've tried. Really hard to complain. RAM is a set of Corsair 2x16GB DDR4-3000 C15 that I got before the memory market crapped the bed, so all I can say is to watch for sales. Faster helps a bit, sure, but so does actually having enough RAM, so get enough and then worry about memory speed and latency.

I'm planning on digging into the overclocking again in the near future, but for now it works well.

[I'm also not a fan of the RGB madness that has taken over, but I am a fan of white, which this ASRock can be made to do :D ]
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C
Canon EOS-M|11-22 IS|22/2|EF-M 18-55

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 am

Mainboards shows their true nature under heavy loads and overclocking pressure. When you set some higher voltage and keep heavy load on CPU, those extra VRM's on the board starts to do their job. Some does well; even on extreme conditions, mobo keeps the voltage and the current as steady as possible. Better mobos has less deviation and the best ones keeps it steady.
On golden overclocking era of AMD processors, I saw a MSI mobos capacitor pop while trying to overclock the CPU. We were even not pushing it to the upper limits yet. As the mobo was brand new, they gave us a new one. New one was so unstable and Vdrop was so high we immediately gave it back paid some extra and got an ASUS.
On a couple Gigabyte mobo from different eras, I experienced massive Vdrops and voltage instability on RAM's causing overclock fail. Like, we were setting RAM Voltage to 1.5V and mobo was applying 1.3V. That was causing boot failures and even it manages to boot, it was crashing on windows load.. and my latest gigabyte board (for Q6600, I think it was DS-35 or something) was picky on RAM; even RAM modules on compability list failed to boot..
I'm also aware that every mainboard, every chipset is different. So, if Aorus is good, I can still get one.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 am

allreadydead wrote:
On golden overclocking era of AMD processors, I saw a MSI mobos capacitor pop while trying to overclock the CPU.

Early '00s MSI mobos would pop their capacitors if you just looked at 'em funny; they were one of the brands most affected by the capacitor plague. My MSI Slot A board blew several of its capacitors just sitting there running stock. After a DIY recap job it was returned to service as a file server, where it did an admirable job for many years.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MJZ82
Gerbil

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm in much the same situation... on an i5 2500k that only in the last year or less has suddenly become a major bottleneck. And my previous system had a Q6600 as well. There's always something new and better around the corner, but I decided to splurge a bit and get an i7 8700k. FWIW, my thinking is to get 16GB of fast RAM, and perhaps in a year or two if that seems it isn't cutting it, I can add more and hopefully prices will come down by then. This is less memory than my current system, but I think it will be ok, in particular since with fast SSDs these days a little paging isn't as big a deal. Also if I have a specific workload like ML/rendering/etc where I temporarily need a bit more power, I can spin up a cloud service to handle that and only pay by the hour. I think this is the right time for me, I'm glad I didn't upgrade a year or two ago when I had considered it, and I think it's not worth waiting any longer.

Good luck!

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:04 pm

MJZ82 wrote:
There's always something new and better around the corner, but I decided to splurge a bit and get an i7 8700k. FWIW, my thinking is to get 16GB of fast RAM, and perhaps in a year or two if that seems it isn't cutting it, I can add more and hopefully prices will come down by then

Just did the same thing and ordered this weekend, albeit I have 16GB in the current gaming computer it will be replacing.

There seem to be certain optimal windows in time to purchase hardware. They're only reliably figured in retrospect, but I think this might be one of them.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 am

The optimal time to splurge on RAM was a year and a half ago... :(
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:39 am

Hence the 16.

But, yeah :cry:

MJZ82
Gerbil

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:57 pm

So just venting a bit... since my doorstep is highly visible, I chose to have Amazon deliver my new CPU to their locker service. After a 'missed delivery' and a few more days' waiting, I received a refund notice from Amazon with no explanation. Perhaps the locker was full and they didn't want to hold on to the package (being delivered via Amazon's own delivery service). So I've now had to start with an entirely new order and am waiting once again for it to ship.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

MJZ82 wrote:
So just venting a bit... since my doorstep is highly visible, I chose to have Amazon deliver my new CPU to their locker service. After a 'missed delivery' and a few more days' waiting, I received a refund notice from Amazon with no explanation. Perhaps the locker was full and they didn't want to hold on to the package (being delivered via Amazon's own delivery service). So I've now had to start with an entirely new order and am waiting once again for it to ship.

Took four days for stuff I shipped to my closest locker due to it being full, but they eventually delivered it.

I wish they had an option to send it another way when that happens.

