Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Computer Failure

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am

Hey guys. You all helped me build my first PC about 2 years ago. As of this week, it will turn on, but does not relay any information to my monitor. Lights and fans come on for everything, but no display.

Here is what I have tried so far (I'm no PC wiz):

1) The monitor still works -- I plugged it into a laptop and it operated fine.
2) I cleared the CMOS. I found a guide online that suggested doing that, so I tried the method of removing the battery from the motherboard. Hopefully that was an okay thing to do? =O

I guess my next step is to reseat the components? Any other suggestions or general PC wizardry that you all have to offer?

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: Computer Failure

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am

When you start it up does the hard drive light blink as if it's loading up your OS?

What's your graphics card (or is your monitor hooked up to the motherboard's onboard graphics)?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am

Does the CPU have integrated graphics? I'd be tempted to yank the graphics card and try to integrated to see if it's a dead card. Reseating is good. Clearing the CMOS is also good.

Trying to figure out what's wrong if those things don't solve it is what becomes maddening. :lol:

This is your PC right? viewtopic.php?f=33&t=116425
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:56 am

Hard drive light comes on.

I have an ASUS GTX 970. It's light turns on also.

My CPU has integrated graphics. I'll try removing the graphics card. (Trying to figure out how to remove it now lol....)

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Yes that's the thread. The final parts list is on one of the later pages.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKvynQ --- it's basically this, except I got a 500w power supply

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Took the graphics card out and plugged my monitor into the motherboard. No display still

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:25 pm

1. Are you sure you still put the hdmi cable in the right slot (the 970 slot, not the one in the mobo)? Someone messed with the pc cables without you knowing?
2. Are you sure the GTX 970 is still good? Tried it in another pc?

Did the video go away suddenly while you were on the pc? or did one day you push the on button it was like this?

Steps to take out the card.
Take off the screws holding the graphic card on your pc case near where the hdmi cables go into the cards with a screw driver. Then pull out the cables from your power supply. Finally push down gently on the tabs on the motherboard on the edge of the card on the opposite side of the hdmi cables. (sometimes the tabs are hard to see). Now gently pull the whole card gently up.

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Cables definitely did not get messed with, I'm the only one that uses it and I haven't changed anything in ages. I'm not sure if the 970 is still good. The light DOES turn on for the 970, though. I don't have another PC to test it in.

I did have a windows blue screen of death with the frown face that same day. Then I tried to restart and it wouldn't boot. So it did happen suddenly.

Also, I mispoke about the hard drive light. My storage drive for media comes on, but my OS is installed on a Crucial BX100 250GB SSD. How can I know if it's turning on or not? Amazon has a review from one guy saying he's gone through multiple of these drives before the 3 year mark. I've had mine for 2 years and 4 months now I think. Maybe it's the drive then.

Here's that review https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... L8G1X7S9KJ

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 pm

the_grinch wrote:
Cables definitely did not get messed with, I'm the only one that uses it and I haven't changed anything in ages. I'm not sure if the 970 is still good. The light DOES turn on for the 970, though. I don't have another PC to test it in.

I did have a windows blue screen of death with the frown face that same day. Then I tried to restart and it wouldn't boot. So it did happen suddenly.

In that case, disconnect/unplug everything (both data and power connectors) except the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, then try to boot with only the integrated graphics. Any results?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Okay, after looking at your last post,

I wan to ask, is there any small LED that lights up on the motherboard? Near the CPU, the memory or the SATA ports or the PCIe slots?

After checking out the LED situation, I think it's time to breadboard.

Take out every single thing out of your computer case. (I mean everything).
Now put your mobo (with cpu and heat sink still attached to it) onto the motherboard box (the box that came with your motherboard (if you don't have a motherboard case, find a cardboard, or a wooden table if you don't care about scratches on it.
Plug in the power (24 pin and the 8 pin cpu power). Also the HDMI cable onto the mobo. plug in the heatsink fan pins. Put on 1 stick of memory anywhere on the board. Find the two pins for power (where you put the PWR jumpers from the case onto the motherboard). Touch the two pins with the tip of your screwdriver. It should turn the pc on.

Now what happens? Fan turn on? Any LEDs? screen turn on or not?

Also, about the Hard drive failure, it shouldn't mess with your display. Something else is wrong.
In order of likelihood . 1 being the most likely.
1. GPU failure (despite light turns on, card still might be dead).
2. Display cable dead.
3. Mobo dead.
4. Memory dimm stick dead.
Last edited by Darthutos on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:37 pm

No luck. I think I'm doing it right... I unplugged both harddrives from the mobo and unplugged their power. CPU fan is running and RAM is still plugged in. Does it make a difference that I'm using a DVI cord?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

DVI or VGA are the two most reliable methods for getting a graphics signal, so if you can't light a monitor with one of those two, we're getting closer to writing off the motherboard.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I don't think my mobo or CPU have LEDs?

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm

It won't be because of the hard drives (stuff put into sata ports).

See the post above for likelihood for failure.

Although first, can you find an hdmi cable and use that?
If your monitor only work with dvi, then move your pc to where you tv is and use the tv for a temporary monitor. This will tell you whether the problem is with the dvi cable. (or dvi port on GPU).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Have you installed the Meltdown/Spectre patches?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Does the mobo HAVE to be out of the case to breadboard? I unplugged all cables and removed all components. Then I plugged in the 24 pin power, 8 pin power, CPU fan, 1 slot of RAMM, plugged in the power supply, DVI cable (which worked with a laptop earlier today), then touched the power with my screw driver. The CPU fan hesitated at first, but is now spinning, but still no display.

I don't know what the Meltdown/Spectre patches are, so no =)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 pm

the_grinch wrote:
I don't know what the Meltdown/Spectre patches are, so no =)

Did you run Windows Update or allow auto-updates for the 1/9/2018 Patch Tuesday cycle?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm

I can't remember precisely... But I typically install updates within a day or two of seeing them.

Also... I was doing something stupid. When I tried the bread boarding, I was putting the RAM in the wrong slot. Hah. It worked this time. I tried both dimms of RAM and both work. Next step.... SSD with OS on it?

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:58 pm

The reason for taking out of the case is to eliminate shorts. What if a screw fell inside of the case? It will eliminate the possibility.

A dead mobo that refuses to output dvi either out of mobo or a pcie graphic.... hmmm....

Well your monitor works with dvi cable on a laptop, so that tells me both cable and monitor is good.

1. Have you tried to use another stick of dimm? Different positions for dimm stick?
2. have you tried the hdmi option? tv?

what were you doing when the bsod came? youtube? twitch? social media? office software? photoshop or similar rendering? browsing web?

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Wait, something came on the monitor now? What do you mean it works? Everything is a ok?

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Darthutos wrote:
Wait, something came on the monitor now? What do you mean it works? Everything is a ok?

The first step in the breadboarding works. I have mobo, CPU, and both sticks of RAM, and nothing else. Monitor is connected to mobo via DVI and it will boot to the BIOS screen.

What do I plug in next. My SSD with OS on it?

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 pm

oh good. Yeah go ahead and put in the sata stuff.

So yeah, add stuff in until the display is gone (no longer post and you no longer can see bios screen)

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Plugged in the SSD. No display.

Then I unplugged the SSD and tried booting again. No display.... even though it was bringing up the BIOS without the SSD before.

What the heck is going on lol

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Take a look closely at the sata ports on the motherboard. See if any one of them are bent (Are they still all L shaped?)

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

They don't look bent at all

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

When you say you put dimms into wrong slots, what do you mean?

Take a look at the slots (correct one and the wrong one, whatever that is) and see if there is damage.
And the dimms themselves.

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm

First time I put the RAM back in I only put one dimm into the "3" slot, instead of the "1" slot. Then I put the RAMM into the "1" slot and it worked fine. Then I add the "3" and both worked fine together. Wasn't til I added the SSD into the mix that it wouldn't boot.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:30 pm

the order of dimms being put in don't matter. I mean it's recommended but it's not a deal breaker.
Okay at this point I absolutely need to ask is the thing out of the case?
If not, please please take stuff out of the case.

the_grinch
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Okay I for realsies took everything out of the case. Mobo and PSU are sitting on cardboard boxes. It booted up again with just the CPU, RAM, and Mobo connected to DVI. I then tried it with the SSD outside of the case and on the box as well. No display.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:59 pm

okay
now pull the sata ssd out of the port.
Will it boot up every time without the ssd now?
If so, try putting the ssd into different port. You should have more than one sata port.
I took a look at your mobo, you should have 4 sata port with 6 gb speed and 2 with 3 gb speed.
Have you tried different sata ports for the ssd?
Tell me if putting ssd into different sata ports make a difference.