End User
Gold subscriber

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 pm

My previous build has a Gigabyte motherboard and I've been very happy with it. So much so I bought another Gigabyte motherboard for my new gaming PC build.
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" - Colin McRae

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:57 am

Ok, KitGuru gave the information.. But honestly, it wasnt THE information I was looking for :\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czRO7R_KWA0
And this
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/am ... index.html
He is basicly saying
  • 5 GHz 12/24 AMD Ryzen 2 CPU's are coming. And according to that leak, it will be same prices
  • New Ryzen will fit old mobos but it wont work ?? same socket as promised but requires new mobo..
  • Canondale is no good according to Intel. Because 14++++++++++ process is sooooooooooo good, first gen 10nm cannot keep up even with die shrink advantages.
  • Canondale is not only not-so-good, it will be launched end of 18.. which is basicly a year from now
  • And the horror, 390 chipset is coming to support 8 core Coffeelake or whateverlake it is.
I'm back playing Warhammer Online which is on a private server now and called Return of the Reckoning. It's not a demanding game as AAA FPS games so I'll wait and see what AMD will offer with Ryzen 2 and what Intel is planning with 390 if it ever exists. Meanwhile, I'll keep on an eye on deals

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 am

allreadydead wrote:
Ok, KitGuru gave the information.. But honestly, it wasnt THE information I was looking for :\
And this
He is basicly saying
  • 5 GHz 12/24 AMD Ryzen 2 CPU's are coming. And according to that leak, it will be same prices
  • New Ryzen will fit old mobos but it wont work ?? same socket as promised but requires new mobo..
  • Canondale is no good according to Intel. Because 14++++++++++ process is sooooooooooo good, first gen 10nm cannot keep up even with die shrink advantages.
  • Canondale is not only not-so-good, it will be launched end of 18.. which is basicly a year from now
  • And the horror, 390 chipset is coming to support 8 core Coffeelake or whateverlake it is.
I'm back playing Warhammer Online which is on a private server now and called Return of the Reckoning. It's not a demanding game as AAA FPS games so I'll wait and see what AMD will offer with Ryzen 2 and what Intel is planning with 390 if it ever exists. Meanwhile, I'll keep on an eye on deals

While I would wait until Jan or Feb to build, if however you can get a good price on a i7-8700 and board, GO FOR IT!!!

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 am

whm1974 wrote:
if however you can get a good price on a i7-8700 and board, GO FOR IT!!!

That's probably not going to happen until Q2 2018.

The vanilla 8700 has been perpetually out of stock everywhere and the 8700K has been hovering just under $500 since launch. Add a cooler, add a board, hope for a discount and you're still looking at $600 ballpark figure.

If I can get an 6C/12T 4.5GHz Zen+ Ryzen5 in April next year for ~$250 there's no way in hell I want to pay Intel and the price-gougers over the odds. My Haswell can last me just fine with its DDR3 until then. Hell, at today's ridiculous DRAM prices just to match my current workstation (4790 + 32GB DDR3) I'd need to pay over a grand. For what, maybe 30% improvement?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
if however you can get a good price on a i7-8700 and board, GO FOR IT!!!

That's probably not going to happen until Q2 2018.

The vanilla 8700 has been perpetually out of stock everywhere and the 8700K has been hovering just under $500 since launch. Add a cooler, add a board, hope for a discount and you're still looking at $600 ballpark figure.

If I can get an 6C/12T 4.5GHz Zen+ Ryzen5 in April next year for ~$250 there's no way in hell I want to pay Intel and the price-gougers over the odds. My Haswell can last me just fine with its DDR3 until then. Hell, at today's ridiculous DRAM prices just to match my current workstation (4790 + 32GB DDR3) I'd need to pay over a grand. For what, maybe 30% improvement?

In your case I would be waiting a while as well. And I really hope memory prices go down next year.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Microcenter dropped their prices again; $249 for the 8600k and the i7 8700k for $399. That's still about $70 more than they usually charge for similar, but with additional cores and such, they might only go down another $20-30 if that.

With everything else still high, I'd continue to wait.

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm not really concerned about AMD side of the things. They will probably improve Zen a bit but I really don't expect them to go that far.. like, 5 GHz 12 Core Ryzen.
What really concerns me, is the probability of 8 core coffeelakes and their probable need of 390 chipset. My previous experience with mobos tells me, if I get a 370 and/or 6 core CL, I will never upgrade it for 390 and/or 8 core CL. I'm too lazy to rebuild same system twice :P
I have a Noctua C14 and pretty sure it will fit on a 370 mobo.If it doesnt, Noctua is more than willing to mail me fitting fittings (doh). I'll get a i7 K series processor no matter what. IF Ryzen 2 turns out to have 5 GHz $359 part, then, I'll get Ryzen 2.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 pm

allreadydead wrote:
And this
He is basicly saying

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7 ... oke_slide/

allreadydead
Silver subscriber
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am

jihadjoe wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
And this
He is basicly saying

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7 ... oke_slide/

Well, yeah. I found that too and came here to post it but it was too late :P
Still, 390 chipset and 8core CL bothers me. I'll wait for CES and probably for AMD's Ryzen 2 scores on Feb..

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

I just got a i7-8700k from newegg like 2 weeks ago. It's ~400 USD on newegg.com right now:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6819117827